Gransnet forums

Health

Prolapsed everything!

(28 Posts)
susytish Wed 27-Jul-22 11:26:32

I have a uterine prolapse, have had a number of years. Also bladder. Have had a pessary fitted for same time. What have others experienced, and what were the outcomes?

Bobsgirl Wed 27-Jul-22 11:46:23

I have the same didn't get a pessary but just told to do kegel exercises was never sure if i was doing them correctly and things never improved much,i decided to buy a kegel8 ultra20 machine expensive but it works used it twice a day for 12 weeks and now just twice a week for maintenance.

Jane43 Wed 27-Jul-22 11:50:17

I have had a prolapse for about nine years, I assumed it was the uterus but apparently it is a rectocele. I was 70 when it first occurred and at first pessaries held everything in place reasonably well but as time went on they began to slip out and because of infection I had to go without one for weeks at a time. I asked to be referred to explore surgery but the consultant I saw said I was too old to risk surgery, I was about 75 then and in very good health. The GP prescribed topical oestrogen as the pessary slipping was due to vaginal atrophy but when I had breast cancer she cautioned against this. Just before COVID I was due to see the GP and was going to ask for another referral as I was completely unable to keep the pessary in place so I have been without a pessary since then and manage the prolapse by wearing support knickers and avoiding walks of more than a mile which is frustrating as I could walk much further and enjoyed it. I should see the GP again but I know there is little point in having another pessary inserted as it will slip out so keep putting it off.

In contrast my sister-in-law who is two years younger than me has a prolapse involving her bladder and hers is managed by the hospital rather than her GP. She has had it for about three years and her pessary now slips out of place. Right from the start the consultant said she would refer her for surgery if she wanted it it is her choice.

In summary I would say pessaries are a temporary measure and I wish I had been more proactive about seeking surgery. I would also recommend topical oestrogen to improve matters. I have also found that pelvic floor exercises are of little help.

Jane43 Wed 27-Jul-22 11:53:48

Bobsgirl I looked into the kegel machine but I would imagine your prolapse was less advanced than mine. I’m glad it worked for you.

Elusivebutterfly Wed 27-Jul-22 14:10:48

I had surgery for prolapse - hysterectomy with bladder and rectocele repair when I was 64. The GP advised surgery was better than a pessary as you would not want to be very elderly and frail in a nursing home and still having to have a pessary changed regularly.
By the time I had my surgery the prolapse was stage IV and a pessary would no longer work. I was also diagnosed with vaginal atrophy at the same time so take topical oestregen, without which I would struggle with incontinence.

Elusivebutterfly Wed 27-Jul-22 14:12:17

Jane 43, I don't see why you were told that 75 was too old for surgery. People have hip and knee replacements older than that.

Grammaretto Wed 27-Jul-22 14:38:59

Age 59, I had a hysterectomy for prolapsed vaginal posterior wall. A huge relief. That's it really.

Marydoll Wed 27-Jul-22 14:51:13

I had a hysterectomy and a repair for a uterine and bladder prolapse. Pessaries eventually didn't help.
It totally changed my life!

Beautful Wed 27-Jul-22 19:17:03

I have a prolapse, had it for years ... personally I didn't want an operation unless I had to, so have a ring fitted ... never had much trouble at all, although last time wasn't right, so changed to a smaller ring ... apparently things shrink when we get older !!! smile

Jane43 Wed 27-Jul-22 19:27:08

Elusivebutterfly

Jane 43, I don't see why you were told that 75 was too old for surgery. People have hip and knee replacements older than that.

I know. It was a male consultant and he was very dismissive. I’m not very good at being assertive and soon after I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had surgery without a problem. I think I will have to speak to my GP.

SueDonim Wed 27-Jul-22 23:26:07

I’m for surgery for prolapse. I’m 67. My consultant was happy for me to make my own choice from a range of options but when I decided on surgery she said she thought that was the best choice, because prolapse doesn’t get better and surgery is easier to recover from the younger you are.

