Gransnet forums

Health

Depression

(51 Posts)
LadyHonoriaDedlock Sun 27-Nov-22 15:55:10

I crashed and burned last night. It happens now and then, but this was a particularly rough landing. I guess it's the price I pay for being a very square peg in a very round world. I know I'm a bloody difficult woman sometimes, with autism and all.

I've fought battles with the mental health services for years, to no avail. My GP just wants to throw pills at it. I can't afford therapy.

Do any others of you know this feeling? How do you find it best to deal with it?

I'm over the worst now, I think, but I'm still very fragile. Can I have some TLC please?

Welshy Thu 05-Jan-23 22:19:48

I always found reading forum sites like these below helped my anxiety and depression. You don't realise how many people are in the same boat as you.

www.nomorepanic.co.uk/forum.php

forums.beyondblue.org.au/

www.depressionforums.org/forums/forum/12-depression-central/

ajong Sat 24-Dec-22 18:58:24

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Smileless2012 Wed 14-Dec-22 19:50:17

Hi Rowantree I'm sorry today's not been too good for youflowers. After days like that when I go to bed, I am always glad that that day is over, because tomorrow is always a new one.

Rowantree Wed 14-Dec-22 19:42:53

What a lovely supportive thread. Just popped in after a very long break from Gransnet. Skim read some of the posts and love the warmth and kindness. Lady H, I am a very square peg, have a daughter aged 41 just diagnosed finally with high functioning autism, my OH is definitely on the spectrum and I often feel overwhelmed in groups of people, left out, with a lifelong feeling of not belonging anywhere. I do have a few lovely friends but struggle with a big gathering. I have struggled for many years with A&D and though in the last few years I've been loads better, I have days ( today!) when it's definitely not, and it's scary. I take escitalopram and pregabalin and both have definitely helped. I hope you all have a calm and rested evening.

Grannmarie Mon 28-Nov-22 19:45:44

You are very welcome, Blossoming. 👍

Blossoming Mon 28-Nov-22 19:36:19

Thanks GranMarie

loghan4 Mon 28-Nov-22 19:31:33

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Grannmarie Mon 28-Nov-22 19:24:44

LadyHD, hope you're feeling a wee bit better soon.

Allsorts, 👋 hello, wishing you well.

Grannmarie Mon 28-Nov-22 19:20:08

Sorry I can't do links ...

Grannmarie Mon 28-Nov-22 19:16:03

Blossoming, it's not a link, just a screen shot.

Allsorts Mon 28-Nov-22 18:37:07

LadyH, I know a little how you feel. I come over as very confident and spent my working life in very good jobs, I made my own decisions and disliked being in one place for too long, I couldn't have sat in reception or an office, needed to be out and about. As I’ve got older I realise that I dislike being in crowded social situation, don’t like to be in groups of more than 4 friends, known to cope with 6 but am always first to leave and would never instigate such a meeting unless it was work. I have lost so much confidence since being estranged from my d who has never had a good thing to say about me, she thought me not good at anything. Something very minor can trigger going into depression and I try to hide it, but can’t wait to get home if I’m out. Then one day, it could be weeks away or more, something triggers and bring me out of it, feeling balanced again. Never been to a doctor about it or discussed it with my friends. I don’t see any joy in most things when I’m depressed and each day a trial, This past year has been the worst I have ever felt, think it’s the result of too much time alone during Covid. The feeling that i am different that people are judging me can be overwhelming.

Blossoming Mon 28-Nov-22 16:24:31

Hope you’re feeling a bit brighter today LHD ❤️

I’m going to look at the apps suggested by Granmarie they sound good.

Nannagarra Mon 28-Nov-22 15:15:44

Sending you a hug LHD and the express wish that life looks better today. x

Grannmarie Sun 27-Nov-22 23:34:17

Worth a try! 👍

LadyHonoriaDedlock Sun 27-Nov-22 23:27:13

Anything with Bill Paterson speaking has to be good! I'm off to the Play Store right now.

