Gransnet forums

Health

Flu jab

(74 Posts)
kittylester Fri 26-Aug-22 07:32:37

Yesterday we received invitations, from Lloyd's Pharmacy, to book our flu jabs.

Is it too early?

Harmonypuss Mon 29-Aug-22 23:56:11

I never have mine until late November.
I was told many years ago that the jab is effective for about 3 months and the bulk of fly cases are usually in Jan & Feb.

muse Tue 30-Aug-22 09:51:37

Harmonypuss

I never have mine until late November.
I was told many years ago that the jab is effective for about 3 months and the bulk of fly cases are usually in Jan & Feb.

My DH found this graph last year. I'm tempted this year to get ours later. We usually get a text calling us in, in October.

BlueBelle Wed 07-Sep-22 17:18:52

I ve been offered my fifth CoviD vaccination but I really don’t think I ll accept it I only had my 4th one 3 months ago surely they last longer than that don’t they !
I will have my flu one but later during October I think now is too early

Marydoll Wed 07-Sep-22 21:01:11

I was told that I would have mine at three monthly intervals, which is what has happened. almost to the day!
I suppose it could be because I am immunocompromised.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 07-Sep-22 21:54:29

Our GPs don't do the flu or covid vaccinations any more (NHS Grampian). We should have invitations sent out to go to one of various centres in due course. Someone we know who is over 90 has had her invitation for a couple of week's time.

Last year they gave the covid jag in one arm and flu in the other. It meant a couple of nights of sleeping on my back as I had two sore arms, but I'm still very grateful to get the vaccines!

silverlining48 Wed 07-Sep-22 23:07:16

I asked at the surgery today as was having a blood test. Can only make an appointment for flu ( mid October) but at 74 too young for Covid no, 4 jab. Will have to wait for that.

Urmstongran Wed 07-Sep-22 23:14:25

I got a text today from our GP surgery to phone & book ‘flu jabs and 4th covid jabs. Very efficient!

I rang up and we both have both jabs booked for 1st October, at the surgery.
?

growstuff Wed 07-Sep-22 23:14:40

I'm 67 and have just been invited for my Covid jab, which I've made for the middle of October.

MayBee70 Wed 07-Sep-22 23:24:58

Spoke to my surgery today and they say they aren’t doing covid jabs. Told me to phone 119 ( ? ). I’m rather confused as to what the situation is regarding covid boosters at the moment.

Parsley3 Thu 08-Sep-22 08:53:35

We received letters last week with appointments for flu and booster jags in October. I only have to ring someone if the date and time isn't suitable.

aonk Thu 08-Sep-22 11:10:45

Every area seems to operate differently. I have booked my flu jab this morning. Our GP surgery is a very small place so they use the hall nearby on certain Saturdays. It’s an excellent system and the hall has a car park unlike the surgery.

aonk Thu 08-Sep-22 11:12:25

Ps I have been invited to book a covid booster next week at the local sports centre which has always been our vaccination centre. My 2 jabs will be 3 weeks apart.

lixy Sun 25-Sep-22 19:36:47

I was contacted by Lloyds ages ago and booked appointments. The reminder arrived today with this list of conditions for free jabs,

Am I eligible for a free NHS Flu vaccination?
The NHS flu vaccine is given to people who:

are 65 and over (including those turning 65 by 31 March 2023)
have certain health conditions
are pregnant
are in a long-stay residental care
receive a carer’s allowance, or are the main carer for an older or disabled person who may be at risk if you get sick
live with someone who’s at high risk from coronavirus (on the NHS shielded patient list)
frontline health or social care workers
and from 15th October 2022, people who are 50 and over (including those turning 50 by 31 March 2023)

I'm therefore postponing mine until after 15th October.
A bit irritated that either I didn't pick up on this or it wasn't clear to start with! The cost is £16.99.

Calendargirl Fri 30-Sep-22 16:08:38

Am pleased I had my flu jab on Tuesday as it seems a bout of flu has been predicted for end of October, and another maybe end of January.

It takes a couple of weeks to get immunity, so the jab sooner rather than later seems better to me.

MrsKen33 Fri 30-Sep-22 16:41:11

Just had a phone call from the surgery. Middle of October . Great

Daisymae Fri 30-Sep-22 17:15:53

Phoned our GP surgery to ask and booked an appointment for later in October. They did contact me. I think that is about the right time. Apparently in Australia it came early and then died down, according to an interview that I heard. Not to say that will play out here though.

watermeadow Fri 30-Sep-22 17:22:28

You don’t get any choice here unless you want to travel 20 miles. Mine are booked on consecutive days, not what I’d have chosen. Hope I don’t react badly to both.

Sago Fri 30-Sep-22 17:31:52

Had mine today?.
Sore arm though.

Oldbat1 Fri 30-Sep-22 19:38:47

We both had Covid and flu injections yesterday. We’re both suffering with our arms last night and today. Glad we’ve had both.

Sar53 Fri 30-Sep-22 20:26:59

I had my flu jab yesterday, walk in clinic in Boots. Very sore arm and woke up with a headache this morning but gone now.

yellowcanary Fri 30-Sep-22 20:51:55

I am 61 (diabetic type II) and had my 4th Covid jab last week - as did my friend, same age but no health conditions, we both had letters with appointments. Was supposed to be having my flu jab at my local pharmacy last Monday but no-one available to do it so got it tomorrow in another branch locally. Last year was the only time I have actually had it done through my surgery as they sent me an appointment date/time - usually they just say call to make an appointment, by which time I've usually had it done anyway.

welbeck Fri 30-Sep-22 22:00:15

i'm hoping to get my flu jab at GPs' walk-in on sunday am.
wish they could do covid at same time, but no.

Katek Fri 30-Sep-22 22:15:53

I share a health board with Wheniwasyourage and received appointments for both of us earlier this week. I’m on 10th October and Dh on 22nd for both vaccines at our local vaccination centre. Dd1 had both of hers 10 days ago in school. No gp involvement at all for any of us.