Gransnet forums

Health

Having a sensitive day or am I over reacting? - Sensible replies please.

(20 Posts)
Flakesdayout Fri 05-May-23 12:15:23

I'm having a sensitive day. My job is very stressful and long story short, I was signed off for four weeks with anxiety. Returned to work and have had a week of annual leave. It transpires that I am (without formal diagnosis) suffering with Health Anxiety, the result of Aplastic Anaemia and all its consequential worries, fears etc etc. My blood test results are now stable and I am still regularly checked and I am doing ok. After my wobble at work I was told to refer to Therapy for You. I am now in the process of having CBT to help me get back to normal. I have today been for a blood test where I have been attending for the past 3 and half years and where I feel safe. The nurses are great. When booking my next appointment the receptionist asked why I go there and not the Phlebotomy Centre or even the community blood bus as it is only for a blood test. I couldn't answer as I have never been told and this woman was quite dismissive. I now have to ask my Consultant and get back to the centre to book where I need to go for future tests. I walked away feeling quite upset and now feel a bit stupid for reacting this way. Am I just being oversensitive?.

LRavenscroft Fri 05-May-23 12:29:47

Sometimes when we are tired or anxious (believe me I get lots of days like that). comments from people can seem larger than life when in reality they have their mind on something else or perhaps being officious. Be kind to yourself, make a mental note of what to do next and enjoy the long weekend. I have divided the people I come across into 2 groups - the bossy and domineering who always have to control and the nice normal people. I do my best to side step the former and engage with the latter with a smile and thank you. Please don't be hard on yourself, you are human and we all react differently. Keep up with the CBT. I had some and it does serve me in darker hours. I also make a nice cup of tea and watch something funny on You Tube. All the best.

TwiceAsNice Fri 05-May-23 12:30:19

No I don’t think so . If you have anxiety it is very natural ( and normal) to want to go to places where you realise you feel safest. That is just a good coping strategy.

Don’t be bullied into going to another place if you don’t want to . I hope the CBT helps you. The MIND website also has very helpful information for anxiety.

The receptionist was a bit thoughtless and perhaps should think about how her comments might be taken if patients feel vulnerable. Good luck with the rest of your treatment

Baggs Fri 05-May-23 12:56:03

If you have been going to the same place for three and a half years and nobody but a receptionist has asked you why you don't go somewhere else, I think you should ignore her and carry on going where you feel safe and know the ropes.

You are allowed to be sensitive when you have anxiety related health issues. And dismissive receptionists need to be given more training in how not to be dismissive.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 05-May-23 13:05:48

You asked for sensible replies. Perhaps you meant sensitive. My sensible reply to your question is Yes, I think you are being over sensitive. If you never do anything but take the safe option you won’t get over the anxiety. It will continue to control you. You have to challenge yourself. Believe me, I know from personal experience but being signed off work or taking unscheduled annual leave was not a choice available to me. The more you run away from situations the more difficult life is to navigate. The more you take charge of your life the easier it is.

NotSpaghetti Fri 05-May-23 13:11:29

Baggs

If you have been going to the same place for three and a half years and nobody but a receptionist has asked you why you don't go somewhere else, I think you should ignore her and carry on going where you feel safe and know the ropes.

You are allowed to be sensitive when you have anxiety related health issues. And dismissive receptionists need to be given more training in how not to be dismissive.

I agree with this entirely.
I would tell anyone who asks that this has been arranged with your medical team. Leave it at that!

How rude!

nanna8 Fri 05-May-23 13:16:33

Some receptionists are like that and remember that it is her problem, not yours. There is one similar at my Doctor’s practice and I usually try to avoid her or paint a mental picture of a snapping fish which makes me smile ( that fixes ‘em !!) The medical professionals are the ones to listen to, not her.

NotSpaghetti Fri 05-May-23 13:17:53

If you really have to ask your consultant where you need to go for future tests I'd tell them that the receptionist wouldn't book you without their say-so. I'd specifically ask your consultant if you can please please please stay where you are. Tell them what you have told us and tell them why.
flowers
Good luck.

