Gransnet forums

Health

Has anyone come off or cut down Omaprazole, what’s your experiences.

(138 Posts)
Itsnell Tue 30-Nov-21 19:59:24

Hello. Has anyone cut out or reduced omeprazole? Why did you come off or reduce them? How did you feel and how long did it take you? What do you take now for acid reflux.

I’ve been on 20 mg daily omaprazole for acid reflux and a hiatus hernia since mid 2019. The pandemic has meant I’ve continued to get repeat prescriptions and haven’t had a medication review with my GP during this time, however,
I’m thinking I should try to cut them down or cut out altogether as I’m getting all sorts of symptoms which could be side effects of long term use of omeprazole (PPI) use eg nausea and stomach cramps, my IBS is worse, leg cramps and restless legs twitches. I’ve read reports of the long term effects of PPIs and it’s concerning. Ok I know you need to weigh up the benefits of taking ppis against the non benefits.
Look forward to hearing your stories

Gardner Sat 11-Dec-21 14:01:39

After suffering from SEVERE reflux for years,endoscopy etc.
My GP told me to stop using
ranitidine which I was prescribed after Omeprazole.

I took the decision to do some research on changing my diet .
Fingers crossed had 3 years without any major issues,even put the bed head down off blocks !
I don’t eat after 4.30/5pm ever.
None of the following
coffee
Tomatoes
Wine
Fizz of any description
Cut back on high fat food

Use Oat biscuits to nibble
Went gluten free ,best thing I’ve done .Can bake and cook most things now .
To avoid having reflux hasn't been easy but for me it’s worked.
All our family celebrations (pre covid) are at lunchtime.
Always have good old Gaviscon in the cupboard ,just in case .

Gardner Sat 11-Dec-21 14:05:52

Forgot the worst culprit
Onions

Ellie Anne Sat 11-Dec-21 14:17:39

This is interesting. I’ve been on it for years because of hiatus hernia. If I miss a dose I have terrible heartburn. Not aware of any side effects but am wondering if I should try to come if it.

SachaMac Sat 11-Dec-21 14:28:02

I have also been on this medication for many years. I did have a spell when I came off it after hearing scare stories. I ended up feeling terrible, awful chest pain and a hoarse voice. I was sent to see an ENT consultant who said I MUST continue with the Omeprazole, he doubled the dose and also advised me to take Gaviscon as well as the acid reflux was damaging my throat. My mother has been on it for over 20 years for acid reflux/hiatus hernia, her mother had perforated ulcers and my aunt had stomach cancer in her 50’s so stomach issues run in the family. I do worry about side effects but the medical advice was to carry on taking it to avoid the serious consequences of continually producing too much acid.

Romola Sat 11-Dec-21 14:32:49

My husband has been taking Lansaprazole for 10 years after the huge operation for oesophageal cancer. (Rare to survive 10 years.) He's 86 now and there are no signs of dementia. So there!

MissAdventure Sat 11-Dec-21 14:36:34

I was going to ask where is proof that doctors are knowingly giving a medication known to cause dementia?
I would also say that drinking lemon juice and other things is not really a good idea without input from your doctor.
Plus, acid indigestion is proven to increase the chance of throat cancer.

SachaMac Sat 11-Dec-21 14:43:51

Ps it’s interesting hearing how a change of diet helps some. I tried a Keto diet in the spring just to try and lose a few lockdown lbs, a side effect of this was my stomach issues improved and I felt much better. I just couldn’t stick to very low carb eating long term but it’s probably worth another try.

MissAdventure Sat 11-Dec-21 14:45:37

I know well that my symptoms are much better if I follow a very bland diet.
I don't want to, though!

GrauntyHelen Sat 11-Dec-21 15:01:00

I have acid reflux and a hiatus hernia been taking maximum dose omeprazole for 20 years without it I choke at every meal

polnan Sat 11-Dec-21 15:02:21

Sachamac... my mum , similarly had stomach ulcers which needed a major op.

so I think I may try to cut down on my night time Omeprazole. cos I know if I miss my morning one, I feel it before midday.

Gherkin Sat 11-Dec-21 15:17:11

PPI medication is known to deplete vitamin B12 so some symptoms some of you are experiencing could be related to that. I have very severe stomach problems and have been prescribed omeprazole which helps my other medication work but I also have pernicious anaemia through B12 deficiency so try not to take omeprazole every day. But it’s a catch22 situation for me. I would recommend having a test for B12 if having odd symptoms. Injections are recommended for life if B12 is low.

montymops Sat 11-Dec-21 15:28:53

I have been told that I must take omeprazole for the rest of my life - due to Barratts oesophagus- and a hiatus hernia- I haven’t noticed any side effects actually and have been on it now for about 5 years.

