Gransnet forums

Health

Alternative Therapies

(53 Posts)
overthehill Mon 01-May-23 19:32:21

How do you feel about alternative therapies?
I personally have an interest in all things alternative and are quite happy to try things providing they won't do harm if they don't do any good.
One of the most successful things we tried was on my husband's leg where a patch of psoriasis was getting bigger and bigger. I soaked a pad of cotton wool in apple cider vinegar and kept it on for one day, within about 3 weeks it had completely healed up.
Some time back I ricked my ankle which by the evening was absolutely killing me. After a sleepless might I massaged castor oil into 3 times that day and without a word of a lie, the next day the pain had completely gone.

halfpint1 Wed 03-May-23 14:12:23

I have used Homeopathy for over 30 years. I rarely visit a
Doctor and when I do its a Homeopathic one. It was a shame
that 'big pharma ' managed to noble Homeopathy in France
and its no longer re-imbursed but never mind for a few Euros
its still worth it.
Having watched my Mother deteriorate with Arthritus under
the NHS my belief in 'modern medecine' slipped even further.

Gundy Wed 03-May-23 17:12:19

Absolutely! Over time alternative practices have proven to be effective. And doubly effective when mixed with traditional medicine.

My niece (Nurse Practitioner) has opened a successful chain of clinics in a big city that mixes traditional medicine with alternative therapies - and people are going for that!

A big, BIG component of the practice is that each appt allows extra time for patients to just talk and ask more questions. People want that. It’s the fastest growing clinic chain in the city/region.
To Your Good Health!
USA Gundy

Ethelwashere1 Wed 03-May-23 17:40:24

I’m a trained complementary therapist, Reflexologist and Reiki healer. I love it. I would always advise anyone with a medical condition to see their GP first but most of my clients were seeking stress relief. These therapies are ancient wisdoms handed down over the years and must be used with discretion. I often do self reflexology on my hands, and as I don’t practice nowadays, I only do the occasional head massage on family or friends, I let my insurance lapse a few years ago so can’t practice commercially

choughdancer Wed 03-May-23 18:38:58

An ancestor of mine, John Hodgson Ramsbotham was quite a pioneer in homeopathy; he was a 'conventional' doctor before that.
www.sueyounghistories.com/2008-12-04-john-hodgson-ramsbotham-1809-1868/

Disgruntled Wed 03-May-23 18:43:25

Oh Choughdancer what a marvellous ancestor!

lizzypopbottle Wed 03-May-23 18:46:21

I think that mind over matter is a very powerful phenomenon. It can work for or against us, of course. I have a few instances to describe:

Many years ago, I had a persistent pain in my throat. I saw my GP, who examined me and he explained that what I described was a very common symptom of stress. He prescribed pain relief but the pain went away almost straight away without swallowing pills. I told myself if it was caused by stress (I was very newly married and a visit by my husband's parents to our new house was pending so, yes I was feeling stressed! 😂) then it was imaginary so I unimagined it!

Over the years I've been affected, occasionally, in various ways by physical symptoms caused by stress. As soon as I realise what's happening, the symptoms go away. Sometimes they are replaced by different symptoms!

Recently, I've had mysterious chest pains and, naturally, consulted my GP. He's been very thorough but has found no physical reason for my trouble. After the second GP visit, he remarked that I did seem very anxious (who wouldn't be?) but bells began to ring and the mystery pains have gone away.

So, mind over matter made me unwell but the same thing fixed me. Powerful stuff.

I acknowledge that mind over matter probably didn't cure the psoriasis that someone's husband had and, anyway, it doesn't really matter if the successful effect of an alternative therapy is real or imagined, if it works I won't knock it.

choughdancer Wed 03-May-23 18:52:17

Disgruntled

Oh Choughdancer what a marvellous ancestor!

