I've got a 'keen'. It's incredibly painful if I knock it. I've got Germolene New Skin on it which will help it to heal. It doesn't look like much on the photo but it hurts like billy-oh.
It's a nasty deep crack at the end of my thumb, right at the corner where the nail grows free, if that makes sense? Here in the North East we call it a 'keen'. What do you call them where you are?
I've got one at the moment on my thumb and I bought silicone finger protectors, they are good if you put a but of moisturiser on and then pop one on, there are loads on Amazon.
I would call them hacks (Irish) and I think that’s what they’re called here in the north east of Scotland. I haven’t had any for ages (tempting fate) but lots of good advice on here.
I still have a few precious tubes (near empty) of Germolene Ointment which is no longer made. The key bit is ointment rather than water based 'cream'. Elastoplast do similar one now and there is Neosporin. I would slather it on and then keep a bandage on it for day or so.
In addition to other recommendations when I've put treatment and plasters on mine I also use Finger Cots. Also called Finger Covers. They help as they keep any cream/plaster in place.
My Mum used to call any cut or infection on the fingertips ‘Whitlows’. I’ve just looked it up but these are caused by the herpes virus. You can get them if touch cold sores. I always thought my Mum was right!!😂 Like Elless I use silicon gel protectors but as I am big boned I use toe protectors they seem to be thicker. They are on Amazon. You can get big toe or little toe protectors.
I have always called them hacks, and the best thing to get them to close up is a liberal application of unsalted pork fat, with or without a plaster over it.
I get these from time to time and didn't know they had a specific name! I generally use any hand cream and if necessary, a plaster. I also have weak, splitting nails at the moment, like lizzy, but don't know if there is a link.
My Mum used to call any cut or infection on the fingertips ‘Whitlows’. I’ve just looked it up but these are caused by the herpes virus. You can get them if touch cold sores. I always thought my Mum was right!!😂 Like Elless I use silicon gel protectors but as I am big boned I use toe protectors they seem to be thicker. They are on Amazon. You can get big toe or little toe protectors.
I thought they were whitlows and was going to post that but thought I'd better check first and no, they're not.
I would recommend Lotil cream. Our local pharmacy and small Boots have stopped stocking it but you can get it on Amazon. Worth keeping a tube handy for splits and cuts.
Udder cream SueDonim? That made me laugh! 😂😂😂 I might call the vet and enquire about that. My feet could do with some attention too! 😂😂😂
Dh is on chemo which causes awful skin lesions on hands and feet snd torso. He was given a large tub by the oncology unit of “udderly smooth” it is a moisturising cream. It says originally developed for use by dairy farmers!!! You can buy on A****n.
Try a FireSnow stick, available from chemists. I regularly get a spilt in my thumb from gardening in the winter and if I apply this stick of solid white before I go to bed it has amazing healed by the morning.