Gransnet forums

Health

hearing aids

(31 Posts)
Catlover123 Thu 05-Jan-23 15:33:55

I got some nhs hearing aids about 4 years ago but I couldn't accept them, I found that they were much too noisy for me and I couldn't turn down the sound anymore than it allowed and they didn't feel comfortable in my ears (I have very small ears!). I now feel I have to get some hearing aids and wonder about Amplifon? would they be better and more comfortable? Has anyone any experience they can share?

Oldbat1 Fri 24-Mar-23 18:01:05

I’m an nhs hearing aid user. Mine are digital but not Bluetooth so they can’t be linked to my mobile phone or tv. I’m now on a very very long list to see IF I can be considered for Bluetooth aids. Audiologist said my current aids are at least 2 generations behind private ones but I’ve only had them 2years so not due for upgrade. To buy privately would cost £3500 at least. Good luck.

Salti Fri 24-Mar-23 18:05:04

My husband got his first NHS hearing aids about 5 years ago when he thought he didn't need them. AAaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!! Consequently he moaned about them when he wore them and that was increasingly a rare event. At the beginning of this year he went back for a follow up hearing test and got new hearing aids. I don't know what happened but he took to the new ones immediately and wears them almost constantly. He had varying options and the follow up care, including diagnosis and syringing when he was having problems has been first class and very speedy. I think he would now find it very hard to live without them....... and I would find it even harder. I hate having to shout at him when he doesn't wear them.

Ashcombe Fri 24-Mar-23 18:25:58

Three weeks ago, I attended for an audiology appointment at my local hospital at which my original basic NHS aids, which had an ear mould, were replaced with virtually invisible ones which I can control from an App on my iPhone! All without any charge. How impressive is that? We are so lucky in this country regarding our NHS!

The App enables me to check battery life, adjust the settings for volume, treble and bass, change the direction of the aids and set them for universal or noisy environment. I would really recommend them.

Grantanow Wed 29-Mar-23 17:57:47

My OH had NHS aids but could never get used to them - too fiddly controls, battery changing - and had nonexistent follow up by NHS Audiology. Now on private aids from Hidden Hearing - very expensive but no battery changing, controlled from app on tablet so no fiddly controls, drop into a charger overnight - and with very attentive follow up help. More sophisticated aid enables reducing nearby noise. It's the kind of service we should get from the NHS and I blame the Tories for running it down.

joand04 Thu 25-May-23 06:15:59

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.