Gransnet forums

Health

Whats actually is in the over 65s flu vaccine?

(98 Posts)
Bea65 Sun 17-Oct-21 12:47:51

Had my first over 65s flu jab yesterday and woken up few times during night with hot sweats and my chest looks sun-tanned this morning. Also a few mad dashes to loo with the 'runs' . Not pleasant I know but just wondered if any other over 65s have experienced these side effects? Would love to know more what actually makes up the over 65s vaccine?

Santana Mon 18-Oct-21 08:25:41

Bit achy but slept it off. The lump on my arm was spectacular, although not that painful.

Froglady Mon 18-Oct-21 08:30:47

The only thing I had was a sore arm and couldn't sleep on that side for 1 night but that was it.

Franbern Mon 18-Oct-21 08:33:44

Esspee

OH and I had the vaccine on Saturday. We are both perfectly well, we always are.

I make a point of never reading the possible side effects of any medication. My mother consistently got side effects to everything until I instructed the pharmacist to give those leaflets to me when I collected her medication. I explained to her when asked that there was no leaflet supplied as there were no side effects. Worked a treat. ?

Espee - loved that story re. your mother. My best friend (sadly, died many years back), used to read those leaflets in great detail and then contact me as she was panicking as she was 'having' virtually every one of the side effects they listed (even those of one in a hundred thousand, etc.). I do, sometimes, think that too much information can be dangerous for many people.
I have been having my annual 'flu jab for nearly twenty years, never had any reaction - one year did have a very sore arm - large lump, swelling and redness - put that down more to the jab being done badly, than the actual vaccine.
Expectation of feeling unwell can lead to many reports of rections.

Grannynannywanny Mon 18-Oct-21 08:48:02

Bea65 last year was my first with the over 65 variety of the flu vaccine. I usually have no after effects but last year I had a raised temperature and gastric upset for 24hrs.

The pharmacist mentioned over 65s are given an adjuvanted version. She described it as having an immunity boosting ingredient as our immune systems start to wane as we age.

henetha Mon 18-Oct-21 10:29:33

I don't know what is in the flu jab, but I do know that I have been having them for over 20 years now with no side effects other than a sore arm. And never caught the flu, fortunately.

henetha Mon 18-Oct-21 10:32:00

I don't know what is in the flu jab, but I do know that I have been having them for over 20 years now with no side effects other than a sore arm. And never caught the flu, fortunately.

Bea65 Mon 18-Oct-21 11:32:19

MayBeMaw

Bea65

Had my first over 65s flu jab yesterday and woken up few times during night with hot sweats and my chest looks sun-tanned this morning. Also a few mad dashes to loo with the 'runs' . Not pleasant I know but just wondered if any other over 65s have experienced these side effects? Would love to know more what actually makes up the over 65s vaccine?

Unless one is a scientist/doctor/epidemiologist, who among us would understand the answer to your question OP ?

Well MayBeMaw as you can see from the replies from Elegran and Callistermon they have provided information I was curious to know about and am grateful for their research knowledge and time to answer my post. Your question slightly baffles me in that we have some very educated articulate GNs here who are willing to share information. It feels reassuring to know others have experienced similar reactions; equally good to know others not.
In the past I've never queried what goes into vaccines and it was hearing that the flu vaccine for over 65s was stronger, piqued my interest?

Shelflife Mon 18-Oct-21 11:34:28

DH and I also had ours on Saturday morning, both absolutely fine , no side effects for either of us.

MayBeMaw Mon 18-Oct-21 11:48:00

Callistemon

I posted this on another thread, this is what I found:

From the WHO website:

Egg-based Vaccines

an A/Victoria/2570/2019 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus;
an A/Cambodia/e0826360/2020 (H3N2)-like virus; and
a B/Washington/02/2019 (B/Victoria lineage)-like virus

Cell- or recombinant-based Vaccines

an A/Wisconsin/588/2019 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus;
an A/Cambodia/e0826360/2020 (H3N2)-like virus; and
a B/Washington/02/2019 (B/Victoria lineage)-like virus

Are you any the wiser Bea ?

