Gransnet forums

Health

Horrible Scale and Polish at Dentist

(39 Posts)
LRavenscroft Mon 06-Mar-23 17:08:30

I went for a scale and polish at my dentists the other days and for the life of me I could not cope with the amount of water in my mother. The dental nurse was trying to vacuum up what she could but I was finding it hard to swallow any excess which I have always been able to do in past years. The dentist was very patient and stopped and started and worked as fast as he could but I am still surprised at myself for not managing this. I think it could be a sign of getting older (late 60s). What do other Gransnetters find?

Hetty58 Wed 08-Mar-23 09:19:39

(from one who likes to get her money's worth)
I've just noticed that they've now added 'if clinically needed' on the NHS website. If they suggest a scale and polish - that proves it is needed (before you book the next one):

'Band 1: £23.80
Covers an examination, diagnosis and advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, a scale and polish (if clinically needed), and planning for further treatment.'

www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/dentists/dental-costs/how-much-will-i-pay-for-nhs-dental-treatment/

BigBertha1 Wed 08-Mar-23 09:33:03

We both went to the hygienist's last week and we both felt she had rattled every tooth in our heads. She used to water flosser/cleaner thing and then the metal probe thing - it took ages and i know she was being thorough but it was uncomfortable and she didn't speak a word. Is bedside manner not a thing anymore?

nanna8 Wed 08-Mar-23 09:41:49

One thing I get free is a check up and clean because the insurance actually covers this. Not much else but it’s something at least. I love how clean your teeth feel after a clean and polish. No matter how much I brush myself with my electric toothbrush they still feel mossy after a couple of hours.

lixy Wed 08-Mar-23 09:53:57

Paracetamol a couple of hours before hand, and I put some Bonjela on my gums too and that seemed to help.
New hygienist is lovely - very gentle and thorough - but I still do the preventative pain relief before hand!

aonk Wed 08-Mar-23 11:09:14

I had some treatment last week from a periodontist. I’d gone to the dentist with toothache and an X-ray revealed infection below the gum line. I wouldn’t recommend this treatment but I’ll do anything to maintain my dents health. When I go to the dentist or hygienist I’m a bit “cards on the table” with them. I remind them that the water drill causes me problems and that I have a gag reflex. I find it helps to speak out both before and during treatment. If a particular hygienist causes a problem then ask to change if possible.

aonk Wed 08-Mar-23 11:09:46

Not dents but dental!

harrigran Thu 09-Mar-23 08:31:08

I had a scale without the polish yesterday and I am left with jaggy bits on the back of my lower teeth. I now have a sore tongue because it keeps rubbing the area.
I have a female dentist who is very kind and stops if I raise my hand but lying flat and having all the water in my mouth is a horrible experience.
I took paracetamol an hour before the appointment, seemed to help a little.

MerylStreep Thu 09-Mar-23 08:40:09

aonk
My daughter had 3 of those treatments. It sounded like absolute torture, and it cost her £1,700 😱
But it did work. All her infection has gone.

Farzanah Thu 09-Mar-23 09:58:29

My hygienist only uses the water flosser if requested, otherwise as during covid, does manual scraping.
My previous dentist used to scale and polish at a check up, but now going to the hygienist I can see this is done much more thoroughly.

I’d hate to lose teeth because of gum disease.

MayBee70 Thu 09-Mar-23 10:06:22

I have really sensitive teeth and dread having a scale and polish. But I found the water flossing much easier to cope with. I always used to lose a filling every time I had a scrape and polish but this time ( touch wood) my fillings have remained intact.

watermeadow Thu 09-Mar-23 20:03:13

Why do people have this done? I never have. How long does any effect last?

MayBee70 Fri 10-Mar-23 00:19:31

Because some people suffer from a build up of plaque no matter how much they clean their teeth and plaque can lead to gum disease.

Riggie Fri 10-Mar-23 01:00:57

I hate all the water in my mouth, while the nurse seemingly stands there with the suction thing just suctioning fresh air!

A previous dentist (now retired) used a small suction device that hooked over the lip. He always used to give it to the patient - tell us where it was needed and then left it to us to put it in place so it was comfortable and we could tilt it around if water started building up.