SueBdoo70 Sat 11-Dec-21 15:38:18

I took Omeprazole for a few weeks after discovering that I acid reflux. It helped, but not liking to take too many medications, I decided to alter my lifestyle. The two main things I was doing wrong was lying down too soon after meals ( I have osteoporosis in my spine ) and eating a big meal often late at night with an equally big glass of wine! Also, as it’s confession time, I am a bit of a chocoholic! I’m sure some of you are thinking this woman deserves to have acid reflux! So for me at least, identifying the things I shouldn’t eat was the first step. Bananas of all things can crease me unless eaten for breakfast with cereal. Then it’s small regular meals. Being apple shaped it definitely helped to lose some weight from my belly. I would also agree with sleeping on your left side as the acid is contained where it should be and raise the top end of your bed if you can. There are times of course when I eat too much and the wrong things. I find that my body adjusts to this by producing more acid. The problem then arises when I go back to sensible eating and the acid still flows in in expectation of a lot of food. To readjust, I keep a good supply of Rennies and Gaviscon in.

Bazza Sat 11-Dec-21 16:41:08

I’ve been on lansaprozole for some years, sometimes works better than others. I’m surprised that no one has mentioned the bright pink gloop called Peptobismal, much more effective for me than Gaviscon. Strangely out of stock everywhere at the moment although no one can tell me why.

MissAdventure Sat 11-Dec-21 16:46:16

It's probably because everyone is stopping their omeprazole. grin

Madwoman11 Sat 11-Dec-21 17:04:32

Lucca take a glug of Gaviscon Advanced before bed

Lucca Sat 11-Dec-21 17:29:31

Madwoman11

Lucca take a glug of Gaviscon Advanced before bed

Thanks but does it taste vile ?
I find the ginger tea thing and ginger cordial help a bit.
Seeing GP on Tuesday for a chat…..

songstress60 Sat 11-Dec-21 17:56:13

I had no idea about the side effects of omeprazole. Does it really cause Dementia? I do have severe leg cramps which I hear is one of the side effects but I have heard that hiatus hernia can lead to cancer if not treated.

Lillian40 Sat 11-Dec-21 18:37:47

I found all these comments interesting about Esomeprazole. I have taken all the other medication and had no relief. Esomeprazole can be bought anywhere over the counter with no particular health warning. I came across it by chance in Superdrug store and thought I would give it a try. I take it as soon as I get out of bed, an hour later I have breakfast and it has given me so much relief. I know you are only supposed to take it when required and not just daily. There is reference to side effects if you are allergic to some of the ingredients, also you are advised to consult your doctor if this medication has side effects. As it is sold over the counter it isn't harmful.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 11-Dec-21 19:08:09

I am stuck with it unfortunately, 2 lansaprozale daily, apparently my Hiatus Hernia has got bigger and is now 'huge'. don't think I have an alternative to taking the stuff but have the operation and that's not an easy one.

acornlady Sat 11-Dec-21 21:58:18

I had major surgery for oesophageal and gastric cancer in October 2015. Since then I have taken 20mg omeprazole at 12 pm and 6 pm. along with that I take famotidine at bedtime. I don't have the lower oesophageal sphincter which stops the stomach contents from being regurgitated so don't have much choice about taking omeperazole. I have noticed that should I miss one I know about it after 20 minutes. I don't feel as though I have any side effects.

Hils44 Sun 12-Dec-21 08:09:40

I read an article about liquorice tablets from Holland and Barrett that could replace omeprazile.. Told a friend and she tried them and said they worked

Frogs Sun 12-Dec-21 09:07:04

When I mentioned to my GP my concerns about taking Omeprozole long term she said I should stop researching all the scare stories that can be found in the internet about this and other drugs. She said these medications are thoroughly tested unlike alternative remedies suggested on line. I suppose you could say the scare stories are similar to ones that circulate on the internet about the Covid jab etc.

Naninka Sun 12-Dec-21 09:51:15

Shropshirelass

Omeprazole is a nasty drug, my DH is taking it. Stomach acid is very strong but most problems, heartburn and acid reflux are caused by too little stomach acid so that the stomach muscle does not close sufficiently and allows stomach acid to leak out. By increasing the acid, drinking apple cider vinegar, with the mother in it, and lemon juice in water (through a straw to protect tooth enamel) this increases the acid and causes the valve to close properly. I take acv daily and no problems now. I used to have shares in a well known indigestion remedy company! Fine for over two years now.

Mother???

Frogs Sun 12-Dec-21 10:05:12

I’m pleased for you Shropshirelass that cider vinegar worked for you but when I tried it my acid reflux got worse.