Gransnet forums

Health

Drinking sufficient water

(108 Posts)
giulia Thu 28-Apr-22 06:46:28

I'm trying to drink six (half litre) glasses during the course of the day but I often lose count, being a dotty old lady.

Have finally resolved this minor problem with dice! I keep one by my glass on the kitchen bench and just turn it over each time I finish a glass to the number I've consumed.

Just thought I'd pass on the tip...

Hetty58 Wed 04-May-22 00:38:20

Candelle, yes, monitor the output if in doubt. It's strange that the myths persist - and there's so many people forcing excess fluids down themselves - to stay 'healthy' and avoid dehydration - pointless and potentially harmful. Who wants all the extra trips to the loo?

MaizieD's first comment is quite correct, of course. I don't drink much water - just tea (lots) coffee, oat milk and juice. There's plenty of fluids in my vegetable-laden vegan diet too.

Candelle Tue 03-May-22 23:44:36

The colour of your urine will tell you if you are dehydrated or not:
pale yellow, good -
dark yellow/orange, bad.

By the time you feel thirsty apparently one is slightly dehydrated.

JMcD Mon 02-May-22 09:46:38

I nearly died of severe dehydration (caused by a pituitary deficiency). It wasn’t recognised by G.P until almost too late. After release from hospital I drank so much water that I ended up with low sodium.! There is a happy medium!

snowberryZ Sun 01-May-22 11:42:46

These are the ones
highfive.co.uk/collections/hydration-tablets?gclid=Cj0KCQjw37iTBhCWARIsACBt1Iyy134wg5Gk0TKi-vjh_71uLUoHa1_TXxHZE3Nn5MaBS6Zrs96F3uMaAvYIEALw_wcB

snowberryZ Sun 01-May-22 11:40:21

I suffer bouts of dry skin and every now and again I up my water intake.
But I buy electrolyte tablets and I'll break a quarter of one ,(maybe less) into a glass of water. I don't do it with every glass.
The one I like is called Zero and comes in different flavours.

effalump Sun 01-May-22 11:19:29

I'm loving the 'dice' method. I have a small timer that beeps every hour but there are several times a day when I ignore it, or I'm somewhere else so I might try the dice as I know I don't drink enough water and now that I'm older, it seems my kidneys are not as efficient as they used to be.

giulia Sun 01-May-22 08:24:38

HazelEyes

Going back to the original post about turning over the dice what if you forget to turn the dice?! ?

Ha Ha! Am very careful about that but, of course, absolutely nothing is totally infallible!

HazelEyes Sat 30-Apr-22 21:25:29

Going back to the original post about turning over the dice what if you forget to turn the dice?! ?

Callistemon21 Sat 30-Apr-22 12:29:18

mumofmadboys

However as children I am sure we were very dehydrated. I drank very little during my hours at school.

We had a water fountain but I never fancied drinking from that.
Milk at morning break and a glass of water (if we wanted it) at lunch-time.

Joseanne Sat 30-Apr-22 08:35:21

I am not convinced either about children needing to drink water from a bottle on the desk constantly throughout the lessons. The number of pieces of work that are wrecked with spillages and the disruption with trips to the toilet!

mumofmadboys Sat 30-Apr-22 08:15:40

However as children I am sure we were very dehydrated. I drank very little during my hours at school.

Mollygo Sat 30-Apr-22 08:15:18

Jzpap

Slightly off thread, but what is this obsession amongst younger people to carry brightly coloured water bottles around everywhere they go? Can’t people manage to go from A to B without having to drink? I don’t get it ?‍♀️

Jzpap
Carrying water bottles starts at school.
Way back around 2004, minister Stephen Twigg promoted water over the fizzy drinks or squash in lunch boxes, which could give a ‘sugar rush’ and contribute to obesity. Some parents immediately declared that they had the right to choose what to give their children and I remember one parent, who sent squash in the ‘water’ bottle, declaring that her son was allergic to water!

