Gransnet forums

Health

Flu jab

(74 Posts)
kittylester Fri 26-Aug-22 07:32:37

Yesterday we received invitations, from Lloyd's Pharmacy, to book our flu jabs.

Is it too early?

winterwhite Mon 29-Aug-22 12:35:53

Our GP surgery says it will be offering covid jabs to its over 75s from 1 October. We'll wait for that.
The commercial pharmacies have fewer hoops to jump through re delivery of supplies and so forth, and are hoping to outpace GPs and rake in the income. All's fair in love and war I suppose....

Nannan2 Mon 29-Aug-22 12:46:02

Ive booked ours for september about middle with Asda chemist-i would have liked sooner as wanted youngest son jabbed before return to college but thats earliest they seem to be doing them.Just have to cross fingers that he catches nothing till then.(he usually does!)

Farzanah Mon 29-Aug-22 12:47:34

I would be cautious if over 65 because last year I was offered a vaccine without an adjuvant by a pharmacy, they didn’t have the vaccine specifically for older people. They didn’t volunteer this info, I had to ask which one they were offering. The adjuvant vacc means it is more likely to be effective in older people. I waited and had the more effective vaccine at the surgery.

I don’t know what the situation is this year.

ElaineI Mon 29-Aug-22 12:59:18

We've got dates for covid and flu together in October at community hospital. From NHS Scotland.

Nannashirlz Mon 29-Aug-22 13:02:47

I got mine end of Sept last year

muse Mon 29-Aug-22 13:10:41

According to the Lloyds website : the vaccine goes into production in March and usually becomes available in the UK from September.

NHS recommend people should aim to have the flu vaccine during October or November, although it’s not a problem if you get the jab later in winter.

Flu activity peaks between December and February but can be as late as May.

We’ve always had our call up for October.

GrannySeaside. We’ve both had the two together and no after effects.

Pittcity Mon 29-Aug-22 13:25:02

Ours is booked at Boots for mid October. We are under 65 and they wouldn't book us until after 11th October.

DH has had a COVID Vax invitation from the GP but we're waiting until we can book to go together.

kevincharley Mon 29-Aug-22 14:09:04

You may be able to book them but it doesn't necessarily mean you have the vaccination now. They may be taking advanced bookings.
Just a reminder: GP surgeries order enough vaccines for all their eligible patients. If, as an eligible patient, you have your vaccine at a pharmacy, you are then wasting the vaccine your GP has ordered.

Janetashbolt Mon 29-Aug-22 14:32:47

I work at a GP so I get mine there but we haven't even ordered ours yet. We have to have the inhaled ones for kids and injections for different age ranges

RedRidingHood Mon 29-Aug-22 14:37:52

I was invited to book mine at Lloyds in July. Have it booked for late Sept.

As to covid it seems they are waiting for the new bivalent vaccine from Moderna and that should be here in mid September. Anyone due for one now might want to wait for the new one.
I've had 5 doses so far 2x AZ and 3x Pfizer so I'm glad a more up to date onme will be offered.

readalot Mon 29-Aug-22 14:50:56

Me and hubby are getting ours October 3 rd

Ashcombe Mon 29-Aug-22 15:16:01

My surgery invited me to book but I couldn’t go on the specified date so I rang to explain but they couldn’t give an alternative and had no idea regarding my 4th Covid vaccination. I’m 72 with heart surgery expected in early October so I’m keen to have both. Subsequently, I booked with Boots for the flu vaccination for which there is no charge, PollyDolly, if one normally has it free on the NHS. I have informed my practice that I’m having it elsewhere.

Calendargirl Mon 29-Aug-22 15:17:40

kevincharley

You may be able to book them but it doesn't necessarily mean you have the vaccination now. They may be taking advanced bookings.
Just a reminder: GP surgeries order enough vaccines for all their eligible patients. If, as an eligible patient, you have your vaccine at a pharmacy, you are then wasting the vaccine your GP has ordered.

How do pharmacies do it? Do they order on the basis of how many they used the previous year? Do they also waste a lot, or do they ‘run out’?

