Gransnet forums

Health

Multivitamins, but Not Cocoa, Tied to Slowed Brain Aging

(76 Posts)
Blossoming Sun 05-Dec-21 12:38:09

There’s a very interesting article in today’s Medscape news letter.

“Taking a daily multivitamin for 3 years is associated with a 60% slowing of cognitive aging, with the effects especially pronounced in patients with cardiovascular (CVD) disease, new research suggests.
In addition to testing the effect of a daily multivitamin on cognition the COSMOS-Mind study also examined the effect of cocoa flavanols, but showed no beneficial effect.”

Link to the full article

www.medscape.com/viewarticle/962772?uac=374618CR&faf=1&sso=true&impID=3850178&src=mkm_ret_211205_mscpmrk_neuropsych_CTAD2021#vp_1

JillyJosie2 Tue 07-Dec-21 12:47:53

To answer a question upthread about low carbs and dementia risk

www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/does-a-low-carb-diet-keep-your-brain-young#Diet-and-brain-activity

Lots of research available, as ever!

MayBee70 Tue 07-Dec-21 14:14:00

I suffered from IBS for years but sorted it out myself after reading DrAli’s Nutrition Bible.

growstuff Tue 07-Dec-21 15:13:53

JillyJosie2

To answer a question upthread about low carbs and dementia risk

www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/does-a-low-carb-diet-keep-your-brain-young#Diet-and-brain-activity

Lots of research available, as ever!

That's not really evidence that a low carb diet reduces the risk of dementia. Firstly, it's a hypothesis and hasn't been trialled with real people. Secondly, it describes the state of the brain in people who are already experiencing symptoms of dementia. Dementia is a far more complex condition than that.

I was interested because I have been eating a low carb (fewer than 50 carbs a day) diet for years. I don't believe that a "no sugar" diet actually exists and wouldn't be healthy because it would exclude all fruit and many vegetables.

The disadvantage of eating a low carb diet is that energy has to come from somewhere and I eat more protein and (healthy) fat than recommended, which can have its own problems.

growstuff Tue 07-Dec-21 15:17:39

The key to the research is: “Therefore, if we can increase the amount of energy available to the brain by using a different fuel, the hope is that we can restore the brain to more youthful functioning.”

In other words, it's not so much carbohydrates which are causing dementia, but finding another fuel source which the brain can use.

growstuff Tue 07-Dec-21 15:22:16

Anybody, especially diabetics, attempting a Keto Diet (which is what an extremely low carb diet is) should read this:

biologydictionary.net/ketone-bodies/

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 07-Dec-21 16:23:25

I feel like saying to these experts, 'make up your mind,' as what is meant to be good for us one month is said to be bad for us the next.

Surely many of us can't go too far wrong with a fairly well balanced diet, fluids and exercise, etc, etc ... without going overboard.

growstuff Tue 07-Dec-21 16:47:49

lovebeigecardigans1955

I feel like saying to these experts, 'make up your mind,' as what is meant to be good for us one month is said to be bad for us the next.

Surely many of us can't go too far wrong with a fairly well balanced diet, fluids and exercise, etc, etc ... without going overboard.

But that doesn't sell books or pills. hmm

These people aren't "experts". They latch on to an idea which they sell and make money.

The truth is that it's far harder to have a healthy lifestyle than taking a pill or following a fad diet.

Welshwife Tue 07-Dec-21 17:16:10

My lymphoma cancer was successfully treated by a haematologist so very thorough blood tests. He can tell from these results what my diet is and tells me all is well except for my salt levels which are a bit too low. I do find taking more salt difficult as spent years cutting it out with blood pressure issues. My cholesterol levels are good too which is a relief.
Maybe it would be beneficial if we could all have really detailed blood tests on a regular - maybe annually - basis.

growstuff Tue 07-Dec-21 17:23:36

I agree with you about having regular detailed blood tests. I have them because I'm diabetic and have had various extra blood tests in the past for various reasons. I'm afraid I'm very cynical about supplements taken without prior tests. I sometimes think people see an article suggesting that such and such vitamin or mineral will ward off various conditions. In most cases, there's no robust evidence and I think some people take pills even though they don't have deficiencies.