He also married the eldest daughter of Rev. Samuel Redhead, who was briefly the curate of Haworth parish just before Patrick Bronte. His tenure was not without incident! www.annebronte.org/2017/11/26/how-the-bronte-family-came-to-haworth/

Sorry for not keeping to the main point of the thread!

annodomini Wed 03-May-23 19:19:33

Many years ago, when I'd been having a lot of back pain, an older friend, who said she had the gift of healing, offered to put her hands on my back. It's no exaggeration to say that from that day onward, that back problem never recurred.
Never dismiss a therapy you haven't tried.

AreWeThereYet Wed 03-May-23 19:49:29

A chiropractor asked me if I had injured my spine previously. I said no initially then remembered falling down a flight of stairs about 20+ years previously and bruising my coccyx. For years I'd been unable to sit down without pain, and still couldn't sit in one position for long. She told me I had bent my coccyx, not bruised it, which was why it was painful sitting down. Over the years my spine and hips had got misaligned slightly as I twisted around trying not to put pressure on my coccyx. Over a series of visits she straightened my coccyx and realigned my hips, getting rid of back pain I had stopped noticing it had been around so long.

A friend of mine has acupuncture every year to stop his hay fever.

Toula Wed 03-May-23 19:59:23

Believer. I am also going to try the ones posted here. Thank you.

effalump Wed 03-May-23 20:49:03

I'm all for anything like this but, I don't think people should be called 'healers'. I've been reading up on Quantum Touch which is very similar to Reiki. Anyone call learn it and you don't need to do a 'course' unless you want to. It is 'healing' but more of using your own electrical energy to facilitate/encourage/jumpstart either fyour own or another person's own electrical energy to get the body to heal itself. In that way, we are all 'healers'.

Tuskanini Wed 03-May-23 21:00:24

SquirrelSue

I was experiencing issues with my shoulders and visited a qualified and registered McTimoney Chiropractor. I was fully clothed during the whole treatment, except for shoes. She analysed my posture and then gently tapped various joints in my body. I was very sceptical and after I left the building, I walked up the road and felt like Mary Poppins! I had to look down at my feet as I honestly thought I was floating on air. This is also very good for dogs and horses too. If you are thinking of having any type of holistic therapy you must check they are qualified and registered.

Quacks set up 'professional organisations' too. I wouldn't be too impressed by a 'qualification' in homeopathy or ear-candling.

HiMay Wed 03-May-23 22:43:30

Acupuncture worked for me, along with Chinese herbs, administered by a well qualified and experienced Chinese doctor, trained in Beijing

Frogs Thu 04-May-23 08:56:27

lizzypopbottle

I think that mind over matter is a very powerful phenomenon. It can work for or against us, of course. I have a few instances to describe:

Many years ago, I had a persistent pain in my throat. I saw my GP, who examined me and he explained that what I described was a very common symptom of stress. He prescribed pain relief but the pain went away almost straight away without swallowing pills. I told myself if it was caused by stress (I was very newly married and a visit by my husband's parents to our new house was pending so, yes I was feeling stressed! 😂) then it was imaginary so I unimagined it!

Over the years I've been affected, occasionally, in various ways by physical symptoms caused by stress. As soon as I realise what's happening, the symptoms go away. Sometimes they are replaced by different symptoms!

Recently, I've had mysterious chest pains and, naturally, consulted my GP. He's been very thorough but has found no physical reason for my trouble. After the second GP visit, he remarked that I did seem very anxious (who wouldn't be?) but bells began to ring and the mystery pains have gone away.

So, mind over matter made me unwell but the same thing fixed me. Powerful stuff.

I acknowledge that mind over matter probably didn't cure the psoriasis that someone's husband had and, anyway, it doesn't really matter if the successful effect of an alternative therapy is real or imagined, if it works I won't knock it.