Septimia Fri 05-May-23 13:19:03

GSM might be right about challenging yourself so that you expand your ability to cope but choosing to do something yourself is different from being pushed into it by someone else. It's not surprising that you feel sensitive about what the receptionist said, so would I in the circumstances.

I hate going to places I haven't been before, especially for appointments and similar. I do lots of research on Google Maps and Streetview so that I know exactly where to go, what the place looks like, where the entrance is etc. I look at the website if there is one and even the staff photos if there are any. It gives me much more confidence because the place is familiar.

JenniferEccles Fri 05-May-23 13:21:24

It might help you if you could get to the bottom of why you wouldn’t feel safe at the other options suggested to you.
Is the Phlebotomy centre or the blood bus nearer to your home?
The receptionist probably thought she was being helpful by mentioning those other options.

Nannarose Fri 05-May-23 13:55:45

I too think that the receptionist may have been trying to be helpful and offer what seemed to be more convenient places to go.
I think that (depending on local arrangements) you may be able to get your GP's receptionists to sort this out. Do not be afraid to say "I'm afraid that I find this all a bit difficult / awkward so would like to continue at the Centre I'm familiar with".
You my find this helpful:
For some years I donated plasma every 2 weeks. When I first went, the nurse said "We'll give you a local anaesthetic" I said not to worry, I had no qualms about having blood taken. She said "We find that even the most stoic seem to get a bit wobbly when they have blood taken frequently, and find this helps".
Staff are normally very happy to work around your 'wobbles' if you tell them, and anyone with a chronic problem is likely to develop them.
And when you are on an even keel, give some thought to how, if need be, you might manage change. Good luck!

NanaDana Fri 05-May-23 14:44:37

In your shoes, I'd just ignore what that one receptionist said and continue to attend where you've felt comfortable for the past several years. If you're asked again, say it's because that's where you've been referred to, where you feel comfortanble, and that you're very happy with the service you've had over the long term. A little flattery often works wonders. Also, the receptionist may even have thought she was being helpful.

Shinamae Fri 05-May-23 14:50:43

I would have called the receptionist out on her rudeness…😐

Jaxjacky Fri 05-May-23 15:27:35

Baggs

I agrée Baggs.
GSM no one should be denied time off for a medical situation, I think that’s harsh of your employers.

62Granny Fri 05-May-23 15:29:32

I am sure if you had said , " I feel safe coming here and don't want to go anywhere else" she would have just booked you in, try it next time or phone them and say on the phone that you prefer going there they will book you in .

Marydoll Fri 05-May-23 15:31:44

Sometimes, when we are unwell and anxious, we may think people are being unhelpful or dismissive, when they are only trying to offer an alternative.

I speak from personal experience. blush

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 05-May-23 15:51:24

I was self employed Jax.

Flakesdayout Sat 06-May-23 11:45:58

Thank you for your replies. The Phlebotomy centre is in the same place - the Hospital. The centre that I go to is for Haematology and Oncology patients so that is why I feel safe as all are vulnerable and take care. The nurses complete my blood forms and know what they are doing, they then send the results to London and to me so I can pass them onto my Consultants secretary (as they often get lost in the system).

I was so gobsmacked I didnt think quick enough what to say at the time.

I think may be she was trying to be helpful, albeit inconsiderate. I have a Consultant appointment next week so will explain to him and then go and book my next blood test.

Thank you all again.

LondonMzFitz Sat 06-May-23 12:09:08

I agree with others; speaking for myself, when I am feeling vulnerable a word spoken by others, or a look, can make me question and overthink everything! Nobody knows what others are going through, and the phrase "Be Kind To Yourself" is so important.

Not everyone experiences anxiety to the same degree.
Not everyone is up to challenges when facing adversity.

Wyllow3 Tue 09-May-23 14:45:27

Flakesdayout its brilliant you happen to have an appointment to see the Consultant next week. Explain your extreme anxiety/you are getting MH treatment and please can you continue where you are.

I would be equally thrown - tho I might just have had the oomph because I know my difficulties all to well to say something at the time and cite my MH issues to stay.
That option is still open of course - go and present yourself in person and explain same.

I agree challenges can make you stronger - but its the right challenge at the right time.

We are all very very different, some people would just switch, and others lie awake over it.