Gransnet forums

Health

Eating Nuts

(10 Posts)
MamGu12 Mon 11-Sep-23 12:35:26

It’s recommended we eat a handful of nuts as a health benefit for a snack but I just hate the texture in my mouth , can anyone suggest an alternative with the same benefits for an evening snack .
Thanks

Whiff Mon 11-Sep-23 12:59:04

If you hate the texture of nuts why eat them . There are plenty of other foods you can eat as a healthy snack. Plus nuts are very high in fat and calories. Also high in potassium that's why I cut them out of my diet over 10 years ago. Had problems with my blood and potassium levels.

Also if you listen and did what everyone says you should or shouldn't eat. One month it can be coffee is good for you next month it's bad,red wine is good then bad,dark chocolate good then bad etc. I think it's a marketing ploy to get people to buy their products.

wildswan16 Mon 11-Sep-23 13:16:05

I just don't like nuts, apart from salted peanuts! But I do like to get them into my diet so I grind them up in the coffee grinder and sprinkle them on my yogurt or porridge.

Caravansera Mon 11-Sep-23 13:19:12

Nut butter?

I read about the diet of top tennis player Novak Djokovic. He has cashew and cashew butter in his diet. Example of snacks from his diet: apple with cashew butter and melon, cashew butter and banana.

Meridian brand is 95% cashew nuts and 5% sunflower oil. They also make peanut and almond butters.

MiniMoon Mon 11-Sep-23 13:21:52

I eat one Brazil nut per day. They are a good source of selenium.

MayBee70 Mon 11-Sep-23 13:23:20

I add them to smoothies. I think they help prevent sugar spikes : I read years ago how good they were for you so started adding them to my diet.

Juliet27 Mon 11-Sep-23 13:23:29

wildswan16

I just don't like nuts, apart from salted peanuts! But I do like to get them into my diet so I grind them up in the coffee grinder and sprinkle them on my yogurt or porridge.

I do the same with almonds.

MamGu12 Mon 11-Sep-23 13:46:38

Thank you all some good ideas of how to include them .

Rachel75 Mon 11-Sep-23 13:51:04

I’m not keen on them whole, so often blitz them a bit and add to muesli, crumbles, pasta bakes, stuffed peppers, etc etc

vegansrock Mon 11-Sep-23 13:59:22

I don’t like whole nuts- too worried about my dental work- I buy a bag of unsalted peanuts and a bag of almonds or walnuts and grind them up in my mini chopper. I then use to sprinkle on porridge / non dairy yoghurt/ ice cream or stewed fruit. Nut butters are tasty too and Alpro hazelnut milk is a delicious chilled drink.