Gransnet forums

Health

?‍♀️Hip Replacement #2 ?‍♀️ (Knees Welcome!) ?‍♀️

(1000 Posts)
FannyCornforth Thu 23-Jun-22 08:38:52

Hello! ?
Welcome to ? 2!

A huge thank you and well done to Silverlining thanks for creating the first thread (which I’ll link to shortly)
It was an amazingly successful thread; which was remarkable considering that most of the time it was invisible! smile

silverlining48 Thu 23-Jun-22 16:00:36

WAlking poles are fine as long as two are used. Using one isn’t recommended. Think using one is worse than using none. I use them, when walking, they keep me straight.

Callistemon21 Thu 23-Jun-22 16:26:46

I mean wanging them around my head like baton twirling.
Should clear a path through TK Maxx

Callistemon21 Thu 23-Jun-22 16:27:43

Actually, the walking poles are good especially as my knee is playing up.

silverlining48 Thu 23-Jun-22 17:43:42

Baton twirling will give you that space Callistemon.
Even more than a long handled shoe horn. Which I cant stop saying has been a winderful buy fir 99 p in Ikea. I have one upstairs and one downstairs, not inly for putting on shoes but helping with socks, pulling things across the floor, even scratching my back... but now I have started taking one out shopping I have to be careful not to leave it hanging on a shelf somewhere. Woukd Mean a trip to ikea to replace.

silverlining48 Thu 23-Jun-22 17:46:54

Oh it also closes the windows I cant reach too by using the hook ( face of a snake) end. Everyone shoukd have one. smile

Callistemon21 Thu 23-Jun-22 20:11:47

I'll buy a couple, they sound very useful!

travelsafar Thu 23-Jun-22 20:42:55

Congrats on your hip operation Fanny. I wish you a safe and speedy recovery and will be watching this thread for any hints and tips you may pass on.flowers

Esspee Thu 23-Jun-22 23:23:20

Glad to see you in good spirits Fanny.

Naughtyneine Fri 24-Jun-22 12:20:16

Lol I wrote all this and then found the link was closed....I'm glad it's up and running again.
Fanny...the first few days really are up and down. Your emotions swing from elation that the wait is over to not knowing how you are going to get through the pain..discomfort... constipation etc but you do. ..I do remember times when I felt I was going backwards....I pushed myself to the limit in the early days ( probably because of years of having to be back on form really quickly after major ops or life at home was not good) . I took literally what any medical professional said....ie if I get I could drive...I could ... Likewise lying on my side... Getting in and out of the bath etc. There were days when I cried because I felt I wasn't getting back to normal quick enough and my other half told me not to 'beat myself up' it was only a matter of weeks since the op ....and the doctor at my 6 week check said the same. So go with what your body tells you.... I'm 9 weeks on now and even though the consultant said it would take longer than normal to get over the op due to previous surgery I am gardening for hours daily...On Sunday I had a boogie at the proms in the park and on Monday I got back on my vibrating plate to start to build up the lost muscle tone...all of us post oppers know exactly how you feel...so be reassured by the positives that feed in every week and soon it will be you posting too.
Travelsafar....I remember that pain so well....but only if I try hard....I was on morphine at the end along with Naproxen/Diclofenic sodium/Co codamol ( not all at once) and now maybe an odd paracetamol once a week if my back hurts. You too will soon be back in your beloved garden.
At my final physio last week I was told it can take up to a year to heal completely...I was shocked actually then thought ...how well are we Feb/March/April hipsters doing.