I quite agree with your posting Lizzie - the mind is very powerful. That’s really good that this knowledge was all that you needed for the feeling/or pain to go away 👍 😊.
I’d come to realise my chronic pain was ‘all in my mind’ but unfortunately this information on its own wasn’t enough to make my pain go away.
So if anyone, like me is struggling to ‘let go’ of the anxiety that chronic pain causes I’d highly recommend the book mentioned in my previous posting and do the ‘brain exercises’ 😆. It’s for all types of chronic pain not just the back.
I got the book free on audible trial from Amazon so no monetary outlay (but you have to remember to cancel your membership at the end of the month, although you get to keep any downloaded book).

silverlining48 Thu 04-May-23 09:24:20

I am agnostic but desperate so going to visit a health shop today to try and get help for gut problems. Have been told kefir and cider Apple vinegar might help. Also need something to supplement the dehydration following severe bouts of stomach upset.
Maybe someone who knows more than I do can advise.

maddyone Thu 04-May-23 11:12:00

Modern medicine has saved my life several times. The latest time when I had severe Covid during the pandemic before I was vaccinated. Then twenty years ago when I suffered from Clostridium Difficile very badly. I had an on the point of bursting appendix as a child and was operated on at midnight as an emergency. I had severe pneumonia as a baby and later as a child and treated in hospital both times.
I think I’ll stick with conventional medicines thank you.

montymops Thu 04-May-23 11:20:47

I am dangerously allergic ( nearly died of anaphylaxis) to anything with Daktarin in or Canesten - used for fungal infections. Therefore the only thing I can now rely on if it happens, is medicine from homeopathic shops - fantastic- they may take a bit longer to work- but for me it has been a life saver.

MerylStreep Thu 04-May-23 11:57:25

Silverling
Rice water is the best electrolyte you can take.

www.livestrong.com/article/501036-how-to-make-rice-water-for-diarrhea/

Many years ago I took Symprove for gut problems. It works.
But first check out that you don’t have diverticulitis. I have and that’s different to treat/ control.

TwiceAsNice Thu 04-May-23 14:11:30

Acupuncture was amazing it really helped both my mobility and pain issues from spinal stenosis. I’ve moved areas now so too far away but perhaps I should look for a local one. I got out of the habit as nothing was available due to Covid

Fleurpepper Thu 04-May-23 14:40:08

Some alternative therapies make total sense- like acupuncture and acupressure (which I have spent Covid years learning about. Some make no sense at all, and make me very angry actually. Lots of 'natural healers' use crystal therapy - in the name of Mother Earth- and have huge collections of huge crystals. They totally refuse to see that those Crystals are extracted by dynamite and other violent means, causing huge damage and pollution of pristine natural environments- abusing slave and child labour. Truly upsets me.

pascal30 Thu 04-May-23 16:58:27

I use acupuncture, shiatsu, Tuina and homeopathy but also value my lovely GP.. I think they all work well together.. but when I had Bells Palsy on my face the tabletsprescribed by my GP, which I took for a week didn't work, so I visited an acupuncturist and that same evening the Palsy lifted.. It was quite astonishing..

Caleo Thu 04-May-23 17:04:29

I am healthily sceptical and was so when an inexplicable event with one alternative therapist took place. I'll not tell what it was as the story should be in the ghost thread, although the event was not a ghost but otherwise decidedly paranormal.

Primrose53 Thu 04-May-23 17:12:32

Always have a session or two of acupuncture when I have the first twinge of sciatica and that sorts it.

Had a very painful knee a few years ago and was persuaded to go to a chiropractor. Cost me about £80 and he manipulated me, knocked my knee and ankle with a small hammer and told me I would need about 5 sessions to sort it out. He said he thought the pain was because of the way I walk and stand (never been told that before) and was mainly from my foot and ankle.

I wasn’t happy with his diagnosis as he can’t see what’s going on inside my leg. I saw GP who referred me for MRI and that revealed I had torn the meniscus in my knee quite badly and I could have surgery (50/50 success rate) or take it easy and it might heal itself. I declined the surgery as I was caring for my Mum and after about a year it did indeed sort itself out. So I would have completely wasted nearly £500 on visiting the chiropractor!

Lilyflower Sun 07-May-23 08:39:24

It's fine to choose therapies alternative to science based medicine for yourself - but not for children. Get them to the doc as fast as you can.

Fleurpepper Sun 07-May-23 08:50:59

Yes, agree. But there is nothing wrong with using acupressure, for instance, on top of Dr's treatment, as there are NO side effects at all, but can really help.