Gransnet forums

Health

Cataract op after care.

(21 Posts)
LRavenscroft Thu 02-Feb-23 12:59:24

Please could some of the gransnetters advise what they did for cataract op aftercare? I only have sight in one eye and am due for a cataract op over the coming months. My fear is that I will do something silly in the aftercare period and I do worry about things like washing my hair, having a shower etc. How did other gransnetters follow the instructions given and what did they find worked? Many thanks for your advice.

Luckygirl3 Thu 02-Feb-23 15:49:20

I am glad that you have this highly successful procedure coming up. I had both done together and it was totally untraumatic and painless.
I was a bit worried about protecting my eyes afterwards but it was no problem at all. I used Nilaqua to wash my hair ... you pour little drops into your hand, rub into your hair and then dry with a towel. There is no rinsing to get liquid in your eyes.
I did not wash my hair in the shower for about 2 weeks. I did not shower for over a week but had strip washes and used a good deodorant.
There are drops ... 2 lots ... to put in 4 times a day for about 4 weeks.
I hope it all goes well for you.

joannapiano Thu 02-Feb-23 16:02:59

I had one cataract done two weeks ago and had the follow up appointment yesterday. It was quite a thick cataract and I really notice the difference. I wore a plastic shield over that eye for 2 nights afterwards. I was very careful to just dab my face with a flannel for the first week as it isn’t good to get water in your eye. DH helped me wash my hair backwards over the bath this week. I had antibiotic drops and anti inflammatory drops 4 times a day and lubricating drops as needed. However, the Consultant said yesterday that the drops were keeping my eye sore, and to now stop them. I was warned it is not good to bend over from the waist after the op. I had a friend who lost sight in her eye after lots of trouble with her post- op regime, so have been extremely careful! I was surprised how wiped out I was for a few days afterwards, take it easy!
Sight in that eye is excellent, roll on the left eye in March!

LRavenscroft Thu 02-Feb-23 17:05:42

Luckygirl3

I am glad that you have this highly successful procedure coming up. I had both done together and it was totally untraumatic and painless.
I was a bit worried about protecting my eyes afterwards but it was no problem at all. I used Nilaqua to wash my hair ... you pour little drops into your hand, rub into your hair and then dry with a towel. There is no rinsing to get liquid in your eyes.
I did not wash my hair in the shower for about 2 weeks. I did not shower for over a week but had strip washes and used a good deodorant.
There are drops ... 2 lots ... to put in 4 times a day for about 4 weeks.
I hope it all goes well for you.

Thank you very much for your advice. It is very much appreciates.

LRavenscroft Thu 02-Feb-23 17:06:34

joannapiano

I had one cataract done two weeks ago and had the follow up appointment yesterday. It was quite a thick cataract and I really notice the difference. I wore a plastic shield over that eye for 2 nights afterwards. I was very careful to just dab my face with a flannel for the first week as it isn’t good to get water in your eye. DH helped me wash my hair backwards over the bath this week. I had antibiotic drops and anti inflammatory drops 4 times a day and lubricating drops as needed. However, the Consultant said yesterday that the drops were keeping my eye sore, and to now stop them. I was warned it is not good to bend over from the waist after the op. I had a friend who lost sight in her eye after lots of trouble with her post- op regime, so have been extremely careful! I was surprised how wiped out I was for a few days afterwards, take it easy!
Sight in that eye is excellent, roll on the left eye in March!

It is so reassuring to hear from other people who have had the op. Thank you very much.

aonk Thu 02-Feb-23 17:27:41

I’ve had both mine done on separate occasions. I rested for a couple of days each time. I made sure my hair was freshly washed before each procedure and then left it for a few days. I had baths instead of showers. I would advise having sunglasses for bright weather and some painkillers in case of a headache. Most importantly you’ll be given aftercare advice before you go home. I hope all will go smoothly for you. There is no reason why not so try not to worry. It will change your life for the better.

LRavenscroft Thu 02-Feb-23 17:30:15

aonk

I’ve had both mine done on separate occasions. I rested for a couple of days each time. I made sure my hair was freshly washed before each procedure and then left it for a few days. I had baths instead of showers. I would advise having sunglasses for bright weather and some painkillers in case of a headache. Most importantly you’ll be given aftercare advice before you go home. I hope all will go smoothly for you. There is no reason why not so try not to worry. It will change your life for the better.

Thank you so much for your reassuring words.

Normandygirl Thu 02-Feb-23 17:37:59

First of all, let me reassure you about the op itself. I was absolutely terrified but the whole thing was a breeze., completely painless and fairly quick. The difference is immediate and the brightness and clarity of your new vision is wonderful. You will be discharged with an eye shield for protection in the first 48 hours and a set of eye drops, I had 3 different ones. You apply all the drops for the first couple of weeks and one set for 28 days. I was never told not to wash my hair or avoid getting water in my eyes after the first 48 hours. Like others have said, I can't wait to get my other eye done nowsmile

BlueBelle Thu 02-Feb-23 18:16:32

I ve had both done recently The first op was horrid but the after care easy, the second op a dream but more troublesome aftercare. However I d do it again tomorrow if needed and some of my problems was because I have some complex eye problems not just dense cataracts

I had to use the eye shield at night for two weeks and two lots of drops for 4 weeks
I showered and washed my hair everyday by using a pair of tight googles so I kept my eye watertight