Perhaps the GP surgeries need to do things differently, if they have a number of wasted vaccines. Why do we then hear there are shortages? Could some of the ‘spare’ ones be sent to where they are needed?

Pittcity Mon 29-Aug-22 15:41:23

I would've thought that both GPs and pharmacies ordered according to the number of appointments that have been made.
When I worked as a pharmacy dispenser we would place an order and it would be delivered later that day or the next day from the pharmaceutical warehouse. They would not have enough to cover the whole season at once. A shortage would occur if the suppliers couldn't resource any more. As for excess stock this would be sent to where it was needed.
I wouldn't worry about surgeries being left with excess just because you went to a pharmacy.

NotANana Mon 29-Aug-22 15:42:59

My flu jab is booked for mid October at Boots. I took the first date offered to me.

cornergran Mon 29-Aug-22 15:45:00

Our surgery invites eligible patients to attend for covid and flu jabs at the same time. Our appointments will be mid September. Mr C had both together last year with no ill effects. As I’d just had surgery and was full of strong pain killers I opted to have mine separately, this year I’ll have them together.

libra10 Mon 29-Aug-22 15:45:43

We had a message through on our 'My GP' app, that we could book Flu and Covid jabs, appointments at the local Health Centre.

After waiting over 30 minutes for the receptionist to answer, we are now booked in for mid October.

millymouge Mon 29-Aug-22 16:08:48

Flu and Covid injections booked for us both on 1st October. I get a message on my phone to say they are available and am sent dates to choose. Our doctors surgery are giving them both this year. Last year it was a trip to the Covid vaccination centre and then to the doctors for the flu.

NotAGran55 Mon 29-Aug-22 17:15:21

I was invited by text by my surgery to book a combined flu and covid appointment mid for October.

kevincharley Mon 29-Aug-22 20:42:29

Calendargirl

kevincharley

How do pharmacies do it? Do they order on the basis of how many they used the previous year? Do they also waste a lot, or do they ‘run out’?

Perhaps the GP surgeries need to do things differently, if they have a number of wasted vaccines. Why do we then hear there are shortages? Could some of the ‘spare’ ones be sent to where they are needed?

Sorry, I've never worked at a pharmacy so I don't know their procedures.
I suppose, in the end, who you choose, is dependent on where you want NHS money to go. Back into the GP's surgery or into a company like Boots or Lloyds.

Jane43 Mon 29-Aug-22 20:49:00

We always have ours in September, I booked them at Boots for September 20th.

Joy241 Mon 29-Aug-22 22:38:42

My sixth injection will be due twelve weeks after my last one, so that will be November. I book mine on the NHS app which gives a choice of local venues. I just choose the pharmacy with good parking. There will, I am told, be another due in the spring for older vulnerable folks.

Candelle Mon 29-Aug-22 22:39:11

Could I please echo what a few posters have written: your GP will order a vaccine suitable for you if you are in any of the relevant categories.

If you choose to have a 'flu jab elsewhere, your surgery will have bought your vaccine in vain.

Many 'flu vaccines are date sensitive.

Your surgery will also lose the income paid to administer the vaccine - this would go to Big Pharma (Boots is now an American company).

Many people complain about the lack of service at their GP surgery. If you would like to do something to help and support them, have your vaccines there.

On a very very basic level, there are not enough doctors to fill all the vacancies. A locum costs £100+ per hour and your surgery has to buy their services.

An additional expense this year will be heating: the surgery will have to be warm but the windows open. Can you imagine the cost?

If you really don't want more surgeries to close, please think twice about where you choose to book your vaccine.

The old adage applies, use it or lose it, for surgeries can't sustain an economic loss and more will have to close.

Joy241 Mon 29-Aug-22 22:40:58

kevincharley I should have mentioned that my surgery asks for an ‘RSVP’ so, in theory, there not be any wastage,

Marydoll Mon 29-Aug-22 23:00:27

I'm having my "flu and yet another Covid booster on 7th October. I am immunocompromised, and received an invitation from NHS Inform.