Gransnet forums

Health

Codeine constipation

(88 Posts)
travelsafar Sun 01-May-22 18:27:51

Anyone got tips on how to prevent this happening. Seems a trival thing to bother gp about and too embarrassed to speak to pharmacist blush

dogsmother Sat 04-Jun-22 19:18:18

Ugh can’t believe I’m sharing this…
I’ve an under active thyroid which impacts on systems including bowels, have had haemorrhoid surgery, anal abscess and constipation had been a constant. Now I’ve discovered INULIN. Please look it up, I just add it to my breakfast ( oats blueberries and Greek yogurt) every morning.
It’s sorted me out.

silverlining48 Sat 04-Jun-22 18:51:42

Not a laughing matter but that made me smile Janie. smile
Rachb I hope things start moving very soon, and woukd second the suppositories which are ( very) quick acting.

Notagranny44 Sat 04-Jun-22 18:50:05

Dried apricots work like a dream for me. Maybe ten to clear a "backlog" and then about seven a day to keep regular.

Janiepops Sat 04-Jun-22 16:06:49

RachB, get some glycerin suppositories! You push them up ( I used 3!!) and they melt the “brick”and away it comes. Put them in and sit down quickly!!I mean on a hard chair, Cos they make you want to ‘go’ immediately, but don’t because keeping them in softens/melts the brick ! Be careful they are really slippery, mine pinged off across the bathroom and was covered in purple carpet fluff!! Just rinse and start again!

rachb2020 Sat 04-Jun-22 15:36:43

Just as a quick update: I had to stop taking the codeine a week ago because of the severe constipation and 'things' still haven't returned to normal! sad

I've just been on the toilet for over 90 minutes and couldn't go at all... my poor bottom! sad

Nanna58 Wed 25-May-22 21:18:53

I had the dreaded codeine constipation after foot op despite being given movicol , had to resort to Exlax !

rachb2020 Wed 25-May-22 21:14:59

I think I am going to have to stop the codeine - I simply cannot go to the toilet!

Don't laugh but I've honestly just been sat there for an hour and nothing happens... had to take three magazines with me as a distraction and that didn't help either! blush

GagaJo Tue 24-May-22 23:34:08

I hope so too, rachb2020. My DGS had been having some problems in that department, bless him. He's little so one kiwi sorted him out, no problem.

I've run out today, so will have to get to the shop asap tomorrow, so I'll be uncomfortable.

JaneJudge Tue 24-May-22 22:27:05

a glass of water before you get out of bed, hot cup of tea or coffee and then get to the toilet pronto

Sapphire24 Tue 24-May-22 22:23:30

Extra strength sennokot xx

Happygirl79 Tue 24-May-22 22:17:59

I actually stopped eating when I was prescribed codiene. It made me feel really poorly. I stopped taking it and had three days of awful detoxing until I could be clear of the after effects of taking it. Never again

rachb2020 Tue 24-May-22 21:05:34

I've been attacking the kiwi fruits today! Hopefully I will finally get some 'movement' that doesn't end up with my face turning purple whilst on the toilet! blush

GagaJo Mon 23-May-22 23:39:10

Start off with 4. They don't give me a tummy ache or any other side effects you might get with laxatives. Just... an ordinary poo.

rachb2020 Mon 23-May-22 23:30:19

I will give kiwis a try.

It is a real struggle. If I'm not able to go in the morning when I need to it ruins my whole day

GagaJo Mon 23-May-22 23:03:47

I'm on 3 kiwis a day. Sometimes I eat them, today in a smoothie.

Scientifically known to be a great regulator/laxative.

tinyurl.com/kne2erk3

Greyduster Mon 23-May-22 17:51:45

I am currently on paracetamol and codeine for hip pain and my GP has put Laxido on prescription to deal with any constipation. DH also had it prescribed by the hospital when he was going through his chemotherapy. Fibogel is nicer.

rachb2020 Mon 23-May-22 17:40:56

I am having a nightmare with this at the moment - I knew codeine could cause constipation, but not this bad!

It doesn't hurt as such when I try to go (fortunately!), but it takes AGES and the straining can't be good for my poor bottom!

Dickens Fri 20-May-22 09:03:38

Casdon

Strong coffee is a great laxative, it stimulates your colon.

... it does!

And if you add a couple of teaspoons of honey (that's if you can tolerate sweet coffee) it helps a lot. Honey is a mild laxative.

My gastro consultant said everyone should spend 10 minutes on the loo in the morning after a coffee - when the bowel is most active. He said just sit, read and relax... and don't strain or fret!

Selma80Harris Fri 20-May-22 08:19:29

As someone who suffers from constipation somewhat, I can assure you that using colace glycerin will benefit you. Constipation has been bothering me for years, and I've tried a variety of vitamins and medications. I don't do it every day, maybe twice a week, but it works. Doctors also advised me to walk or exercise regularly. In my opinion, everyone should drink more water and eat more vegetables and fruits throughout the day. In my case, stool softeners were effective. Because they work nicely, my doctor prescribed them anytime I'm constipated.

silverlining48 Wed 04-May-22 13:58:30

I have just googled the nhs site on constipation and found it very helpful. Hadn’t realised there are different types of medication depending on the particular symptoms.

A friend recommended something she takes but it wouldn’t be right for my particular problem so it’s worth a look.

MayBee70 Wed 04-May-22 13:21:33

It’s really important that the OP speaks to her GP as some things could make things much worse.

Candelle Tue 03-May-22 23:14:53

Many people have mentioned Fybogel (or Fy Bogel, as we call it) which can help. It bulks the stool up.

Lactulose can soften the stool.

Eating nuts also really works and seems to combine the above two attributes. Quite a few nuts, actually!

Putting prunes in a warming drawer or low oven to slightly dry them out (for several hours) results in delicious snack which tastes like black wine gums but is full of fibre.

Liquorice also works for some.

Good luck!

NB
Several of the above are quite high in carbohydrates, so check if this applies to you.

Libman Tue 03-May-22 23:07:58

Sultana bran with fruit. Drink lots of water. Go easy on the eggs. Plums work wonders for me.

silverlining48 Tue 03-May-22 22:51:18

Travels I stopped taking codeine etc over 2 weeks ago after my operation so woukd have thought I shoukd be ok, but yesterday was a day I would hate to have to go through again, I will try to get some medical advice as well.

travelsafar Tue 03-May-22 21:19:44

Thanks for all your answers everyone. I do eat plenty of fruit and veg plus bran flakes with fruit of some kind. Unfortunately two of the meds I take both cause constipation . I resorted to using senakot tabs for a couple of days which eventually worked. Am defo going to ring gp for consultation as can't go on like this.