Gransnet forums

Health

DENTAL TREATMENT ON BENEFITS

(16 Posts)
FindingNemo15 Tue 02-Apr-24 19:02:48

This morning I was talking to a friend and it turned out we go to the same dentist who is going totally private in July.

She qualifies for free dental treatment as she is on various benefits so said it will not affect her.

I wondered if she is right. Can she still attend a private dentist and get her treatment free?

LOUISA1523 Tue 02-Apr-24 20:45:30

Very much doubt it... when this happens , you either go private or taken off the books .....the only time I've known private dentists to see nhs patients is if its a child ( 0 to 16 years) and one or both parents are registered as private patients.....think your friend is getting mixed up

MissAdventure Tue 02-Apr-24 20:50:16

No, if you can't pay, you don't have dental treatment.

kittylester Tue 02-Apr-24 21:03:40

It will depend whether the dentist still has an nhs contract - which sounds unlikely. So, it will affect her.

Oldbat1 Tue 02-Apr-24 21:17:44

Very very doubtful. We were nhs but dentist became private. No nhs work undertaken at all - children included. No nhs dentists in our local area at all now.

lemsip Tue 02-Apr-24 21:17:49

I believe the dentist will retain his current NHS patients but will only now have a private business.. so no more NHS.

petra Tue 02-Apr-24 22:43:16

My last Dentist went private but didn’t take on new nhs patients, but my new dentist is both private and taking on new nhs patients.

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Apr-24 23:26:24

petra

My last Dentist went private but didn’t take on new nhs patients, but my new dentist is both private and taking on new nhs patients.

My family go to an NHS dentist who also does private work.
The NHS waiting list was very long, but of course she could see them quickly if they paid privately, including paying for a child to have treatment.

Grannytomany Wed 03-Apr-24 05:37:36

No, of course you can’t get free private dental work because you’re on benefits.
Only free NHS dental work (if you’re lucky enough to have a NHS dentist of course).

I love these ‘asking for a friend’ questions.

Franbern Wed 03-Apr-24 08:45:10

My NHS dentist has decided to go private. Last dentist in Weston-super-Mare that had NHS contract.
I am on 'benefits' (Pension Credit).
However, makes no difference if I do not pay, I can get no dental care now.

Oldnproud Wed 03-Apr-24 08:57:59

The dentist I go to is mainly private, but will take on NHS patients who are entitled to free dental treatment. Those who don't get free treatment have to either pay for private treatment or go elsewhere.

1summer Wed 03-Apr-24 09:09:17

My dentist is now a private dentist and from what I understand has closed the books to new NHS patients. But is still continuing to treat all the NHS patients who are with them. But I was told recently that checkups will only be once a year (although the receptionist made mine in 9 months).

DianneAngel Wed 03-Apr-24 12:00:54

I'm on benefits and there isn't any dentist in my town who treats NHS patients. hugs

FindingNemo15 Wed 03-Apr-24 12:34:18

Grannytomany. Maybe you should read my OP. Where did I mention getting free private dental treatment?

And yes I am asking for a friend as she is not on the internet.

Jaberwok Fri 05-Apr-24 15:58:36

Your friend would have to check with the Dental Practice to find out what the position is. Our Practice became Private about 18 months ago with no NHS at all. Those, like us either have to pay or find another Dental Practice.

FindingNemo15 Fri 05-Apr-24 16:31:45

Thank you. I will pass on all these comments to my friend.