JillyJosie2 Tue 07-Dec-21 17:55:19

I have regular blood tests because I have a rare immune condition and I know I'm lucky to get them, they are a useful guide. My experience of GPs is that it's usually very difficult to get blood tests done, a GP once said airily to me 'do another blood test next day and you'll get a different result'!

It's true that there is a lot of conflicting advice out there which is why I said that the best guide is whether or not a vitamin/multivitamin seems to go some way to sorting out the problem that you feel you have.

Similarly I have discovered that a low carb diet suits me, it stops my blood sugar levels swinging and keeps weight off my middle. Low carb, not extremely low, and avoiding dairy both obviously suit my constitution. It's not very difficult to adjust diet, I do think it's important to listen to your own body. Unfortunately, many medications cause long term side effects if you take them regularly. Someone mentioned ibuprofen, a GP told me long ago that they can seriously affect the kidneys.

I've never heard of Dr Ali but I just looked him up and his book sounds interesting: here's the description:

by Dr Mosaraf Ali (Author)
4.2 out of 5 stars 43 ratings
See all formats and editions
Hardcover
£3.41
28 Used from £0.99
3 New from £96.00
Each one of us is unique, so it makes sense that no single diet will work for everyone. In Dr Ali's Nutrition Bible, physician to the stars and bestselling author Dr Ali offers a pioneering new approach to eating, based on working with the features that make you who you are. You can dramatically improve the way you feel by using the easy-to-follow programmes devised to let you choose the best foods for you. --Learn all of the nutritional basics such as creating a balanced diet and obtaining essential vitamins and minerals--Adjust your diet according to your age, gender, temperament, lifestyle and your state of health--Plan your meals around the seasons --Give your body a well deserved rest by detoxing--Discover dietary solutions to a range of health problems, including diabetes, colds and flu, irritable bowel syndrome, arthritis, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, anxiety and eczema

PerserverencePays Tue 07-Dec-21 18:19:38

I started taking turmeric for its blood thinning and anti inflammatory properties. I’ve long been troubled by deep pains in my legs which after research, aka googling, I put down to DVT. My gp will not consider a blood clot forming until it is causing an actual blockage, red, hot, swollen, etc. I used to self medicate with mini aspirin for a couple of weeks until it cleared up. This would happen every couple of months. Since taking the turmeric, I haven’t had a recurrence of the leg pain. It’s been about three months now. Prevention and all that.

MerylStreep Tue 07-Dec-21 18:28:56

JillyJosie
Dr Ali is not recognised as a Dr by the BMA. Not everyone is a fan.

www.theguardian.com/society/2008/sep/07/health

growstuff Tue 07-Dec-21 18:30:54

PerserverencePays

I started taking turmeric for its blood thinning and anti inflammatory properties. I’ve long been troubled by deep pains in my legs which after research, aka googling, I put down to DVT. My gp will not consider a blood clot forming until it is causing an actual blockage, red, hot, swollen, etc. I used to self medicate with mini aspirin for a couple of weeks until it cleared up. This would happen every couple of months. Since taking the turmeric, I haven’t had a recurrence of the leg pain. It’s been about three months now. Prevention and all that.

If you really have DVT, a two week course of aspirin wouldn't clear it up.

growstuff Tue 07-Dec-21 18:32:06

MerylStreep

JillyJosie
Dr Ali is not recognised as a Dr by the BMA. Not everyone is a fan.

www.theguardian.com/society/2008/sep/07/health

Thank you for posting that. I get quite annoyed by "celeb" doctors, so I'm glad he's been outed.

