Gransnet forums

Health

Hate my teeth

(58 Posts)
Ellie Anne Wed 30-Mar-22 20:08:09

I have horrible teeth! My granddaughter asked me why my teeth are brown. My front teeth are a mixture of fillings of different colours and a bridge. Because of that ordinary whitening treatment wouldn’t work. I’ve considered implants but I’ve had one nearer the back and had to have bone made as I didn’t have enough. So it was even more expensive so I couldn’t afford to have 6 done. My dentist thought she might be able to crown them but now is retiring.
I try not to smile. I’ve never smoked and have looked after them as best I can.

annodomini Tue 17-May-22 13:34:38

Am I the only gran that would agree to a denture? Take my word for it, mine is a great success and looks just like my natural teeth, but better.

Dollygloss Tue 17-May-22 13:51:45

I am another really pleased with composite bonding which I had done a few years ago after erosion of the enamel on my front teeth, the result of being an out of control fruit eater.
Its a straight forward treatment and not as demanding or expensive as crowns or implants.
Good luck Ellie Anne!

Shinamae Tue 17-May-22 17:01:41

annodomini

Am I the only gran that would agree to a denture? Take my word for it, mine is a great success and looks just like my natural teeth, but better.

I have a bridge but I think it’s coming near to the end of its life as I’ve had it over 10 years and I can’t possibly afford implants so for me it will be a top denture, I do believe they are so much better than they were years ago they better had be because my Dentist has said it will be over £1000 just for the top one ?

Shinamae Tue 17-May-22 17:06:11

Just found this…

annodomini Tue 17-May-22 17:17:13

Shinamae, a pity I can't grin at you. Dentures nowadays are much lighter than the ones our parents and grandparents used to wear. So be reassured. For a while it does feel a bit 'foreign' but mine have become part of me now. The dentist matched them very accurately to the colour of my natural teeth - white but not artificially white.

Shinamae Tue 17-May-22 17:52:23

annodomini

*Shinamae*, a pity I can't grin at you. Dentures nowadays are much lighter than the ones our parents and grandparents used to wear. So be reassured. For a while it does feel a bit 'foreign' but mine have become part of me now. The dentist matched them very accurately to the colour of my natural teeth - white but not artificially white.

Yes when I have it I would like them quite white but not the brilliant Katie Price white. I noticed in a picture of Tom Cruise recently that his teeth are not brilliant white they’re just a nice sort of normal shade of white that’s what I will have when the time comes. But I will have to have it done I think sooner rather than later because at the moment I am still working and once I stop working I will not be able to afford it as I will only have my state pension to live on .

Ellie Anne Tue 17-May-22 17:57:33

Well the dentist has recommended crowns so I’m going with that. Will be expensive but am so miserable I don’t care.

Happysexagenarian Sun 22-May-22 15:45:52

I have a partial upper denture, best thing I ever did, I can happily smile again. It looks totally natural, is supremely comfortable and I can eat everything that I did before. I have just 4 natural top teeth now and the denture clips to them very securely. One of those teeth is a composite bond. The front of the tooth had sheared off so my dentist rebuilt it. It looks just like a natural tooth and is really strong. But remember that composite bonding is only as strong as the tooth it's attached to.

Now I just need to get my bottom teeth sorted, one is crowned and it's very wobbly. But my dentist is delaying doing the bottom ones until it's absolutely necessary, she says having a wobbly natural tooth is better than no tooth or a bridge. I trust her. Implants are not an option and even if they were I wouldn't want them. When I smile I don't show my bottom teeth.

Good luck with your dental treatment Ellie Anne

MayBee70 Sun 22-May-22 15:56:37

I’m constantly losing fillings from my teeth. Always the same teeth. But when I enquire about having them crowned my NHS dentist just says it isn’t necessary. I must have to have two fillings a year replaced. All I did the other day was eat a rice cake. I didn’t even bite into it; I was just carefully chewing a small piece that I had broken off. Annoyingly it’s never the most recent filling which would have been replaced for free.

Ellie Anne Sat 16-Jul-22 12:50:47

Well I’ve been . I have temporary crowns on 6 top teeth and will get permanent ones in a few weeks. But even the temporary ones are better than what I had.

HurdyGurdy Sat 16-Jul-22 13:03:39

There have been tv programmes and news articles recently relating to "Turkey teeth", and the problems that patients have experienced after travelling to Turkey to have cosmetic dental work done "cheaply".

Apparently some UK dentists are refusing to work on "Turkey teeth" as there are so many problems with them.

