Gransnet forums

Health

Scarlet Fever

(54 Posts)
Erica23 Wed 07-Dec-22 10:01:33

Our little Grandson came down with Scarlet fever on Sunday, he’s 5 they’ve also closed the school this week as their aren’t enough teachers. My daughter was asking if she’d had it when young because she’s starting to feel unwell. I honestly can’t remember.
Just wondering if anyone else remembers their child having it, mine were born in the 80s.

Caleo Sat 10-Dec-22 11:30:51

Natural immunity can be acquired from a source of infection such as other people or sometimes things they have used. SF is very infectious usually via droplets in the air. Specific immunity to SF can be naturally acquired. I nursed SF cases in 1948 in a fever hospital. Nurses took a skin test to find if they had acquired natural immunity , and most young nurses had naturally acquired immunity.

It stands to reason that when SF is a rare occurrence people don't get a chance to acquire natural immunity.

Shinamae Sat 10-Dec-22 11:37:46

My mum had scarlet fever and meningitis as a child. My dad had TB I think he was in his 20s and went to Autmoor (?)sanatorium in South Devon, I remember him saying that men were dropping like flies around him and also that all the windows were kept wide open no matter what the weather was like! he lived until he was 87…

Shinamae Sat 10-Dec-22 11:40:29

Shinamae

My mum had scarlet fever and meningitis as a child. My dad had TB I think he was in his 20s and went to Autmoor (?)sanatorium in South Devon, I remember him saying that men were dropping like flies around him and also that all the windows were kept wide open no matter what the weather was like! he lived until he was 87…

It was Hawkmoor.. Just Googled it to check the spelling..🤓