Gransnet forums

Health

Red toes at night not a delight

(11 Posts)
Quokka Sun 28-May-23 22:36:49

Farmor15

You mentioned it started during Covid lockdown - did you get Covid? Even if you didn't have typical symptoms, it seems some people's only symptom was "Covid toes". This was the first article that came up when I googled:

www.aad.org/public/diseases/coronavirus/covid-toes

Of course your toe problem may be something else, so of course seek medical advice.

That was a very interesting link. Thank you

Quokka Sun 28-May-23 22:34:38

Thanks everyone. As AI is so much in the news I asked it the same question and this is what it came up with…

It's possible that you're experiencing a condition called Raynaud's phenomenon or Raynaud's disease. Raynaud's phenomenon is a disorder that affects blood vessels in the extremities, particularly the fingers and toes. It causes the blood vessels to narrow, which restricts blood flow and leads to changes in skin color.

In Raynaud's phenomenon, the fingers and toes may turn white, then blue, and finally red when the blood flow returns. Exposure to cold temperatures or emotional stress can trigger these episodes. In your case, it seems that your toes are reacting to temperature changes by becoming red or purplish.

While Raynaud's phenomenon can occur on its own, it can also be associated with other underlying health conditions such as autoimmune disorders, connective tissue diseases, or nerve disorders. If you haven't done so already, it would be a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional, such as a primary care physician or a rheumatologist, for a proper evaluation and diagnosis.

Quokka Sun 28-May-23 22:30:07

Oopsadaisy1

Hot, red feet can be a sign of Diabetes.

Definitely not diabetic

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 28-May-23 16:46:34

Hot, red feet can be a sign of Diabetes.

Hetty58 Sun 28-May-23 11:02:15

Hot and red indicates inflammation. When I had my first Covid jab, the only side effect was painful feet. I thought it was just me, until asked the next time and yes, others had it too - very odd.

Callistemon21 Sun 28-May-23 10:51:41

I got "Covid hands" but it was more like small patches that became quite painful, then hot and red, then they looked like tiny bruises, as if small blood vessels were swelling then leaking.

But yes, call the GP/nurse/pharmacist/minor injuries etc.

My big toe often looks white.
Does anyone have any advice please?

Farmor15 Sun 28-May-23 10:45:14

You mentioned it started during Covid lockdown - did you get Covid? Even if you didn't have typical symptoms, it seems some people's only symptom was "Covid toes". This was the first article that came up when I googled:

www.aad.org/public/diseases/coronavirus/covid-toes

Of course your toe problem may be something else, so of course seek medical advice.

BlueBelle Sun 28-May-23 08:58:16

WWM how funny
Check with a nurse doctor pharmacist for advise

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 28-May-23 08:37:09

I think after WW2s experience I would advise you call your GP after the holiday, just in case it’s a sign of another problem.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-May-23 07:18:36

Toes😮😮😮.

I shall give no advise except to say beware advise😄😄😄

Quokka Sun 28-May-23 07:05:15

When I get up in the night I notice the toes on my feet are hot and red. Not itchy. Not chilblains.
If my feet get cold they go purplish. .

Yesterday in the garden, shoeless and sitting in my lounger I noticed they were bright red again.

I’m thinking that my toes, especially on the left foot, are overreacting to temperature. This started during the Covid lockdown and seems to be getting worse.

Should I be worried? I keep thinking of the Edward Lear poem The Pobble Who Had No Toes and wondering……