Gransnet forums

Health

Drawing ointment. Who remembers it?

(108 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Sun 24-Oct-21 16:30:56

This morning my DD got a splinter in her finger. It turns out that she can't cope with splinters ! So my DH had to rescue our DD by removing it with my best eyebrow tweezers, while she screwed up her face and looked the other way. ( We will ignore the fact that she is in her late 30s!) But it reminded me of when we were little, if we got a splinter " drawing ointment " was put on the afflicted part of the body. Does anyone know what "drawing ointment " actually was and whether or not it actually worked?

Puzzled Sat 30-Oct-21 15:59:45

Remembered the name of the yellow sealking wax type salve. Glickens Salve., as I recall from MANY MANY years ago.
Splendid for drawing out splinters, and once the heat wa sover, less painful thatn digging with a needle!

HowVeryDareYou Sat 30-Oct-21 16:27:07

I can remember buying some stuff called Lion Ointment. It was good for all kinds of things.

Chigleys Tue 02-Nov-21 16:20:29

I agree with SuDonim, mag sulph.

Franbern Sat 06-Nov-21 15:42:11

One of my little fingers got on infection along side the nail. Slightly painful, but red and swelling showed the infection. Came to mind about this thread.
THEN.....I remembered a very basic 'drawing' technique for such infections and have been soaking that finger every few hours in a small bowl of hot water with lots of salt in it.
Even this first day, the effect is almost miraculous, and I should think that within 48 hours will be totally healed.

Salt is a wondrous healing compound - best way of treating any minor cut/would or infection.

Marydoll Sat 06-Nov-21 16:32:27

I have tried to buy Golden Eye ointment, it's sold out everywhere. When I asked in Boots, the pharmacist told me she had sold the last one to the woman in front of me.
The power of Gransnet! ?

Caleo Sat 06-Nov-21 19:46:16

Long ago doctors believed in a "laudable pus" . A laudable pus which forms around a foreign body will flush out the foreign body when the pus evacuates.

Caleo Sat 06-Nov-21 19:48:33

Bread poultice i.e. starch is good for "drawing out" the products of inflammation but I doubt any ointment will remove a foreign body.