Gransnet forums

Health

Anyone got any advice please re black poo (sorry!)

(28 Posts)
Luckylegs Mon 09-May-22 12:26:16

My husband overnight noticed he had black poo last Tuesday. This was the same every day so he insisted on being seen (they were trying to make him go through the 8am rigmarole). He was seen on Friday and it was decided to send him to hospital under the 2 week cancer policy. He’s had an endoscopy, everyone assuming it was a bleeding stomach ulcer but nothing was found, no blood there. So it was the weekend, nothing happened. Hb on the low side but no pain or aching, looks fit and well but still the dreaded black poo! Colonoscopy due today.

You can imagine the weekend we’ve both had. Anyway, doctor saw him this morning, they are discharging him this afternoon and he has to have (or give himself?) Vitamin B injections and go back in a week? So no colonoscopy.

I know Gransnet isnt a doctors but I wondered if anyone knows if that means we can breathe now and that low vitamin B really does leading to such bleeding?

Luckylegs Wed 18-May-22 10:29:40

Mystery solved hopefully. Seen GP and hospital doctor. He’d evidently had a micro bleed which accumulated into black as it went through his system. This was because he was taking Piroxicam for 20 odd years but not given any stomach protection. He was very anaemic (had iron drips now), a series of six vit B12 injections now followed by one every three months. He may have to take iron tablets but we have to see about that.

This should relieve his irritability, inexplicable exhaustion, possibly even his sciatica possibly. I think he feels relieved, back to drinking tea and coffee but not as many. It’s so surprising how much the shock of him being admitted to hospital not only hit my H but me! I’m exhausted with the worrying and traipsing about. Thank you ladies for trying to help and your advice. Best site ever.

Aveline Wed 18-May-22 10:38:52

Glad to hear you've had a positive answer and treatment. Good news!