Gransnet forums

Health

High cholesterol

(30 Posts)
MerylStreep Sat 28-May-22 08:37:17

According to the experts I suppose I should be dead by now or at least have had a heart attack. Mine hasn’t been below 9.2 for 12 years. I will not take statins.

I have sat with my friend in a heart consultants surgery when he told her to stay off the statins
Not all doctors believe in them, mine being one of them.

glammagran Sat 28-May-22 08:20:36

Everyone in my family has high cholesterol and the others are thin and dark (unlike me). Mine was 6.5 15 years ago, at its worst 7.2 and currently 6.8. I asked for statins at one time but was told they were unnecessary. But then my practice has been placed in special measures. I don’t eat any junk food but cannot lay off the cheese.

Kandinsky Sat 28-May-22 08:09:06

No I haven’t been prescribed any medication, but GP wants to test me again in 12 months, so I’m guessing if levels haven’t gone down I’ll be on tablets.
Funny you mention bread as I eat quite a lot of it, maybe that’s my problem?

glammanana Sat 28-May-22 08:03:51

Have you been prescribed statins by your GP or told to reduce by changing your diet ?
Mine is 2.8 reduced from 7 three years ago I take statins and don't go near any bread of any kind/low fat spread for cooking etc/no alcohol at all & skimmed milk.
There are some really good menu's on line to try.

Kandinsky Sat 28-May-22 07:54:21

Good Morning,

So, I’ve been diagnosed with high cholesterol ( 6 ) and told I have to reduce it - but how?
I’m not particularly overweight, I eat okay, I run 5k twice a week.
Any tips or advice greatly appreciated.