Gransnet forums

Health

Omeprazole vs Lansoprozole

(46 Posts)
Nikita80 Tue 17-May-22 11:41:43

Hi Everyone!
So I have asked a clinician but still seem rather confused, I suffer bad acid reflux and get burning sensations in my chest. My diet is poor and I know that. But since I have stopped smoking seems to be worse. Which one do you recommend I purchase, price is the same so that doesn't matter. I am just thinking about which one will have better results.

Funnygran Fri 27-May-22 18:02:23

I’ve been on both of them but can’t remember why the GP changed from one to the other. But I was told I was using them to prevent acid reflux rather than relieve symptoms when I actually had it. So the instructions were to take the tablet no more than an hour before my first meal of the day. I eventually cut out foods which I thought caused it for me and stopped taking the tablets. If I have a flare up I use Rennies.

Katek Fri 27-May-22 17:44:37

You should have your QT interval checked if you’re going to start on PPIs. They can contribute to QT prolongation and increase risk of cardiac arrhythmia. Worth checking with your GP - just because a med is available OTC it doesn’t necessarily make it safe/appropriate for you.

NotSpaghetti Fri 27-May-22 17:38:34

My husband tried both of these but was no better.
We have a pretty good vegetarian diet - almost always whole grains too and we have made our own kefir for decades.
He has tried two desert spoons of cider vinegar in a glass of water (which just sounds wrong to me) but he's been doing this for 2 months and is completely fine - no symptoms at all.
He drinks it through a straw so it's not in his mouth damaging his tooth enamel.

vegansrock Fri 27-May-22 17:27:46

This is from a list of medications implicated in causing or exacerbating IBDs - in this case, microscopic colitis - there are more in the list but it specifically names PPIs
“Medications that may be linked to the condition include:
Pain relievers, such as aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) and naproxen sodium (Aleve)
Proton pump inhibitors including lansoprazole (Prevacid), esomeprazole (Nexium), pantoprazole (Protonix), rabeprazole (Aciphex), omeprazole (Prilosec) “

rbstr22012 Fri 27-May-22 16:49:49

www.sabrered360.com/easy-ways-to-fall-asleep-which-you-should-know/

rbstr22012 Fri 27-May-22 16:48:32

If you’re struggling to get to [http://www.sabrered360.com/easy-ways-to-fall-asleep-which-you-should-know/](sleep), there are a few easy ways you can try. This article will discuss the most common easy ways for you to fall asleep. The key is to find what works for you and keep trying new techniques until you find one that succeeds.

rbstr22012 Fri 27-May-22 16:47:56

If you’re struggling to get to [url=http://www.sabrered360.com/easy-ways-to-fall-asleep-which-you-should-know/]sleep[/url], there are a few easy ways you can try. This article will discuss the most common easy ways for you to fall asleep. The key is to find what works for you and keep trying new techniques until you find one that succeeds.

rbstr22012 Fri 27-May-22 16:46:25

midgey

Omeprazole made me feel awful, lansoprazole seems okay. But I think they are both on prescription only in the UK.

If you’re struggling to get to <a href="http://www.sabrered360.com/easy-ways-to-fall-asleep-which-you-should-know/">sleep</a>, there are a few easy ways you can try. This article will discuss the most common easy ways for you to fall asleep. The key is to find what works for you and keep trying new techniques until you find one that succeeds.

Party4 Thu 19-May-22 20:15:04

DH has a hiatus hernia diagnosed by an endoscopy many years ago.
His symptoms of reflux have generally been controlled with Lansaprozol but he started having a probotic drink daily and insists they help.
Interesting to read maybe linked to IBS and colitis as he also suffers bowel problems and refuses to see GP or complete bowel screening test.
I have tried every way to convince him it would be in his best interest to no avail.

Jaxjacky Thu 19-May-22 18:39:11

Elles I take one Famotidine per day, like Whiff I have a sodium issue with Omeprazole, my reflux is caused by a hiatus hernia.

Nikita80 Thu 19-May-22 17:54:33

I am not self medicating, im using an online doctor video which is the same to having a 10min Appointment with the GP. I think as were all aware it takes weeks to get an appointment at your local GP and only advice the same. I cannot drive much so its actually more convenient and reliable. But that's my opinion, I much appreciate everyone has different. Thank you again for all the feedback I have got Omeprazole now. Yes my diet is bad, but I wouldn't say its the sole reason for my acid reflux. As I can have good days as well as bad.

kgnw28225 Thu 19-May-22 11:52:56

I have a hiatus hernia, was on Omeprazole for five years, but after reading an article about it thinning bones, I asked my GP could I come off it and take gaviscon instead. After about three months I ended up in A&E hospital, with a bleed on my digestive tract, due to stomach acid! Apparently it’s strong enough to dissolve metal. So I am on it for life now, that is if I don’t want a repeat of the bleeding or an ulcer?

Casdon Thu 19-May-22 11:47:18

OakDryad

I agree CassieJ. IBS is not IBD.

