Gransnet forums

Health

Difficult decisions re grandchildren and Covid

(30 Posts)
Cabbie21 Mon 18-Oct-21 13:17:41

We have two tricky situations coming up.
DH continues to be very cautious as his health conditions make him vulnerable, though not extremely. ECV.
A grandson has a 14th birthday coming up. He has not yet been vaccinated, though the rest of the family have. They live locally, so I have seen him quite often, but always outside since covid. We have been invited to join them for a meal out, in a pub, but after some hesitation we have decided not to go. It was nice to be invited though, and nobody will take offence.

Another grandchild is 6 and we have not seen this family for over 18 months. There is a date in the diary, postponed from earlier in the year, when we had planned to meet outside and eat at a pub, outside if the weather permitted. It is likely to be too cold to do that in November.
We consider the greatest risk to us is likely to be via unvaccinated schoolchildren, and have been avoiding them. We want to see this family but DH is very reluctant because of the risk. We don't know what to decide.

4allweknow Tue 19-Oct-21 16:25:39

My DH is undergoing chemotherapy. At tge beginning he had to cancel flights to see family along with two day trip to Longleat. The Oncologist suggested no travel but if family could come and visit us that would be fine. Still told to basically shield from strangers,he does though enjoy a visit from family and grandchildren. Children have bern exposed to and carriers of Covid from the beginning. With all the testing going on now what was considered to be the case is now confirmed. I would meet with family but not in a public place.

Greciangirl Tue 19-Oct-21 16:58:04

My family and myself, partner, daughter, her partner and 6 year old grandson going out on Xmas day for a pub lunch.

Am now wondering if this is wise . We have all been vaccinated except grandson.

Have to decide if it’s a risk worth taking I guess.

Cabbie21 Wed 20-Oct-21 23:29:50

DH has now met up with his son. DH has stated he is not happy to eat in a pub, and there is no guarantee that the weather will be good enough to eat outside, so it is looking as if we will have to have them in our home- and guess who will end up cooking!
We will go to the park, I expect, but neither of us is very happy about having them inside. Our local relatives have not been inside our house all this time, except to go to the loo. With Covid cases rising, I guess we wont be the only ones worrying.

Cabbie21 Thu 21-Oct-21 18:31:53

Seeing the news tonight, and reading an email from the local authority with local higher Covid statistics, I now feel quite angry that we seem to be forced into a situation we have avoided. I don't know why this visit could not have happened anytime in the last six months, when the weather was better, and when our immunity from being fully jabbed was higher. DH and I are just coming up for 6 months since the second jab, so we are not yet eligible for the booster.
I think another conversation is on the cards.