Oddly, I think the GPs themselves are far more respectful and helpful than they were, say, 40 years ago when they were often very rude, patronising and dismissive. They do listen and really try to help these days, whereas I didn't have that experience so often when I was younger. It may be because there are more female GPs or just better training. Trying to see the same one when there's a continuing issue or something that needs to be followed up isn't so easy, well, actually it's impossible, but at least I no longer dread having to make a appointment. If I phone in and there's a long queue, they now have a system where they ring back, which helps, although I prefer not to have to describe the reason I'm booking the appointment over the phone first, but even that's better than it used to be as our receptionists are overall really lovely. Getting a telephone appointment with the GP usually works well but they don't give a choice of the timing, so it wasn't so good on the occasion they phoned when I was in a hospital waiting room with a sick relative in a wheelchair and then having to describe an urgent intimate problem with my lady-garden in front of an audience. Anyway, I feel that they are harder to access than they used to be but generally better than they were once you can get to see one.