Gransnet forums

Health

Athletes Foot

(12 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 08-May-23 09:09:37

DGS has it. We've been treating it for a week (over the counter stuff) but it's getting worse and has spread to his other foot. It's like getting blood from a stone, getting a doctors appointment here, so I wondered what Gransnet think is the best over the counter treatment for him?

Hetty58 Mon 08-May-23 09:14:07

Vicks vapour rub, applied daily, after washing and thorough drying (using a hairdryer if necessary).

ParlorGames Mon 08-May-23 09:14:17

I get Athletes Foot quite often and I use Daktacort cream as recommended by the pharmacist.

Hetty58 Mon 08-May-23 09:19:30

ParlorGames, is that OK for children?

Hetty58 Mon 08-May-23 09:23:36

(and, just remembered) my daughter was allergic to (I think, Daktarin) a 'cure' - all her skin was peeling off!

Baggs Mon 08-May-23 09:24:01

I find Canesten (even out of date Canesten) more effective than Daktarin.

I also find that I'm more likely to suffer athlete's foot in summer when I'm not wearing socks. Socks act as wicks to keep between toe areas dryer. Summer is too cool and soggy in Argyll to wear sandals much anyway so I have less trouble with AF up here than I did in Oxfordshire.

Because of this I totally get the socks and sandals meme that apparently shocks so many people 😂

V3ra Mon 08-May-23 09:28:53

Canesten is the cream I use.
Your poor little grandson has my sympathy, it can be very itchy!

Cfaz49 Mon 08-May-23 09:30:27

1. Lavender oil. You can use this oil straight onto the skin. Unlike a lot of other essential oils.
2. Foot bath with some white vinegar in it. The fungus doesn’t like the acidity.

FionaG Mon 08-May-23 09:32:41

Lamisil Once from Chemist or Amazon, I suffered all my life until I found this. Plus usual wash feet twice daily, dry well, walk barefoot etc.
in emergency daktacot or canestan works too!

V3ra Mon 08-May-23 10:06:59

Have you tried emailing a photo of your grandson's feet to the surgery?
That might prompt an appointment or a prescription.
(It worked for me when I had a bad eczema flare-up).

TerriBull Mon 08-May-23 10:21:21

Daktarin worked for me on a couple of occasions, but we all react differently so not for everybody it seems.

When I think back to when children were at home, atheletes foot would crop up from time to time. Think we went to the doctor with it, and seem to remember that wasn't a lot of help, don't think anything was prescribed, the suggestion was, we try over the counter stuff, but my memory is a bit vague.

Hope it clears up for him GagaJo he's still quite small , so you can reinforce all that dry between toes properly and get him to change his socks daily and keep his feet clean, which will probably fall on deaf ears once he becomes a sweaty teen!

GagaJo Fri 19-May-23 18:27:24

FionaG

Lamisil Once from Chemist or Amazon, I suffered all my life until I found this. Plus usual wash feet twice daily, dry well, walk barefoot etc.
in emergency daktacot or canestan works too!

Thought I'd come back to say, Lamisil Once got rid of it! He'd been treated for 2 weeks with other brands, none of which worked. But this did.

So thank you Fiona!