Elegran has also quoted a very detailed explanation -which you could equally have accessed.
But are you any better informed for that knowledge?
As for anecdotal evidence- that is precisely that.
For every 6 posters who have had side-effects half a dozen will say they had none.
Sore arms? Some.
Flu-ey cold-type symptoms? Others .
Headaches? Some
Sleepy? Others
Those who claim to have had a mild dose of a flu-type reaction have probably not read this -

Can a flu vaccine give you flu?
flu vaccines cannot cause flu illness. Flu vaccines given with a needle (i.e., flu shots) are made with either inactivated (killed) viruses, or with only a single protein from the flu virus. The nasal spray vaccine contains live viruses that are attenuated (weakened) so that they will not cause illness

You asked what exactly is in the vaccine - I merely asked whether knowing the precise chemical components would help most people on GN towards a greater understanding.
But I hope Elegran and Callistemon ‘s replies have answered your original question.

Happygirl79 Mon 18-Oct-21 14:12:16

Can't get booked in anywhere for my over 65s flu jab.. No appointments available

Callistemon Mon 18-Oct-21 15:13:51

Are you any the wiser Bea ? ?

I just like to know what's hanging around waiting to strike!

I did have a sore, achey arm for a few days.
DH had both flu and Covid vaccines in the same arm which didn't become sore.

growstuff Mon 18-Oct-21 15:24:21

I was so distracted by the dishy pharmacist, who administered the jab, that I hardly even noticed the needle going in. I've had absolutely no after effects.

Nandalot Mon 18-Oct-21 15:51:06

Just a sore arm here, nothing else. DH the same.

M0nica Mon 18-Oct-21 17:04:37

Had my flu jab this morning. As ever no side effects.

lemsip Mon 18-Oct-21 18:00:28

no side effects whatsoever after my flu jabs.

grannydarkhair Mon 18-Oct-21 18:28:42

I didn’t know the flu jab was different for over 65s than under 65s. I’ve had two “overs”, had exactly the same reaction to them as I had to the previous numerous “unders”; sore, red, hot, inflamed around the injection site, this lasts for four to five days. Not had this years jab yet, but letters are on the way from my GP surgery.

M0nica Tue 19-Oct-21 13:57:19

Now over 24 hours since I had my jab and still no side effects.

Bea65 Tue 19-Oct-21 19:22:51

Callistemon

^Are you any the wiser Bea ?^ ?

I just like to know what's hanging around waiting to strike!

I did have a sore, achey arm for a few days.
DH had both flu and Covid vaccines in the same arm which didn't become sore.

Hi, yes I think i am a little wiser thank you?

Callistemon Tue 19-Oct-21 20:13:05

H1N1 (Spanish flu) is still around in a mutated form.
Thank goodness for vaccines.

Kate1949 Tue 19-Oct-21 22:02:27

We've just had an email to say Well Pharmacy are sending out flu buses equipped Flu Buses to several Co-ops to get as many people as possible vaccinated.

Kate1949 Tue 19-Oct-21 22:08:38

Should have read fully equipped Flu Buses.

polnan Wed 20-Oct-21 11:24:39

I am 85, never had any reaction to flu jabs I have had every year, not that I noticed anyway

I was unusually sleepy this am. could be anything

Actually I didn`t know that over 65`s had any different jabs?????

sazz1 Wed 20-Oct-21 11:25:00

Didn't have any reaction at all to mine.
Have only felt ill twice in over 10years of having flu vaccine. Never reacted to pneumonia vaccine either.
But AZ covid vaccine I experienced lots of side effects
But OH was ok with it.

greenlady102 Wed 20-Oct-21 11:44:54

The over 65 vaccine contains an adjuvant which is an extra bit intended to stimulate the body's immune response as it was found that older people weren't getting as much protection from the standard flu vaccine as younger people were. the first year this happened, which was 2018 I had a stonker of a reaction and ended up in bed for 3 days and weary for a further 5. I remember it well as I urgently needed to renew my photo driving licence and my sister had to prop me up against the wall to take the photo because I couldn't stand unaided. Afterwards, when I was trying to find out what had happened I looked into "adjuvants" and found that people in the USA had been warned that folk getting the adjuvanted vaccine for the first time might experience a more severe reaction than usual and that this was quite safe although unpleasant. Bloody NHS has said nothing at all about this, just that there were nw the two vaccines and that o'65's can't have the non adjuvanted vaccine, you can't even buy it privately if you are o'65 because I asked.
www.news-medical.net/life-sciences/What-are-Adjuvants.aspx

pen50 Wed 20-Oct-21 12:01:53

Had my flu jab 25 September - pneumonia at the same time on the other arm. No side effects.