Gransnet forums

Health

Downhearted and flat

(16 Posts)
Sheena Tue 24-May-22 07:37:25

I know this will come across as a "sorry for myself" post.. but that is sort of how I feel.

I have suffered with anxiety for years and years, but managed it on the whole fairly well.. however, since the first lockdown (which I welcomed as at last, no pressure to go or do anything) I have just gone downhill to the extent that I now really don't want to go anywhere or do anything.

I wake each morning around 5 am with that feeling of dread. I wish I could get enthusiastic about something but .. no.. that feeling evades me.

I have a loving husband .. allbeit he drives me to distraction sometimes, a lovely little dog (although she is very undemanding and takes herself off to be by herself a lot of the time) .. I have two lads and 5 grandchildren, but all very grown up now.

I feel a sense of failure most of the time. The friends I used to see pre lockdown I no longer meet up with (my choice) .. I don't want to join any groups again nor do volunteering ( been there.. done that) .

I feel such a lack of purpose . Physically I'm not great, can only walk short distances (with my dog) , don't like nor want to go shopping.. there's a limit as to how many times I can "do" a garden centre.. and I don't like gardening anyway !

I know this is a mild depression I am in and the anxiety is the absolute pits... always I think "if only I wasn't so scared to do stuff". But I am.

I'm sure there are many people who feel just as I do right now ... I feel close to tears a lot of the time as I think "is this it?"

I will be 73 next month .. so probably that doesn't help.
I spend my day saying "if only this and if only that" ....

Sorry to bleat on, but I just wanted to write this down. sad

M0nica Tue 24-May-22 07:42:50

Sounds to me as if you are suffering from depression. See/phone/speak to your GP.

Marydoll Tue 24-May-22 07:48:22

What a sad possible, Sheena. ?
I agree with Monica. It seems like you need some sort of intervention.

Lilypops Tue 24-May-22 07:55:03

Hi Sheena, so sorry you are feeling like this, you must go and see your GP as Monica suggests, Secondly, why don’t you want to meet up with friends again, ? Have you fallen out, if not I would ring one up , suggest going for a coffee and get chatting, just doing that is the first step to getting back out ,
You don’t have to be a gardener to go to garden centres , many have coffee shops inside, You can’t handle this on your own. You need help from GP. And a good chat with a good friend or two,
I hope this helps and that you feel better, feeling depressed is an awful thing , Best Wishes Sheena. X

rosie1959 Tue 24-May-22 08:02:47

I also suggest you speak to your GP and ask for help
I do understand where you are coming from but the answer may be face your fear and do it anyway. Meet up with your friends, go out with your husband or book a holiday.
Once you have actually done something you may find you start to feel better
I don’t know your circumstances so difficult to comment what activities you can physically or financially do.

BlueBelle Tue 24-May-22 08:03:19

I m another who would suggest a doctors visit and this is from someone who tries never to see a doctor and is a great procrastinator I got my Master degree in procrastination never do today what you can put off for tomorrrrrrrrrow
But
You are not sounding mildly depressed you are sounding full on depressed which can be easily rectified
No wonder you re little dog slopes offon her own she’s picking it up from you
One thing you can do alone and with no one else’s intervention is interact with nature do you have a wood or common, beach, sea, open park near you that you could go to ‘hug a tree’ is a joke but honestly an hour or two with you and nature will lift you enormously. Try it, take some deep breaths clothes your eyes and just bev

Redhead56 Tue 24-May-22 08:47:54

You are not alone the way you feel with mild depression and anxiety. Only you can help yourself out of this state of mind by posting on here you acknowledge you do have a problem. That is a positive so it’s a good start time for you to get off the starting line.
Make an appointment with your GP or nurse at the surgery. As soon as possible a counsellor or talking therapies has been a great help to people I know.
When you make the decision to get help it will give you the enthusiasm to do other things it will help you feel better.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 24-May-22 08:54:56

I second what Bluebelle says. Your dog will pick up on your unhappiness and move away from it. Your GP can help you - antidepressants changed my life. And getting outdoors is a wonderful tonic, as is doing whatever exercise you can manage. It doesn’t have to be like this, I promise.

lixy Tue 24-May-22 08:57:31

Not sorry for yourself at all, but facing up to a difficult situation.
The greyness is wearing isn't it? But you've taken the first step on the road to recovery by acknowledging that you are not living the life you want, so take courage from that.
Suggestions above to seek help are good ones - be brave and pick up the phone, walk to the end of your road, smile at the first person you see - wishing you well.

DanniRae Tue 24-May-22 09:43:37

I would like to send you some flowers and hope you take the advice of the posters above.
Sending my Best Wishes x

Kate1949 Tue 24-May-22 09:46:17

Hello Sheena. I'm sorry you are feeling like this. When people hear the word 'anxiety' they usually underestimate how horrible and totally debilitating it is. It Rob's you of any normal feelings.
I could have written your post. I feel exactly as you do. Every day is pretty much horrendous. Perhaps you have an understanding GP who will be able to help you. Good luck flowers

PollyDolly Tue 24-May-22 09:51:45

I agree with the above comments, a visit to your GP is overdue but you have made a bold and brave step by sharing your feelings on Gransnet.
Please speak to your Doctor Sheena.
Sending warm wishes.

henetha Tue 24-May-22 10:40:48

So sorry Sheena. But really glad you posted on here because there is lots of sympathy and good advice. It's depression and you really do need to seek help. Loads and loads of good wishes to you.

Sheena Tue 24-May-22 21:10:34

Thank you so much everyone for your kind comments and suggestions .

Puzzled Thu 26-May-22 18:44:33

If it will be any help, try writing a list of the good things in your life.
Your dog and its affection will be the starting point.
You can walk
You can take care of yourself
You have a roof over your head
You can see, smell, and enjoy the plants at a garden centre.

You should be able to think of more to show you that life is not THAT bad!
Hope that this is some comfort..

Shelflife Thu 26-May-22 19:00:45

Well done Sheena for posting here, you have made a first and important step towards helping yourself. I recognize that feeling of dread on waking, it happens to me and I have learnt to get out of bed as soon as I wake. I have a small kettle in the bedroom , fill it the night before then enjoy my earl grey as I sit in a chair - never in bed! It helps me feel more positive.
Please make an appointment to see your GP, and when you see him/ her don't downplay how bad you feel, explain exactly how you feel. Take the advice/ medication offered, you may then feel like picking up your social life . Be brave ring the surgery and try to contact a friend. Keep posting here , so many people who do care and want to support you. Good luck!!