Though given the time I’ve been waiting - 2yrs 4mths so far - I’ll be ancient anyway. hmm

SueDonim Wed 27-Jul-22 23:26:24

waiting for

Canarygirl1 Sat 30-Jul-22 20:49:39

just diagnosed with total pelvic floor prolapse and am seeing surgeon next month as the general opinion was as mine is so far advanced no point in rings or kegals

karmalady Sun 31-Jul-22 07:00:50

I noticed prolapse starting years ago and bought a kegel8, I used it religiously as instructed and it definitely helped. Then I forget to use it and the prolapse starts again after time, so back to kegal8. It has been like this for many years. I think I need to ensure I use the machine more regularly, will need to keep it on my bedside table

Elless Sun 31-Jul-22 10:00:00

I had a prolapse years ago and had a hysterectomy and TVT, the TVT never helped. Consequently the op caused a rectal prolapse which I had to have repaired. They told me that after the first op my rectal organs sort of 'fell' into the empty space.

Drina01 Wed 14-Sep-22 04:27:51

I’ve joined this conversation as I’ve had a VP diagnosed for about 8 years. Pessaries only fell out immediately and now seem to have rectocele stage 3. Am now having abdominal pain and groin pain unexplained by GP, but I think is to do with VP progressing. NHS wait to see someone is about 8 months am told. However a tiny medical policy I took out years ago may cover this. Am hesitant though as Consultant is male and would prefer female. The older I get the more worried I get about these things. I’m probably overthinking and find it difficult to talk to son and daughter about me not being ‘top of my tree’ anymore. I find Gransnetters so helpful ...

Esspee Wed 14-Sep-22 08:22:31

With menopause being a taboo subject women are still not informed of the long term results of oestrogen deficiency such as prolapse.
We need to inform the next generation that menopause, if not counteracted by oestrogen replacement, often results in prolapse which can be hugely debilitating, as well as osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, vaginal atrophy, loss of libido, incontinence, Alzheimer’s etc.
Every woman should be informed of this so that they don’t go blindly into their old age without understanding that menopause, and the later negative consequences can now be eliminated by taking hormone replacement therapy from perimenopause.

Grammaretto Wed 14-Sep-22 08:37:10

I agree Espee . Luckily my DGD, now teenagers have no hangups about talking about bodies and their functions.
Please don't worry about having a male consultant Drina. Mine was male, a wonderful Fijian who trained in Glasgow.
Before my hysterectomy he asked me if I was sure I had finished my family?
"What, I'm 64" said I. I know but I also run the fertility clinic and there are women who want to have babies in their 60s!

You must be very patient to have put up with this for 8 years. If I were you I'd get on that waiting list PDQ.

Drina01 Wed 14-Sep-22 23:39:49

What sense you both talk. Indeed I knew nothing about oestrogen deficiency ... am now thinking that a lot of my health problems are prob connected to this and I should have taken charge earlier. Too busy doing ‘stuff’ for other people me thinks ... time to change. As always good advice.

Esspee Fri 16-Sep-22 08:16:10

Drina01 I don't know what age you are but please don't procrastinate, few doctors will start you on HRT 10+ years after menopause.

storynanny Sat 24-Sep-22 21:46:24

I’ve just read the thread in tears. I know it’s fixable but this prolapse malarkey has made me completely housebound. I’m not managing it well at all.
It came on/down or whatever 4 weeks ago ( uterine front wall fall onto bladder which is pressing into caging I think). I’ve had 3 different rings fitted but they all fell down.
I’m going to get a private consultation asap and get it sorted. I inherited a bit of money when my dad died a few years ago and he would say use it and get sorted.
I’ve gone from active healthy nanny doing childcare, longish walks, meeting friends etc to lying down for long periods.
It’s not exactly painful and the go says it’s not advanced but I can hardly walk!
Any tips for temporary relief?

storynanny Sat 24-Sep-22 21:46:53

Caging???? Vagina

storynanny Sat 24-Sep-22 21:47:49

Go??? GP
Prolapse is obviously affecting my texting fingers

storynanny Sat 24-Sep-22 21:49:21

Also…. I’m absolutely terrified and tense about internals. Was the same every smear test.

Greyduster Sun 25-Sep-22 08:28:51

Have a repair. You won’t regret it. It turned my life around after faffing about with rings for far too long. They don’t use mesh now, you’ll only be in hospital a couple of days, and should recover quickly.