My dear cousin Transition from male to Female around 15 years ago.
I was exceptionally close to him, he was even my Sons Godfather.
I knew his secret, as he told me years before when we were in our early 20's he felt he was in the wrong body.
I didn't know how to feel after he told me , but he was my dear friend and cousin I supported him and kept his secret.
Jump forward many years after, after a lot of counselling, and surgery some of which he paid for, he became She. Luckily his parents and sister's family took time but accepted the change, I was the only other family member to know.
Everything had to change, from passport, NI Birth certificate it was all official.
She was a kind gentle soul, we would do Lunch, people assumed she was my sister.
Unfortunately, 4 years ago she became very ill and passed away at 69 years old but her dream was fulfilled.
She had loads of friends with folk who cared for her, no sigma.
Love and support they are still the same inside, well that was my personal experience, do miss her.