Gransnet forums

Health

All cancer is serious, but what is the outlook for cancer of the womb?

(80 Posts)
Unigran4 Mon 01-May-23 16:46:21

I have been bleeding since the end of January this year. I got a doctor's appointment immediately and have been sent for all the right investigations. I saw the consultant who told me I had cancer of the womb and that it was advanced.

Bloods and CT scan done, MRI next week. The bleeding is now very heavy and I am deadly tired.

Basically, what are my chances? I don't think I'll see next Christmas, but am I being too gloomy?

NotSpaghetti Thu 21-Dec-23 09:00:36

So pleased you are now "on the mend".

You obviously have a daughter who loves you and will be grateful to have you here at Christmas. I think that in spite of your relationship with your liquidiser you will have a pretty merry Christmas!

Wishing you a really positive 2024 - full of joy and laughter and with continuingly improving health.
flowers

westendgirl Thu 21-Dec-23 08:41:31

Wishing you a very Happy Christmas indeed.

Aveline Thu 21-Dec-23 08:28:16

So glad to hear your update. I hope you can enjoy at least some Christmas treats. Look forward to the summer when you'll be a smasher with great gnashers!

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 21-Dec-23 08:08:13

Oh Unigran what a year you have had; but you're here and I wish you a good Christmas and a much better year to come.

Doodledog Thu 21-Dec-23 08:01:24

Chin up, Unigran. And keep up the fighting spirit too.

Don’t forget to be kind to yourself as well though? Rest when you need to and don’t push yourself.

Have a fabulous Christmas!

HelterSkelter1 Thu 21-Dec-23 05:32:41

Bald and toothless.....but Still Here. And you didn't expect to see Christmas back in May.

Well done it's a hard journey. Recovery now. Spring time ahead. Give yourself a pat on the back and enjoy this Christmas it's a bonus!

Whiff Thu 21-Dec-23 05:13:28

Unigran when I read you first post all that time ago I felt an overwhelming sadness for you and your family.

But your latest one made me laugh. And your fighting spirit shines through. Have a wonderful Christmas and hope 2024 is a good year for you and you start to look and feel like a new version of yourself. 🎄🥳

nanna8 Thu 21-Dec-23 02:05:31

Have a wonderful Christmas Unigran and thanks for sharing your story- it will help others I am sure.

Summerfly Thu 21-Dec-23 00:30:21

You’re amazing Unigran. Finding your sense of humour through it all must help enormously. I think you’ll have a nice little pixie hairdo come spring. 🧑‍🦳
Have a lovely Christmas 🎄

SueDonim Wed 20-Dec-23 23:56:56

Unigran your sense of humour shines through your trials. smile I hope you enjoy Christmas, get the treatment done and dusted in the new year and can then look forward to spring and summer. Xx

Unigran4 Wed 20-Dec-23 23:15:00

Oh BlueBelle what a mess! I hope the damage was minimal!

Chemo no. 4 resulted in clots on both of my lungs, so no. 5 was delayed a fortnight. No. 5 safely delivered and it became evident that I needed some urgent dental work (a strict no-no whilst on chemo). But the pain was too much, so precautions were put in place - mainly to reduce the risk of infection because my immune system is down - and I had the last two teeth extracted from my top jaw.

So now, in my daughters' words, I am a yummy, gummy, Mummy.

Currently recovering from dental work and last chemo session delayed until 2nd January. I am bald, toothless, and walk with a stick, none of which are bad things, I hasten to add, but oh what a difference from when I wrote the original post!

I will stop boring you now, it's nearly bedtime and my new best friend, the liquidiser, is promising a soothing smoothie to take to bed before I set it to work tomorrow preparing lunch (it will be 3 months before I can have a plate fitted, maybe longer because I am a slow healer.).

I wish you all a Peaceful Christmas

BlueBelle Wed 22-Nov-23 16:42:00

Oh well done unigran it sounds much more hopeful than your first post
I also have an occasionally troublesome cistern and I pulled it during the night a month or so ago snuggled down in bed and only realised it the morning it had been ‘filling’ for four hours and was all over the floor and dripping through the light underneath by the time I found it
I make sure I listen for it finishing in the night before I go back to bed now

Patsy70 Wed 22-Nov-23 15:08:21

Sending all best wishes to you Unigran during your ongoing treatment and beyond. 💐💕

Doodledog Wed 22-Nov-23 15:06:58

Good to hear from you Unigran. I hope things continue to improve for you, and that you have a great Christmas. flowers

Aveline Wed 22-Nov-23 14:29:41

So glad to hear from you again. Your cheerful attitude will be a great advantage. Sometimes you've just got to laugh! Trickle away!!

Callistemon21 Wed 22-Nov-23 14:29:36

Unigran4

Thank you for the update. We're so glad to hear from you and that you have still retained your sense of humour 🙂

We have a toilet that plays up too and trickles when it shouldn't. The other day I was scrubbing around the inside rim with an old toothbrush, reached the inlet and suddenly it decided to flush all over my hand! Very strange.

Sending you best wishes for your remaining treatment and hope your hair grows back well.
flowers

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 22-Nov-23 14:19:29

I was so pleased to hear from you again. I’m so glad your treatment is almost finished. And I loved the ‘trickle’ story too! Sending you very best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery. 💐

Glorianny Wed 22-Nov-23 14:18:50

It's so great that you have kept your sense of humour Unigran. Stay positive. And all the best for the future.

crazyH Wed 22-Nov-23 14:10:17

Unigran - love your “trickle” story. 😂- get well soon …

Susie42 Wed 22-Nov-23 14:08:19

Good to hear you’ve had your op and hoping that the follow up treatment goes well for you. One thing that helped me was a session with the charity “Look Good Feel Better” a great morale booster. Ask your hospital if they hold sessions or the LGFB site will have details.

Aldom Wed 22-Nov-23 14:00:45

Unigran4 how lovely to hear from you. It's good to know that your surgery went as well as possible. You've certainly had some unpleasant times since haven't you. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts as your treatment continues. Hoping for the best for you. Do you have a nice wig to tide you over until your own hair regrows? All good wishes. flowers

Unigran4 Wed 22-Nov-23 13:54:26

You have all been so kind to me that I think it only fair that I should give you a (brief) update here.
I had a full hysterectomy in May, followed by 3 rounds of brachytherapy. I then started on 6 rounds of chemotherapy in August at 3-week intervals. I got to round 4 but then started developing breathing problems. After a spell in A&E I was diagnosed with clots on both lungs. 5th round of chemo was delayed by 2 weeks, and finally administered 2 days ago.

I won't go into detail about the side effects of chemo, we're all different and it affects us all differently. However, there is one side effect which is comical and frustrating at the same time. I receive the urge to urinate, but I have lost sensation "down there" so I cannot tell when I have finished! I sat for ages the other day, listening for the trickling to stop, then realised my cistern inlet valve was letting water by and I'd obviously stopped ages ago!

One more treatment to go and then the recovery begins. Hair not due to make an appearance before March/April. Wish me luck!

Ali23 Sat 10-Jun-23 08:02:05

Sending you 💐 as you recover from your surgery. Take it easy.

LRavenscroft Sat 10-Jun-23 07:37:47

Wishing you all the very best that things may go as you would wish and may good news lie ahead for you.

BeverleyJB Fri 09-Jun-23 20:37:57

Sorry to hear your news.
As others have said, cancer treatments have come on leaps and bounds so please try not to worry too much flowers.
I had to call MacMillan recently and can't fault their helpline. If you need any information - any kind - they have someone who can help. To be honest I found MacMillan much more informative & helpful than either the GP or the hospital.