Grannmarie Sun 27-Nov-22 23:17:18

Hello, LadyHD, thinking of you and wishing you well. 🥰
I'm in Scotland, like Granny23, and there is NHS app available to help with anxiety/depression, it's called Daylight, the new version Daylight 2.0 is now available . It has lots of hints and advice on self help strategies to cope with worry, repetitive thoughts, reframing your thinking, challenging your thoughts...

There is also an App called Sleepio, to help re establish good sleep routines if your depression/ anxiety is causing
you sleepless nights. It is narrated by Bill Paterson, easy voice to listen to.

Sorry I can't do links but you can download them free from the App store or Google play.

Hope you feel a wee bit better soon, NNGB.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Sun 27-Nov-22 22:54:31

I am certainly on the mend and feeling uplifted by the magnificent support from this place!

I'll be oft to bed shortly. I'll have a nice comforting read (The Black House by Peter May) and hopefully I'll drop off. If I know anything about how these things work on me, I'll be somewhat better in the morning but feeling battered and drained. It's such an exhausting thing, depression.

BigBertha1 Sun 27-Nov-22 22:29:26

I'm sorry Lady Honoria that you are feeling awful. I hope you have got some comfort in here and hopefully starting to feel a little better.

Granny23 Sun 27-Nov-22 21:45:50

Wee not week!!

Granny23 Sun 27-Nov-22 21:44:29

In Scotland there is a NHS helpline called Breathing Space. It operates from 8 pm to 2am weekdays and' I think 24hours at weekends. The number is 0800838587.

The people on the end of the line are wonderful. They will let you talk for as long as you need. I have contacted them 3 times now and always felt much the better of it - one had me in fits of laughter by the end of the chat grin .

My Anxiety and depression is always worse on dark and driech days. I am usually much better if there is some sunshine, as there was today. I went for a week walk and ran into my lovely former neighbours, together with their DD who was up visiting with her precious, new baby girl. We had a chat and baby chuckled and smiled at me (think it was my glasses that fascinated her as none of her family wear glasses. I came home feeling blessed.

Sar53 Sun 27-Nov-22 21:18:06

Another big hug from me LadyHonoria. I know how you feel. I suffered with depression for a long time, antidepressants helped and talking to a brilliant therapist was a life saver.
I often feel I don't fit in.
I have a very loving husband and two wonderful daughters but I have always struggled to make friends and often feel very lonely.
The Samaritans can help. I have spoken to them in the past and a few years ago I actually trained to be one.
We are always here for you. Gransnet is a lifeline for a lot of us. So much support and friendship.
I hope you can start to feel better soon.
Much love xxx

Redhead56 Sun 27-Nov-22 20:38:34

Getting divorced from my husband who was vile mentally challenged me years ago. My doctor said because I was bringing up my baby daughter and little son alone amid such troubles I was strong. I would get over it and the black cloud in my head will go it did take time but it eventually went.

There have been a few occasions since when I have felt the same mainly over my mum being ill and arguing with my family. We don’t communicate now it’s healthier not too.

Recently my DD has been very unwell that pushed me right down. I have had to be strong to deal with it. She is healing but I still cry because I worry about her she is so fragile.

I don’t know why you hit the low times only you know the answer to that but if you can identify why you can help yourself. You do fit in everyone does life is a jigsaw puzzle.

Your doctor should put you in touch with counselling it should not cost you money. I know the NHS is stretched right now but do ask for help in the meantime a hug from me and I wish you well.

Blossoming Sun 27-Nov-22 20:35:49

Lady Honoria I too had a good career in IT until I retired 2 years ago, I managed to land a job with one of the few software houses that isn’t run by a bunch of juvenile willy wavers 🤣. I have come up against some truly obnoxious IT (mis)managers in my time.

MrsKen33 Sun 27-Nov-22 20:16:17

Really sorry to hear you are having a difficult timeLHD and Hope thing will improve for you soon. Lots of lovely people on here thinking of you, so all will be well.

MayBee70 Sun 27-Nov-22 20:08:01

flowers and a hug from me, too. I’ve never really fitted in anywhere either. Maybe we should form a square peg club x