Hetty58 Tue 07-Dec-21 18:33:24

I'm a firm believer in a very good diet and plenty of exercise so only take Vit D.

MayBee70 Tue 07-Dec-21 18:42:34

He used to be on This Morning when Richard and Judy were doing it but was discredited: I can’t remember the details. But his book has helped me with various medical problems, some of which were being treated by my doctor with no success, mainly because doctors find it easier to prescribe a pill rather than do things like elimination diets.

MerylStreep Tue 07-Dec-21 18:49:51

Some of us didn’t need a celebrity dr on Richard & Judy to educate us In elimination diets.
The mans a snake oil salesman.

MayBee70 Tue 07-Dec-21 18:51:42

Well, that’s me told then. I’ll still refer to his book, though.

PerserverencePays Wed 08-Dec-21 00:07:47

growstuff

PerserverencePays

If you really have DVT, a two week course of aspirin wouldn't clear it up.

The things is a DVT must start off small before it grows to be a menace. Aspirin thins the blood so would dissolve any lurking residue hanging about waiting to become significant. That’s my theory anyway, as it’s a very specific deep pain that comes on after a bout of prolonged bed rest. It gets worse if I ignore it and always is resolved with aspirin. I’m not a medic but I pay attention .

MayBee70 Wed 08-Dec-21 00:15:31

I mentioned to one of my doctors years ago that there was bowel cancer in my ( then) husbands family and he said to tell him to start taking an aspirin each day. I’ve only just remembered the conversation. The leg pain that I’ve suffered from for several months now seems to have resolved itself after I’ve made a point of taking turmeric again. Having said that, maybe it would have improved anyway and I’ve also not been walking as much.

growstuff Wed 08-Dec-21 02:14:23

If it improves because you haven't been walking so much it could be Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD). You really should see a GP, who needs to refer you for tests. A DVT needs urgent treatment, not just a couple of weeks with aspirin. You would probably be advised to wear a compression stocking. I have some recent experience of this.

dcaguide Tue 08-Mar-22 15:47:55

The information contained in dcaguide.org can help you prevent serious DCA side effects. When using DCA, do not lower the dosage too much. If you are concerned about whether or not DCA will cause any side effects for you, check with your doctor first before starting off on it.

DCA seems to be very effective in controlling cancer and neurodegenerative diseases such as ALS and Huntington’s disease. The drug should be a part of the bodybuilding, sports nutrition and anti-aging supplementation programs along with a proper diet and regular exercise. It has positive influences on the different organs in the body, so it can be used as an enhancer when we talk about physical performance improvement.

Dichloroacetate belongs to the class of anti-cancer drugs (Sodium dichloroacetate). Dichloroacetate needs to be taken with food because it is not stable in water. The sodium dichloroacetate administration can result in side effects, with the most common being peripheral neuropathy, sleepiness and confusion. Sleepiness and confusion should be avoided, if possible, by lowering the sodium dichloroacetate dose or stopping DCA usage completely for at least several months.

www.dcaguide.org/dca-information/dca-safety-and-side-effects

M0nica Tue 08-Mar-22 16:11:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Grannmarie Tue 08-Mar-22 16:11:59

I have just stopped taking OMEPRAZOLE after many years. I was prescribed it for hiatus hernia. I discussed my concerns with the practice nurse recently, she said to come off it and see how I got on, or to try alternate days.
I'm been off it for over a week, coping well, occasional Rennie. I'm terrified of Dementia after seeing the heartbreaking effect on my DMum.
I take vitamin D, and Omega 3 for my arthritic fingers. I eat some fruit and lots of veg every day. I've recently started a low carb eating plan, so fingers crossed for some weight loss.?

Fernbergien Tue 08-Mar-22 16:24:24

I had been taking Lanzaprozole and similar for many years then was “ warned off” by doctor and told to try without.. Did that. Only needed Rennies twice over two years or so.
Take multi vitamin and vitamin D.
Not a big meat eater.