Gransnet forums

Health

Omeprazole vs Lansoprozole

(45 Posts)
Nikita80 Tue 17-May-22 11:41:43

Hi Everyone!
So I have asked a clinician but still seem rather confused, I suffer bad acid reflux and get burning sensations in my chest. My diet is poor and I know that. But since I have stopped smoking seems to be worse. Which one do you recommend I purchase, price is the same so that doesn't matter. I am just thinking about which one will have better results.

midgey Tue 17-May-22 11:44:31

Omeprazole made me feel awful, lansoprazole seems okay. But I think they are both on prescription only in the UK.

Keeleklogger Tue 17-May-22 12:19:32

I have to take Omeprazole daily, I have to side effects at all. It works for me. It’s on prescription

Athrawes Tue 17-May-22 12:26:11

I take Lansoprazole on a daily basis but initially I had awful itching from it. Hopefully I'll come off it soon as I'm beginning to rattle as I take quite a few tablets at various times and am not sure what good Lansoprazole's actually doing. I'm not due for a consultation for a bit though.

annodomini Tue 17-May-22 13:39:06

Omeprazole has worked well for me. It saved me from the effects of stomach acid on my vocal chords, though if I try to sing up the scale, my voice cracks at 'soh' which is no handicap as I was never a great singer.

Esspee Tue 17-May-22 13:44:08

Both are associated with increased risk of Alzheimer’s.

I would be looking for another solution.

Jaxjacky Tue 17-May-22 14:18:59

So can other commonly used drugs Esspee as always, it’s quantifying the personal risk v benefit.

OakDryad Tue 17-May-22 15:09:07

A clinical study concluded: There is no significant difference in the clinical effectiveness of omeprazole and lansoprazole in relieving symptoms of heartburn and regurgitation. However, omeprazole is more effective in reducing gastric acidity than lansoprazole.

jmrionline.com/jmri/article/view/204

Marydoll Tue 17-May-22 15:17:14

OakDryad

A clinical study concluded: There is no significant difference in the clinical effectiveness of omeprazole and lansoprazole in relieving symptoms of heartburn and regurgitation. However, omeprazole is more effective in reducing gastric acidity than lansoprazole.

jmrionline.com/jmri/article/view/204

I was on Omeprazole, but it was totally innefective, so my GP changed my prescription to Lansoprazole, which did help.

Something which does work for me, is eating probiotic yoghurts first thing.

Casdon Tue 17-May-22 15:22:12

Isn’t Lansaprazole prescription only, so your GP would need to decide with you which was best?

GrannyLaine Tue 17-May-22 16:00:14

Esspee

Both are associated with increased risk of Alzheimer’s.

I would be looking for another solution.

What is the extent of the increased risk*Esspee*? Many on this site will be taking PPIs and without context, that isn't helpful information.

GrannyLaine Tue 17-May-22 16:02:05

Nikita80 would it perhaps be better to look at your diet first?

Audi10 Tue 17-May-22 16:09:56

Hi Nikita I have tried both of those given to me by my GP I stopped both due to reading about Alzheimer’s as I had a very close family member with it! And I changed my diet completely the reflux has not gone but not as bad as was! Also I know that many meds increase the chances of certain illnesses over the years, but for me I wanted to try going down the natural way after reading about it! And I’m happy that my diet now is reducing the effects!I wouldn’t advise anyone ever to stop taking any meds it’s down to each individual to talk to their dr or consultant if they are concerned

Fennel Tue 17-May-22 16:28:29

A recent thread relevant to this on gransnet:
www.gransnet.com/forums/health/1310212-Alzheimer-s-linked-with-PPI-use

vegansrock Tue 17-May-22 16:31:23

They are both associated with inflammatory bowel diseases such as IBS and colitis.

Nikita80 Wed 18-May-22 14:08:23

Thank you for all your feedback. Yes there both prescription only. I don't use the GP, I prefer online pharmacy. The online doctor at The Family Chemist gives me advice and I find it more efficient and reliable, but ultimately it depends on me. I think after careful consideration and reading comments I will be going ahead omeprazole.

In regards to my diet, I am going to start eating more healthy and cutting down on certain foods that cause me to have heartburn etc. I think hopefully both together be more effective. Stopping smoking has helped but my diet became poor as I have other cravings so its balancing it all out I suppose.

Hetty58 Wed 18-May-22 14:16:24

GrannyLaine, spot on - adjust your diet. It's bonkers using medication to relieve the consequences of a 'bad' diet. Daily probiotics and/or Kefir may help.

sandelf Wed 18-May-22 14:25:05

Hi Nikita80 I have a 'rolling hiatus hernia'. Did research and found the symptoms are worsened by stooping posture and anything other than being upright after a meal. Dr advised Omep - but as a thin white women I did not want to increase the risk of bone loss etc. So took to self help - better posture (I don't always manage but hey ho) and a teaspoon of Glutamine power in cold water before food in the morning. Glutamine is a protein that is particularly needed by the GI tract lining - and it is easy not to get enough. Just my thoughts - all the best.

Esspee Wed 18-May-22 14:49:36

I had a thread on this subject just last week quoting from the most recent paper which concluded there was a definite association.
I was concerned that many self medicate without understanding the risks.

Esspee Wed 18-May-22 14:52:50

Thanks Fennel. I'm on a boat and the sun is making reading difficult.

Esspee Wed 18-May-22 14:59:49

Both the PPIs mentioned by the OP are available over the counter in the UK.
Are you in another country Nikita80?

Esspee Wed 18-May-22 15:04:44

Jaxjacky

So can other commonly used drugs Esspee as always, it’s quantifying the personal risk v benefit.

Which is why everyone should be guided by their doctor, not self medicate which is the point I was making in my post about PPIs

GrandmasueUK Wed 18-May-22 15:30:22

After suffering from acid reflux for quite a while I was sent for a endoscopy, as there was a history of oesophageal cancer in the family. I have Barrett’s oesophagus, which can sometimes lead to cancer, and needed to have an endoscopy, every two years, with biopsy’s taken at the time to keep an eye on changing cells. This time I was offered a cytosponge test, which is less invasive and a lot cheaper. It involved swallowing a capsule on a string, which then opens out into a polymer sponge and it is then pulled out and the tiny hooks scrape cells on the way out. This test is also being used to test for Barrett’s oesophagus, which can be exacerbated by acid reflux. The whole thing took about 15 minutes, by a nurse endoscopist, as opposed to about an hour, with 4 staff performing the endoscopy. I had a slightly sore throat for a few hours, but no other side effects. It was a really interesting experience.

refluxuk.com/symptoms-and-diagnosis/diagnostic-tests/cytosponge/

I think it’s wisest to seek medical advice if you are suffering from reflux, as symptoms can be masked by taking medication, but the cause might be something potentially serious, but treatable. I hope you get it sorted soon.

Marydoll Wed 18-May-22 17:08:14

Sue, so nice to see you posting, albeit not in the best of reasons.

Mine Wed 18-May-22 19:40:18

I take omperazole every morning as I have a hiatus hernia....Went on holiday and forgot then and had to buy Nexium which are Esomeprazole as I thought it was the same medication but apparently is slightly different...It gave me vertigo..Anyone experience this with Nexium