A news report at the time said,
”Many primary schools in Britain have begun giving pupils drinking water bottles, which are available on their desks during lessons.”
”This follows concerns that pupils were becoming dehydrated and this was affecting their ability to learn.”

Readily available water in class without sharing plastic cups was a good idea.
I never noticed it having an impact on children’s ability to learn after water bottles started, although it did initially increase the need for toilet visits. Now they go mostly ignored in lesson time, though they’re eagerly seized on at break.

25Avalon Sat 30-Apr-22 08:14:41

Maybe they were bottle fed as babies MaizieD so it’s a comfort thing grin

MaizieD Sat 30-Apr-22 07:48:46

Jzpap

Slightly off thread, but what is this obsession amongst younger people to carry brightly coloured water bottles around everywhere they go? Can’t people manage to go from A to B without having to drink? I don’t get it ?‍♀️

I'll repeat what I said earlier. According to Dr Google (who is sometimes right) the human body can go for at least 2 days without water.

Clearly that isn't a desirable thing to do, but it does illustrate that no-one really needs to be continually sucking on a bottle of water.

karmalady Sat 30-Apr-22 07:29:28

thirst diminishes as we age and skin is no longer a good indicator. Look at the wee in the toilet bowl. It should be pale and clear. The body takes a lot of water from food and fruit and veg. It is equally bad to overdose on water. I start the day well, after a night without water. A small drink of water first and then a 600 ml mug of tea

Jzpap Sat 30-Apr-22 07:20:30

BlueSky Fri 29-Apr-22 20:56:31

I remember being told a few years ago that tea and coffee ‘didn’t count’ towards your total liquid intake. Now we know it’s nonsense, obviously made up by bottled water manufacturers!

Tessyo Fri 29-Apr-22 20:12:17

Give this a listen - it’s knowledgeable & reassuring about healthy hydration ?

podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/inside-health/id263166507?i=1000551209937

Jodieb Fri 29-Apr-22 15:58:51

I read recently that our bodies take water from the fruit and veg that we eat.

Daisydaisydaisy Fri 29-Apr-22 14:29:33

Great idea Thank you smile

Baggs Fri 29-Apr-22 14:23:05

b1zzle

Apparently we should be drinking 1200ml a day (according to Google) so I assume that includes water from fruit, veg, etc/

Yes, it does. All the water content of the food we eat counts towards hydration as well as drinks like tea.

A lot of tosh is talked about it being 'too late' if you drink when you already feel thirsty. It's nonsense. Thirst is the body's way of telling you you need to drink, just as hunger is its way of telling you to eat.

Sloegin Fri 29-Apr-22 14:19:30

Also agree be careful not to overdo the fluid intake. I was a renal nurse working with patients on dialysis, most of them had no urinary output so we're restricted to one litre of fluid a day. They had to include in that one litre not just drinks but fluid in foods like soup or custard. All fluid counts towards hydrating you as, even if tea or coffee have a mild diuretic effect, you're still taking in more than you're putting out. Nephrologists would tell you there's a lot of nonsense talked about drinking vast amounts of water.

b1zzle Fri 29-Apr-22 14:04:12

Apparently we should be drinking 1200ml a day (according to Google) so I assume that includes water from fruit, veg, etc/

PamQS Fri 29-Apr-22 14:03:39

My GP kept asking me how much water I drank, and at one point after a blood test told me I had a very scary sounding condition which meant my blood was ‘too thick’. I’ve found keeping a mug of water nearby in the evening seems to top up my water enough. I can’t see why tea wouldn’t hydrate me, so I drink plenty of that, as well!

Alioop Fri 29-Apr-22 13:50:41

I had kidney stones lasered 3 weeks ago and was told to make sure I drink lots of water, which I thought I was doing, to keep hydrated. I'm now drinking that much I detest the stuff, but if it hopefully saves me from more stones forming I'll keep at it.