The causes of inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn's Disease and ulcerative colitis, are not known. As you know IBD is an auto-immune condition where the body's immune system attacks healthy tissue and needs to be controlled by immuno suppressants, oral or injected.

There have been studies looking at the PPI use and IBD and links have been made because PPIs do have an impact on gut microbiome and immune function but it's unlikely they cause IBD. One study which did make a link concluded:

^The findings should be interpreted with caution because the absolute risk was low and the clinical benefits of PPIs are substantial.^

PPIs can cause inflammation of the stomach though, which can be very painful. I came off Omeprazole for that reason, and I feel much better for managing with Gaviscon only.

OakDryad Thu 19-May-22 11:41:21

I agree CassieJ. IBS is not IBD.

The causes of inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn's Disease and ulcerative colitis, are not known. As you know IBD is an auto-immune condition where the body's immune system attacks healthy tissue and needs to be controlled by immuno suppressants, oral or injected.

There have been studies looking at the PPI use and IBD and links have been made because PPIs do have an impact on gut microbiome and immune function but it's unlikely they cause IBD. One study which did make a link concluded:

The findings should be interpreted with caution because the absolute risk was low and the clinical benefits of PPIs are substantial.

CassieJ Thu 19-May-22 10:41:48

vegansrock

They are both associated with inflammatory bowel diseases such as IBS and colitis.

IBS isn't inflammatory bowel disease. I presume you mean IBD? Inflammatory bowel disease is crohns or ulcerative colitis, very different to IBS.

I would like to know how they are associated with IBD? My son has crohns, diagnosed when he was 8 and had never taken any ppi's at this point.

Elless Thu 19-May-22 09:19:15

There was a thread last week about Famotidine, I've been on Omeprazole for years but have asked my doctor if I can try Famotidine, it's two tablets a day instead of one but I'll give it a go.

lemsip Thu 19-May-22 07:25:22

I take one 30mg of Lansoprazole so was worried to see the below copied and pasted.

Bone fractures warning: People who take several doses of this drug per day for one year or longer may have an increased risk of bone fractures. These breaks may be more likely to happen in your hip, wrist, or spine.

Catterygirl Thu 19-May-22 00:02:48

Was put on omeprazole when I lived in Spain and broke my ankle as the painkillers were so strong. I skipped the painkillers but liked the effects of omeprazole. No more need for Rennies at night. Could even eat sardines. I know people who swallow 3 tablets a day. Thankfully, one is enough for me. Surgery pushed me to volunteer to do dementia research as their least likely patient to develop dementia. How did they come to that conclusion? Took part for a while but the questions were too intrusive.

Whiff Wed 18-May-22 20:41:06

Nikita I was on Lansoprazole but had to come off it reduced my sodium and folic acid levels to much. Had to have a 3 month course of folic acid tablets. I just use Gaviscon as my GP advised.

Blondiescot Wed 18-May-22 20:04:41

It's not always down to your diet though. There can be many causes, and uncontrolled heartburn or acid reflux can lead to more serious problems further down the line, so like anything, you have to weigh up the risks and decide for yourself.

Mine Wed 18-May-22 19:40:18

I take omperazole every morning as I have a hiatus hernia....Went on holiday and forgot then and had to buy Nexium which are Esomeprazole as I thought it was the same medication but apparently is slightly different...It gave me vertigo..Anyone experience this with Nexium

Marydoll Wed 18-May-22 17:08:14

Sue, so nice to see you posting, albeit not in the best of reasons.

GrandmasueUK Wed 18-May-22 15:30:22

After suffering from acid reflux for quite a while I was sent for a endoscopy, as there was a history of oesophageal cancer in the family. I have Barrett’s oesophagus, which can sometimes lead to cancer, and needed to have an endoscopy, every two years, with biopsy’s taken at the time to keep an eye on changing cells. This time I was offered a cytosponge test, which is less invasive and a lot cheaper. It involved swallowing a capsule on a string, which then opens out into a polymer sponge and it is then pulled out and the tiny hooks scrape cells on the way out. This test is also being used to test for Barrett’s oesophagus, which can be exacerbated by acid reflux. The whole thing took about 15 minutes, by a nurse endoscopist, as opposed to about an hour, with 4 staff performing the endoscopy. I had a slightly sore throat for a few hours, but no other side effects. It was a really interesting experience.

refluxuk.com/symptoms-and-diagnosis/diagnostic-tests/cytosponge/

I think it’s wisest to seek medical advice if you are suffering from reflux, as symptoms can be masked by taking medication, but the cause might be something potentially serious, but treatable. I hope you get it sorted soon.

Esspee Wed 18-May-22 15:04:44

Jaxjacky

So can other commonly used drugs Esspee as always, it’s quantifying the personal risk v benefit.

Which is why everyone should be guided by their doctor, not self medicate which is the point I was making in my post about PPIs

Esspee Wed 18-May-22 14:59:49

Both the PPIs mentioned by the OP are available over the counter in the UK.
Are you in another country Nikita80?