Gransnet forums

Health

Hair dye and covid vaccination

(34 Posts)
Shelflife Sat 07-May-22 20:52:00

Wondering if others have had the same experience as me.. About a month ago I had my hair coloured at my usual hairdressers , had my hair coloured there on numerous occasions. However this time I have had problems , all was well for a few days but then my scalp began to itch and feel uncomfortably hot! I can feel rough patches on my scalp and have dandruff for the first time in my life ! I returned to my salon and explained my situation. My hairdresser said " there has been problems with people who have had the Covid vaccination, the vaccine alters the immune system and that is why we do additional skin tests for every vaccinated person before colouring hair" I explained that I had not been offered a skin test! Have any GN s had this reaction after the Covid vaccine or indeed have heard about this ? For now my scalp is feeling a little better - take an anti histamine occasionally! However the dandruff is still there - I am mortified and don't think I will ever risk colouring my hair again .

JaneJudge Sun 08-May-22 11:29:48

I know this is an aside but somewhat related..my hair has been falling out since I've had covid and I mentioned it to my hairdresser and she said no end of people who have had covid have had problems with their hair falling out sad

FannyCornforth Sun 08-May-22 11:59:54

I bet that it’s vitamin D related Jane. Definitely. I’ll bore you with my hair story later smile

M0nica Sun 08-May-22 12:17:31

I colour my own hair and have had no averse reactions.

It is easy to say just grow grey, but my hair is going white round the edges whil the whole of the crown says its original dark brown. It is not an attractive look. It is not even a passing phase, other members of my family have been stuck at that stage well into their 80s, they died before the phase ended.

So I will continue to colour my hair, one way or the other.

BlueSky Sun 08-May-22 12:34:54

Same here M0nica that’s why I’m hesitant to go grey. I envy those fair ladies that go from blonde to white without any fuss!

aonk Sun 08-May-22 16:23:32

I had a very bad reaction to my usual hair colour about 3 years ago. My hairdresser changed it to a similar colour but with an anti allergy formulation. All was well afterwards. Going grey isn’t for me.

VenusDeVillendorf Sat 11-Jun-22 22:16:53

I wonder if their stock hasn’t expired and they’re using the vaccine as an excuse?

I let my silver moon highlights come through and an delighted. I have a large white lock in the front and everyone tells be it looks very sophisticated.

I love that everyone’s silvers come out uniquely. My hair is dark brown at the back and now it’s so healthy it’s grown down past my bra strap.

It did get thinner after I caught covid, in 2020, but thickened up again.
I noticed no thinning after the vaccine shots.

I wonder if you’ve become used to not having the chemicals on your scalp and now get dermatitis from contact?

It might be time to get highlights/ lowlights /balayage instead of a full head of chemicals on your scalp.

You might be surprised as I was that the pattern of silver in your hair is so unique and interesting and the texture so good.

My hair is strong long and really shiny now - I get a lot of compliments on it - far more than when I coloured it ?

BlueBelle Sat 11-Jun-22 22:28:33

You ll hate me Bluesky I ve went from very fair to blonde/white over night I like the colour it is and hairdressers say it’s good
Embrace it, we are what we are be proud of yourself and our changes

AussieNanna Sun 12-Jun-22 07:44:02

GrannyGravy13

DD had a patch test, 48 hours after having her hair coloured last week she was in hospital with a severe reaction, red weals all over her scalp, forehead and neck along with her face and neck swelling so much she couldn’t see out of one eye or hear out of one of her ears. She was discharged but readmitted 2 hours later with mouth and throat swelling.

Fortunately she is recovering slowly but surely, the doctors said they have seen this more than they usually did before Covid.

Doctors seeing this more now than pre Covid doesn't mean the vaccine caused it.

Could be any number of correlation reasons - people starting to colour their hair after not doing so in lockdown for example.