This time they have had to change one set of drops as the steroid ones put the pressure up so now on different ones for a month and they have given me some side effects but I m sure none of this will effect you

the first day was very painful with the brightness but that went away quickly
Because of my problem eyes I have got to have both of my new lenses ‘polished‘ which I m told is quick, easy and a one off

You ll be thrilled with the results

Nanatoone Thu 02-Feb-23 18:22:47

I did the lens replacement surgery about ten years ago (I was in my fifties and hated glasses). It was wonderful, exactly the same as cataract surgery but the lens they implant is your prescription. The recovery was easy, same as noted by others and dry eye drops for three weeks. Ten years on the best £3,300 I have ever spent as I will never get cataracts and will never need glasses. Fantastic.

henetha Thu 02-Feb-23 18:25:53

I had cataract surgery last Friday and it went well. It's painless and quite easy. They do emphasize that the aftercare is very important . I still haven't washed my hair yet. I'm very careful to use the eye drops regularly and keep the eye clean. I've been driving already but only locally for essentials.
I must add that my eyesight is now brilliant and everything is very bright.
I've got a post surgery appointment in March.
Don't worry, LRavenscroft, you will be given clear instructions regarding aftercare. I've got a whole booklet of them.

anna7 Thu 02-Feb-23 19:18:17

I'm another who has had cateracts removed from both eyes. It was painless and straightforward. I showered and washed my hair the day after with no problems. I was careful to keep the affected eye dry. I was told it's not water in the eye that could cause a problem but rubbing the eye if water does get in (which it didn't)

You will be delighted with the results. Good luck.

Urmstongran Thu 02-Feb-23 19:36:00

My 90y old stepfather has had both eyes done now on separate occasions, the last one only a few months ago. He said it was a ‘doddle’. I did worry about him doing his own eye drops 4x a day but the nurse said to him ‘pull gently down below your eye and make a ‘pouch’ to pop the eye drops in’. He managed quite easily by himself and is absolutely delighted with the results.

Good luck LRavenscroft. Hope you’re delighted too.

Normandygirl Thu 02-Feb-23 22:09:45

anna7

I'm another who has had cateracts removed from both eyes. It was painless and straightforward. I showered and washed my hair the day after with no problems. I was careful to keep the affected eye dry. I was told it's not water in the eye that could cause a problem but rubbing the eye if water does get in (which it didn't)

You will be delighted with the results. Good luck.

Yes, I had forgotten that the most important instruction was not to rub your eyes, it's surprising how often you go to do that without thinking!

Juicywords Fri 03-Feb-23 10:51:03

I may need some eye surgery at some point, and one of my worries is the antibiotics post surgery.

I always struggle with the gel form of antibiotic (which is often prescribed because it is stronger than the drops). I find it difficult to administer, as the gel comes out in a great lump on the end of the tube, and either doesn’t “drop” into the eye, or it congeals in huge messy lump on the eyelash, not going into the eye itself. I also find it difficult to keep my eye open (especially when my eye is sore because of infection/surgery) during the long time it takes to administer the antibiotic.

Does anyone have any solutions to this dilema? I’d be very grateful for any advice.

Luckygirl3 Fri 03-Feb-23 11:01:10

My eyes were not sore at any point - that simply did not happen. My surgeon did not recommend the eye shields - he said I was more likely to roll over in bed at night and displace the shield which would then poke in my eye.

So I left the clinic looking entirely normal, and was driving the next day.

ExDancer Fri 03-Feb-23 11:01:17

Enough gets into the eye to be effective so don't worry about the gel getting caught on your lashes JuicyW. The important thing is not to get any infection into the eye - so fingers away from your face, keep the shield in place as long as you're told to and never use out of date eyedrops.
Ask the consultant who does the procedure if you need to take extra precautions.
You'll be so pleased you had it done.

silverlining48 Fri 03-Feb-23 12:06:45

Hello Ravenscroft. Is you operation in your good eye? If so then your sight will be affected if it is covered. You may need help for the first day or so.

LRavenscroft Fri 03-Feb-23 12:44:24

silverlining48

Hello Ravenscroft. Is you operation in your good eye? If so then your sight will be affected if it is covered. You may need help for the first day or so.

Yes, it is. I have very limited vision in the second but enough to get around. Thank you for thinking of that.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 03-Feb-23 12:58:48

Follow the instructions given you by the hospital exactly.

They should already have given you a prescription of the eye drops you will need to use and told you how often to use them.

The nurse at the dept. will also tell you when you may wash your hair and wear eye makeup again, or go swimming in the public baths.

if there are restrictions on carrying anything heavy she will tell you that too and how long the instructions apply.

It is always best to ask for these details of after-care at the hospital as eye surgery is a field that is developing and changing very fast, so what I was told four years ago may no longer apply.

What bothered me most was that the eye-drops were in a container one was supposed to be able to squeeze, and I found out my fingers just are not strong enough to do so. Forunately, my husband could and did give me the drops, so ask the nurse whether this is a problem with the eye-drops they prescribe. If it is, she should be able to arrange for the district nurse to come in if you cannot manage alone.

It is very important that you use the drops as prescribed.

watermeadow Sun 05-Feb-23 19:04:44

Ravenscroft, I too had cataract surgery on my good eye and have little sight in the other. I had a transparent shield over the good eye after the op so could see enough to manage. I had a general anaesthetic so a daughter stayed with me overnight.
The instructions are very clear, just do what the hospital leaflet tells you. You will also have numbers to call if you need.
Hope it goes well for you.