Gransnet forums

Health

Help! Need to find a rollator walker for Mum

(20 Posts)
teabagwoman Thu 01-Jun-23 08:17:08

Thank you for this thread SecondhandRose.

I’ve found it very helpful as my dd is taking me to buy one this afternoon on the recommendation of the physio. My only concern is how to alert people to my partial sight and hearing when Im not using my red and white stick. Im not sure that putting red and white tape on the rollator will have the same effect. Any suggestions?

NotSpaghetti Thu 01-Jun-23 07:59:06

What did you choose SecondhandRose

Glad you got advice and a "fitting".
I think it will make life so much easier for her.
My mother-in-law loves hers now after being hostile at first!

Nicholas12312 Wed 31-May-23 20:36:27

It sounds like you're doing some research on 4-wheel rollators for your mother, and I'd be happy to provide some recommendations. When considering a rollator with pneumatic tires, it can indeed make pushing it easier, especially over uneven surfaces or rough terrain. Here are a few features to look for in a rollator for your mother:

Pneumatic Tires: Look for a rollator with air-filled or pneumatic tires, as they provide better shock absorption and maneuverability, especially outdoors or on bumpy surfaces.

Seat with a Backrest: It's great that you're considering a rollator with a seat. Make sure it has a comfortable and sturdy seat with a supportive backrest, as this will allow your mother to rest whenever she needs to.

Storage Options: Check for rollators that have a storage pouch or basket where your mother can conveniently store her walking stick and a shopping bag. This will ensure she has easy access to her belongings while using the rollator.

Adjustable Height: Since your mother is 5ft 3" in height, make sure to choose a rollator with adjustable handles, allowing you to customize the height to her comfort level. This will ensure proper ergonomics and reduce strain while using the rollator.

Additionally, considering your mother's weight and height, you may want to look for rollators that are designed to accommodate petite individuals and have weight capacities suitable for her.

When purchasing a rollator, it's always a good idea to try it out in person if possible. This way, your mother can test its comfort and maneuverability firsthand. Alternatively, reading customer reviews and seeking recommendations from healthcare professionals or other users can also be helpful in making an informed decision.

Remember to consult with your mother's healthcare provider or a medical professional who can provide personalized advice based on her specific needs and mobility requirements. They may have specific recommendations or even prescribe a rollator based on her individual circumstances.

I hope this information helps you find a suitable rollator for your mother!

Fleurpepper Thu 11-May-23 18:23:21

You need proper advice- getting the wrong one, for her very own mobility and balance, etc- is very dangereous.

SecondhandRose Thu 11-May-23 17:33:10

Well the German one got refunded in the end so we went to a mobility shop and I am very glad we did. She was properly measured and bought the right sized rollator. It’s a funky purple too with a bag. She’s happy but wont admit it!

maddyone Wed 03-May-23 11:52:28

Sounds like it could be similar to the one we bought SHR. Mum loved it because it enabled her to do things for longer than she would have been able to otherwise. It was strong, stable, sturdy, had a seat and brakes and shopping bag. Also somewhere to put her walking stick. Ideal. The cheap ones are not so good. It was worth every penny. I hope your mum gets on with hers as well as my mum did. It will enrich her life.

I even took her to the cinema with it several times. She hadn’t been able to go to the cinema for years. I was able to put it in the car reasonably easily.

SecondhandRose Wed 03-May-23 11:44:49

Thank you so much everyone. I’ve ended up spending £250 on one with pneumatic tyres so she use it on grass, gravel etc. It’ll be a surprise for her as she doesn’t know about it but my brother and me think it will help a great deal although she wont admit it.

maddyone Wed 03-May-23 11:37:03

We bought from a specialty mobility aids shop. Just what she needed and she loved it. It gave the possibility to keep on going out. I’m used to take her to the supermarket and she could continue to do her own shopping using the walker. No need to go to the NHS for advice, there are plenty of things we should do and can do for ourselves. We just sold mum’s on eBay for £60 as we lost mum last year. It cost over £200.

Oldbat1 Wed 03-May-23 11:25:53

As others have said ask for an Occupational Therapist to assess. Good luck.

midgey Wed 03-May-23 11:03:20

Before you buy a new one try charity shops, they do often have them.

Fleur20 Wed 03-May-23 10:20:22

Speak to gp surgery... they should refer to occupational therapist who will assess, measure and (in Scotland at least) supply her with what she needs. Maybe some other aids too if assessed as requiring them?..
Definitely not an online purchase!

dogsmother Wed 03-May-23 09:56:33

Please try to get a bit of advice when selecting one. To use them without could also be unsafe if your mum is particularly wobbly.

FannyCornforth Wed 03-May-23 08:57:17

Here it is. It’s also available in pink and blue smile
Able Life Space Saver Walker, Lightweight Folding Mobility Frame with 2 Fixed Wheels, Elderly Walking Aid, Black Walnut (Eligible for VAT Relief in the UK) www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0026IBSUU?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_7VBSSB7MWE8GXRES97EP&tag=gransnetforum-21

FannyCornforth Wed 03-May-23 08:55:25

This one isn’t all singing and dancing, but I found it absolutely brilliant for around the house.
It’s very sturdy but lightweight and small (unlike me) and it folds up too.
I’ll have to come back with the link.

NanaDana Wed 03-May-23 08:23:43

Definitely don't buy on line. You should get her assessed by an Occupational Therapist, referred via her GP. She'll then not only get advice about what equipment is appropriate for her, but also be able to get a steer from a professional on where to obtain it.

Farzanah Tue 02-May-23 20:17:14

You can check out on line what’s available but I would agree not to buy without trying. Ableworld have many shops and knowledgeable staff and I have used them for my mother. Many walking aids are height adjustable. There may be a long wait for community OT assessment unfortunately.

Glorianny Tue 02-May-23 20:10:53

Definitely try don't buy on-line. She needs one which is the correct height. Google Local Disability equipment suppliers and find somewhere which stocks a range of them then take her to try them.

Farzanah Tue 02-May-23 20:03:07

“Ableworld” have quite a few shops and are very helpful and have a lot of mobility aids to see on line.

Charleygirl5 Tue 02-May-23 19:40:55

Have a look at soop's kitchen and find soop who has been in that position and has bought her second rollator. She should be able to tell you the pros and cons of what she has bought. I do know it was not cheap.

Your mother should be referred by her GP as a matter of urgency to be seen by an OT. She will have a better idea of what is on the market. I personally think it is "try before you buy" for safety.

SecondhandRose Tue 02-May-23 19:34:30

Oh my I have gone down a 4 wheel rollator rabbit hole online.

I am looking at the type with pneumatic tyres to make pushing it easier. Will also need a seat with a back and somewhere to store her stick and a shopping bag. Any recommendations would be fabulous please.

Mum is only 7 stone and 5ft 3”. She is currently relying on sticks but she is wobbly.