I don't know all the ins and outs, but apparently the work only lasts about 10 years and then has to be rectified/repeated.

I don't know if this is the case for other European countries or just Turkey, but it has definitely put me off even considering it.

I also hate my teeth. They've always been a dull yellowish colour, and no amount of brushing with whitening toothpastes has made an iota of difference. I've just learned to live with them, although I do avoid smiling showing teeth.

HurdyGurdy Sat 16-Jul-22 13:05:57

annodomini

400 years? Not quite! 40 years ago!

awwwww annodomini - I was hoping for a really interesting reincarnation story there grin

HurdyGurdy Sat 16-Jul-22 13:11:22

Ellie Anne

Well I’ve been . I have temporary crowns on 6 top teeth and will get permanent ones in a few weeks. But even the temporary ones are better than what I had.

I'm pleased you managed to get something sorted. I'm sure it will be well worth the stress when you are rocking the Cheshire Cat look smile

Purplepixie Sat 16-Jul-22 13:14:32

I’ve had horrible yellow teeth all my life. One dentist years ago said that at least they are strong. Well, where is he now because I have two broken and five missing! Just wished I could afford to have implants for the lot!

Kate1949 Sat 16-Jul-22 13:24:50

I've had full dentures top and bottom since the age of 11. It's been horrible but the choice wasn't mine.

Oldnproud Sat 16-Jul-22 13:36:11

Children say what they see. grin

All through childhood, my dentist would say what lovely teeth I had. Presumably, she meant that they were very healthy.
They have always been a creamy-yellow colour, though, not white, and this was once pointed out to me very matter-of-factly by a seven-year-old.

When I was in my fifties, a three or four year old asked me why I have such 'big' teeth (or it might have been 'long').
With hindsight, I should have replied, "All the better for eating you with!" grin I didn't - I just explained that that's just how they had grown.

I'm still waiting for one to ask me why I have fangs!

Due to a smallish mouth, but far too many teeth (I still have all four wisdom teeth, though one can't quite fully erupt, probably due to lack of space), my teeth are now very crooked too. I hate them, but the cost of treatment means that I am stuck either them as they are.

It's sometimes struck me that maybe if I hadn't looked after my teeth so well when I was younger, I would have fewer of them by now and that the remaining ones might at least have remained reasonably straight. There's no justice in this world!

mokryna Sat 16-Jul-22 15:34:07

Shinamae on a tv programme a person was advised to match the whiteness of the teeth with that of the white of their eyes.

Hetty58 Sat 16-Jul-22 15:56:56

Ellie Anne, hate your teeth? Join my club! Oh, the horror of those sturdy, horse-like 'grown up' teeth emerging. I looked like Joanna Lumley, big teeth, big gaps - but I'm sure she had hers fixed.

I was told I'd 'grow into them' - nope - they lied - and now I'm lectured in the art of preserving them (by some dentist who looks just like a kid) at every yearly check up.

Ideally, I'd like them all out - and a nice set of pearly white, even, dainty implants instead. I believe four implants can support an entire upper or lower set!

yggdrasil Sat 16-Jul-22 17:39:41

I'm just pleased I have enough teeth left to not need a plate

MerylStreep Sat 16-Jul-22 17:51:40

HurdyGurdy
People don’t do their research with some of these Turkish clinics. My friend did. The treatment and service was superb.
Her 3 month check up was done in London.
I lived in Bulgaria for 5 years so I had some dental work done.
The treatment was amazing.

Ellie Anne Sat 16-Jul-22 19:27:42

I’m not having brilliant white! But the discoloured fillings and broken bits are gone. I wouldn’t have considered going abroad.

Patsy70 Sat 16-Jul-22 20:19:43

So pleased you’ve had treatment, Ellie Anne and are happy with it. Our teeth don’t need to be brilliant white, as long as they’re not discoloured. I used to have bad dreams about losing my teeth when I was young. I’ve always looked after them and had regular dental treatment, but this isn’t always enough. I use Eucryl toothpaste, as recommended on Gransnet, to keep them reasonably white.

Ellie Anne Sun 28-Aug-22 23:00:31

Have now got the finished teeth. Feel a bit strange as they are a bit thicker and look so different. Although I’m feeling self conscious I’m still glad it’s done.

Callistemon21 Sun 28-Aug-22 23:02:44

Well done!
I'm sure you'll be very happy once you get used to them.

Shinamae Sun 28-Aug-22 23:15:23

mokryna

Shinamae on a tv programme a person was advised to match the whiteness of the teeth with that of the white of their eyes.

But I don’t want bloodshot teeth!! ?