SusieB50 Fri 24-Jun-22 15:44:36

I’m trying again having posted it all previously on the old thread !
I’m still struggling a bit with the breathlessness which is so annoying. My “urgent chest X-ray” results are still not back -10 days now- who knows I could be wandering around with rampant TB !! So I have booked a private 24 hr ECG, well worth £100 to be able to get the results quicker. The main reason is because I need to book travel insurance for ??a holiday in July . Only going to France with DD and family in a car so no flying . Without all the tests back it will cost a fortune I’m sure . I do feel better though so I hope to go .
I tried some flat sandals on this morning but felt quite unstable still so will have to be highly fashionable and continue to wear my trainers with dresses !
Fanny hope all is well with you please ask the “old timers” for any advice/ ideas .

silverlining48 Fri 24-Jun-22 18:15:17

Naughtyneine am really impressed you can get in ( and out) of your bath. I practised with the physio from a chair onto a mat which stood in for a bath, but didn't actually sit down, but when i tried it at home realised that i just Couldn't sit down so got out again. Any advice? I love baths and dont love showers, so would be great.
Susie I got myself two pairs of those elasticated slip on shoes which are everywhere and seem popular and often worn with dresses. They dont look too bad, ish! and are very comfy especially with a inner sole. I need to replace my very old trainers too as they do give more support.
Off for a few days next week to the sea celebrating my birthday. Cant believe quite how old i have become. Trouble is apart from a few aches and pains, I exoect to do wgat I have always done and feel pretty much the same as I always have.

silverlining48 Fri 24-Jun-22 18:20:23

Susie meant to say I hope your test results come back clear and you enjoy your break in France. Hope its not too long before I can go.

Charleygirl5 Fri 24-Jun-22 19:06:58

Naughtyneine please get off the vibrating plate asap because it will slowly loosen your lovely new hip. Please slow down, I do not want you to regret it later and it does take a year for your hip to be back to normal.

silverlining48 Fri 24-Jun-22 19:24:30

My dr told me recovery would take 18 months, which was a surprise.

Charleygirl5 Fri 24-Jun-22 19:29:16

silverling you are all running before you can walk and I raise my brows in horror when I read some of the shenanigans. How nobody has dislocated a hip is beyond me.

silverlining48 Fri 24-Jun-22 19:50:33

Charleygirl I will have a chat with the excellent physio when i see her next week, but in the meantime fear not, I will not be sitting on the ground or in the bath.

Charleygirl5 Fri 24-Jun-22 21:49:47

Oh dear, I cannot even get your name right silverlining. I doubt if this will hit the top of active if even for 5 minutes. Why are we second-class citizens?

silverlining48 Fri 24-Jun-22 22:17:53

It’s been happening for some time. I don’t know why.confused
Don’t worry about a typo It’s easy to do especially when you are using the tiniest phone. However careful.

silverlining48 Fri 24-Jun-22 22:19:34

I mean it’s me with the tiny phone.... smile

Charleygirl5 Sat 25-Jun-22 07:14:32

silverlining a phone, whatever size would be beyond me.

silverlining48 Sat 25-Jun-22 11:42:45

Noticing that this is about to drop off the active list I thought I would see if it pops back up ... so here we go.
Today is my birthday. A strange feeling, as I just don’t feel as old as my years. On a good day that is. On a bad one I feel older, but that doesn’t happen too often, thank goodness.
I know in 10 years if I am still around I will look back and think how young I was/am today, so will value the fact that I am around in reasonable condition able to walk fir miles with my nice new hip. Feeling grateful, (but still surprised).
No need to respond. Just filling time til I get changed for lunch out.
Greetings to all hipsters and others x

Charleygirl5 Sat 25-Jun-22 11:56:20

That is a lovely treat being taken out for a birthday lunch. By the time you return this will be off the active list as usual. Happy birthday.

yogitree Sat 25-Jun-22 12:02:45

Yes, my second op resulted in my left leg being longer than my right! It gets less noticeable as time goes on to the point where I hardly notice it now 3 years down the line. I have other issues to bother me though, such as muscle atrophy from all the years I was immobile before operated upon.

TillyTrotter Sat 25-Jun-22 14:01:23

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday today silverlining
? ? ? ? ? ?

FannyCornforth Sat 25-Jun-22 14:58:44

Happy Birthday Silverlining! ?
Wishing you a lovely day and a very happy year ahead x