Gransnet forums

Health

Horrible Scale and Polish at Dentist

(38 Posts)
LadyGracie Tue 07-Mar-23 21:08:30

I always call it a torture appointment, £48 for the privilege, although my hygienist is very gentle and she stops often.

Ali23 Tue 07-Mar-23 21:03:34

I joined my dentist practice last summer. Previously my old dentist always saw to the scrape and polish and was very kind. This dentist sent me to the hygienist, and what a shock! Lots of pain, and spitting little blood clots all day afterwards. I’ve got to see him again on Friday and I’m absolutely dreading it!

Oldbat1 Tue 07-Mar-23 20:44:20

Not good if you have sensitive teeth. My practice has a new young hygienist who is very gentle. Thank goodness I say.

rubysong Tue 07-Mar-23 20:40:38

I can't cope with it at all. I'm fine with fillings etc but can't do with the descaling. My dentist just scrapes any tartar away with a metal probe.

Zoejory Tue 07-Mar-23 19:46:23

I had to stop having a scale and polish for a while.

It wasn't an excess of water but the excruciating pain she put me through! I knew I wasn't alone because other people mentioned it.

Oreo Tue 07-Mar-23 19:44:26

Happysexagenarian

I also can't cope with the water cleansing, so I ask the hygienist to do it the old fashioned way without water. It takes a little longer but she does it really well, and it's just as effective.

Am going to ask for that next time, I can’t stand all the water either feel like am drowning.
I only go and get this done about every four years it’s real expensive.

wildswan16 Tue 07-Mar-23 19:22:02

I just wish they would warm the water up a bit. It is sometimes so cold it makes my ears hurt.

Happysexagenarian Tue 07-Mar-23 18:15:17

I also can't cope with the water cleansing, so I ask the hygienist to do it the old fashioned way without water. It takes a little longer but she does it really well, and it's just as effective.

Aveline Mon 06-Mar-23 17:40:28

I don't know why I find having a scale and polish so uncomfortable but I do. At least my nice dentist does it. There used to be a horrible dental hygienist who kept making snide remarks about me to the nurse as she worked. I don't think anyone liked her and when the new dentist took over the practice she left.

sodapop Mon 06-Mar-23 17:35:44

I always have this problem at the dentist, think I produce a lot of saliva when I'm nervous. My French dentist doesn't have a nurse with him unless it's something major so I just have to wave my hands a lot to get him to stop. I'm sure he thinks it's a strange quirk of English people. smile

Fleurpepper Mon 06-Mar-23 17:29:32

Not something I have experienced, by hate that kind of pain. Always take 2 paracetamol 3 hours before, and another 2, 45 ins before.

LRavenscroft Mon 06-Mar-23 17:10:16

LRavenscroft

I went for a scale and polish at my dentists the other days and for the life of me I could not cope with the amount of water in my mother. The dental nurse was trying to vacuum up what she could but I was finding it hard to swallow any excess which I have always been able to do in past years. The dentist was very patient and stopped and started and worked as fast as he could but I am still surprised at myself for not managing this. I think it could be a sign of getting older (late 60s). What do other Gransnetters find?

*I could not cope with the amount of water in my mouth' NOT mother. Ooops! Silly me!

LRavenscroft Mon 06-Mar-23 17:08:30

I went for a scale and polish at my dentists the other days and for the life of me I could not cope with the amount of water in my mother. The dental nurse was trying to vacuum up what she could but I was finding it hard to swallow any excess which I have always been able to do in past years. The dentist was very patient and stopped and started and worked as fast as he could but I am still surprised at myself for not managing this. I think it could be a sign of getting older (late 60s). What do other Gransnetters find?