Gransnet forums

Health

NHS 2 WEEK REFERRAL re changes in bowel habits

(13 Posts)
Bea65 Sun 15-May-22 13:35:20

For past few months have had changes and finally got to speak to GP (MANY TIMES GAVE UP HANGING ON PHONE) who said he would refer me on the 2 week referral...as its now 4 weeks and have no appt. tried ringing the hosp appt no. and was informed there is no 2 week referral!! She told me I had to wait at least 4 weeks before chasing this appt. I tried ringing my GP surgery 3 times last week including yesterday as know they are open until just after lunchtime. No response just held in queue...what are we supposed to do when all we hear on TV from GPs, "speak to your Dr. if you have any symptoms" am screaming at the TV often...Happy Sunday !

Visgir1 Sun 15-May-22 13:52:35

See if you can email them?
Most Surgeries have this now.
My GP won't even communicate /speak to you without a E-ref, if you phone and are lucky to get through the person taking the call does it for you.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 15-May-22 14:00:46

I would change my GP pdq! Sorry, but I can’t understand why some surgeries are so appalling. My surgery has had the engaged consult thing for ages. If you send a message through before noon you will have either a call back or a message the same day. You can also phone. I had to make an appointment for a Long Term Conditions check and only waited on the phone for 5 minutes. Appointment made for the following week. My Health Centre has a patient forum so maybe that has something to do with it.

silverlining48 Sun 15-May-22 14:37:46

Lucky those who have reasonable access to the gp but ours is a nightmare to get a response from.
If you have a 2 week appointment you will need to ring
Ring your surgery or check with hospital they have actually received the referral ( I am speaking from experience here).
It is really hard at some surgeries yet others are much more accessible.

Sparklefizz Sun 15-May-22 15:10:42

Ladyleftfieldlover It's not that straightforward to change surgeries when in the midst of treatment, especially the way things are at the moment.

Bea65 Sun 15-May-22 17:06:39

silverlining48 ..yes hospital has seen my referral and it was the hosp who said there are no 2 week referrals at moment but to call back in another 2 weeks...but can spend hours on phone trying to make my GP aware. - know the NHS system is under a great deal of pressure, but people are falling thru the cracks...and there is no email facility at surgery..

silverlining48 Sun 15-May-22 17:36:57

At least you are in the hospital system so it shouldn’t be too long. If it helps I have had regular colonoscopies over the last 10 years due to changes in Bowels and nothing found so far, so try mot to worry,

MrsPickle Sun 15-May-22 17:46:20

We are in Wales, so this might not be the same where you are.
Hub received a standard bowel test kit through the post Within weeks he has having a scan.
We can request these bowel test kits.
See if you can too. Hub has had excellent treatment when he didn't even know he was ill. Bless.

DillytheGardener Sun 15-May-22 17:54:20

Contact pals, and make a complaint, I’ve used them on behalf of my mother in law whom has had rather patchy and indifferent care from our local gp/hospital

www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/hospitals/what-is-pals-patient-advice-and-liaison-service/

MayBee70 Sun 15-May-22 18:03:25

Contact the surgery again. I used to work for a doctor who used to tell patients he would refer them and then not get round to doing it. Ask to speak to someone in the office.

Farzanah Sun 15-May-22 18:22:44

You need to complain about being told there are no two week referrals. Email chief exec of your NHS Trust and say they are not fulfilling the NHS commitment to prioritise suspected cancer patients within the accepted time limit. Also send a complaint to PALS.

Bea65 Wed 18-May-22 11:24:28

Thank you all for your lovely support - have a GP call tomorrow to see what the response is over a 2 week urgent referral ..will update!

MayBee70 Wed 18-May-22 11:33:29

Maybe say ‘ can you explain why I haven’t been given a two week referral given that post menopausal bleeds are red flag conditions’.