Gransnet forums

Health

Lactose Intolerant

(13 Posts)
Beau1958 Wed 28-Sep-22 12:51:31

I think I’ve become lactose intolerant I’ve been suffering for the last few years with stomach cramps gurgling bloating and diarrhoea. I had a yoghurt before bed last night and had an awful belly after. I’ve started having lactose free milk what else can I try.
I did have lactose free cheese it was horrible.

DaisyAnne Wed 28-Sep-22 13:14:15

Go to your doctor. You should be able to see a dietician, but they are, like everything else, few and far between. If not, ask if the doctor can take you through an elimination diet. It's a bit of a pain (not physically) but will tell you if it's the lactose or if you need to look at something else.

Don't try and guess. You could be intolerant to something different or other things too. Once you know, you can come back on, and I and others can point you at those lactose-free things that have a reasonable taste.

I am just going on your thoughts about lactose, but it might be worth first asking the doctor if you might have IBS. If you have, and he/she is up to date, you should get help to use an elimination diet to find out which fermentable sugars you can't tolerate. Lactose is a fermentable sugar. If you want more information on this, look up FODMAPs. Monash University in Australia is the place that did the research for this, so it's worth looking there. Again, push for help from a dietician if you can. PM me if you feel I could help - but go to the doctor smile

Beau1958 Wed 28-Sep-22 13:28:57

Thank you DaisyAnne I have had a breath test I have hydrogen SIBO which causes the same symptoms I follow the FODMAP diet but I’m still having these awful symptoms I do have another issue with scar tissue in my intestines so I have to be careful what I eat. I’m at my wits end I am ill most of the time possibly a couple of days in the week I feel ok.

merlotgran Wed 28-Sep-22 13:30:27

Your symptoms mirror those of gluten intolerance which can sometimes accompany lactose intolerance. You need to contact your GP and get a blood test which is the first step to a diagnosis.

DaisyAnne Wed 28-Sep-22 17:05:14

I think people get the impression you are either coeliac or you are ok with gluten. As you say merlotgran you can be intolerant without being coeliac.

DaisyAnne Wed 28-Sep-22 17:16:37

The best cheeses I have found is the Arla Lacto Free Cheddar. I don't like the vegan ones although they will be dairy free.

I can tolerate parmesan (one of my best discoveries!). As I understand it, with some cheeses the process removes all but a trace of the lactose.

Apparently, although I have yet to go through the challenge stage with it, if you make Sourdough bread in the original way, it too may be okay. The process destroys the fructans in wheat. I have too much on at the moment to sort out making the starter but it's on my list smile

Kalu Wed 28-Sep-22 17:19:03

I agree to visiting your GP. Be aware though that many medications contain lactose as DH discovered. They were still prescribed regardless of, lactose intolerant, clearly written on his medical records. It pays to double check.

DaisyAnne Wed 28-Sep-22 17:23:00

According to the last GP I saw, not my own, they need to consult a dietitian to know if medicines are okay or not.

(I know!)

Casdon Wed 28-Sep-22 17:32:13

My son is lactose free, he likes Leerdammer cheese, which is lactose free although it’s not marketed as such. His favourite cheddar is Cathedral City lactose free. Tesco also do a natural lactose free yoghurt in a large carton which he has regularly. It’s not easy to find lactose free food though, so he often buys stuff which is intended for vegans.

Whiff Wed 28-Sep-22 22:31:54

My son became lactose intolerant after he had a virus 4-5 years ago. Said lactose free cheese was like eating soap. He has coconut milk.

Fleurpepper Wed 28-Sep-22 22:36:59

I have never had any allergies or intolerances, but I do seem to have become milk intolerant. And yet fine with yogurt and cheese. Bizarre.

I now have Oat milk on my cereal in the morning, and diarroera and cramps gone.

DaisyAnne Thu 29-Sep-22 10:11:02

Casdon

My son is lactose free, he likes Leerdammer cheese, which is lactose free although it’s not marketed as such. His favourite cheddar is Cathedral City lactose free. Tesco also do a natural lactose free yoghurt in a large carton which he has regularly. It’s not easy to find lactose free food though, so he often buys stuff which is intended for vegans.

That is really useful to know Casdon. Thank you. There are some lists appearing in groups of "accidental" free from buys. Generally, this is either the ingredients are naturally no issue, or the process takes out the bit that is.

DaisyAnne Thu 29-Sep-22 10:14:00

Fleurpepper

I have never had any allergies or intolerances, but I do seem to have become milk intolerant. And yet fine with yogurt and cheese. Bizarre.

I now have Oat milk on my cereal in the morning, and diarroera and cramps gone.

You can see the wrinkles on the outside Fleurpepper but not the aging on the inside. Sadly, it happens.

Aging is so much less worrying than some other things that I actually like knowing that smile