Gransnet forums

Health

What's one health habit you've started that's actually made a difference?

(114 Posts)
za34 Thu 23-Jul-26 20:52:19

Hi everyone,
As I've got older, I've realised it's often the little changes that make the biggest difference rather than trying to overhaul everything at once.
Whether it's walking every day, improving your sleep, drinking more water, stretching, or something completely different, I'd love to hear what's had the biggest positive impact on your health.
Always looking for new ideas!

MayBee70 Sun 26-Jul-26 01:13:28

Skyblue2

For the last 18 months I have gone for a brisk walk first thing before breakfast which has made a big difference. Cut out most bread and processed foods. I have lost any desire for sugary foods and drinks. Started intermittent fasting and feel really well these days! ( being retired now has also helped greatly!)

You’re supposed to go and stand outside for fifteen minutes first thing in the morning after drinking a glass of water. Circadian rhythm’s or something. I have to get up at seven to let the dog out but I’m afraid that, once I’ve given her her breakfast I go back to bed..I thought I’d cheat and get a light box .

MayBee70 Sun 26-Jul-26 01:09:30

Duvetdiva

Primrose53

I was so fed up with getting out of bed every night several times to wee. Had various pills from GP but not much good. Ran out last week but took 2 paracetamol at bedtime and I sleep right through now!

Yes Primrose - but do you wake up to a wet bed? 🤣

That cracked me up grin! I was just about to see if it works, too…

suelld Sun 26-Jul-26 00:54:45

Cabbie21

I thought summer would be a good time to cut back on carbs and hope to lose some weight. I eat lots of salads and fruit but I get the runs. I can’t win.

Ditto… given up trying!

FranP Sat 25-Jul-26 23:53:28

Karen22

Ive been taking Nutrition Geeks Glycinate (magnesium) before bed and now im sleeping so much better

I had not realised what was improving my sleep, now I know

Shinamae Sat 25-Jul-26 23:05:07

Sueinkent

Buteyko breathing.

Do what?

Sueinkent Sat 25-Jul-26 22:36:02

Buteyko breathing.

ufix1 Sat 25-Jul-26 20:09:00

Apart from cutting out refined sugar and sticking to cooking from scratch and homemade bread or Sourdough, I've started taking Turmeric tablets from H&Barrett with black pepper and all the aches in my knees have completely gone! Try them!!

Granma1 Sat 25-Jul-26 20:00:15

Aqua fit every week and I wear a ring that helps with sleep and fitness. It also tells me to get up and move if I have been sitting too long. Just need to improve my diet.

Primrose53 Sat 25-Jul-26 19:40:47

Duvetdiva

Primrose53

I was so fed up with getting out of bed every night several times to wee. Had various pills from GP but not much good. Ran out last week but took 2 paracetamol at bedtime and I sleep right through now!

Yes Primrose - but do you wake up to a wet bed? 🤣

Ha ha, no. I sleep like a log too.

Duvetdiva Sat 25-Jul-26 19:39:14

Primrose53

I was so fed up with getting out of bed every night several times to wee. Had various pills from GP but not much good. Ran out last week but took 2 paracetamol at bedtime and I sleep right through now!

Yes Primrose - but do you wake up to a wet bed? 🤣

Skyblue2 Sat 25-Jul-26 19:17:05

For the last 18 months I have gone for a brisk walk first thing before breakfast which has made a big difference. Cut out most bread and processed foods. I have lost any desire for sugary foods and drinks. Started intermittent fasting and feel really well these days! ( being retired now has also helped greatly!)

Gwyllt Sat 25-Jul-26 19:06:35

Cabbie 21 Do you think you tried to change your diet too quickly. As an ex dietitian gradual changes are often more successful

dlizi4 Sat 25-Jul-26 19:03:39

When I cut out seed oils and processed food it took only a week or so to realise I no longer had pain in my joints
Now I eat meat, eggs, fish and cheese and cream in many variations and my hair is thicker, nails grow faster and I don't feel bloaty. I had a ribeye steak with lots of butter around 12 today and probably wont eat until tomorrow as I am full
(My brain is slightly annoyed at this as I wanted to have chilli and cheese with soured cream tonight but it can be breakfast!)

MT62 Sat 25-Jul-26 18:47:48

Giving up drink in my 40s, although I do have occasional drink on holiday without any problem, I’d just rather not drink.

crazyH Sat 25-Jul-26 18:39:27

It’s too soon to conclude, but for the past couple of nights I haven’t had my usual cup of coffee. I have found I fall asleep faster. They say a hot drink helps you sleep. I mistakenly or rather foolishly thought, it included hot coffee 😂

Eskay10 Sat 25-Jul-26 18:25:47

Gym and swim twice a week. Bridge once or twice a week. That’s all I have, or want to have time for.

Romola Sat 25-Jul-26 18:09:20

1. Muesli for breakfast after bowel cancer.
2. Read a book every month. No trashy crime or romantic novels. Some fiction, some non-ficton.

Labradora Sat 25-Jul-26 17:52:09

I do sit to stand and also walk daily if I can (but I have always done that).
A game changer has been balancing at count of 40 on each leg before I shower.
On a recent visit to UK using a lot of escalators and London Tube I was astonished at my confidence jumping on and off trains and escalators. I was doing this into my 60s but after my retirement I seemed to become quite tentative.
Re diet I vary between trying to control what I eat and wondering whether it is worth it because at 73 the time left to me to eat chocolate has got to be limited simply because of the numbers.................

Erica23 Sat 25-Jul-26 17:36:03

Primrose53

I was so fed up with getting out of bed every night several times to wee. Had various pills from GP but not much good. Ran out last week but took 2 paracetamol at bedtime and I sleep right through now!

I’ve read that paracetamol has an antihistamine effect that’s how it can make you tired, also antihistamines dry everything up including your bladder. I have a friend that takes an antihistamine to avoid night time trips to the loo.

Shinamae Sat 25-Jul-26 17:34:47

I have paused my exercise regime during this hot weather going to work three times a week is enough exercise for me 🥵
But usually every other day I do 100 kettlebell swings and some deadlifts, I also do sit to stand and heel raises which are apparently very good and help the heart, I also do some tai chi.there are so many exercise videos on YouTube all for free..

Esmay Sat 25-Jul-26 17:07:06

Baby steps and not the draconian regimes that I used to go on ..
No wonder eventually they'd fall by the wayside..
I'm eating more vegetables and drinking more water.
I'm going for a walk every day .

Primrose53 Sat 25-Jul-26 16:33:54

cc

Primrose53

I was so fed up with getting out of bed every night several times to wee. Had various pills from GP but not much good. Ran out last week but took 2 paracetamol at bedtime and I sleep right through now!

I have the same problem Primrose53, it drives me mad, 3am every night and often again.

Try it and see what happens. I don’t wake up now until about 8 am.

cc Sat 25-Jul-26 16:29:11

Primrose53

I was so fed up with getting out of bed every night several times to wee. Had various pills from GP but not much good. Ran out last week but took 2 paracetamol at bedtime and I sleep right through now!

I have the same problem Primrose53, it drives me mad, 3am every night and often again.

Primrose53 Sat 25-Jul-26 16:27:38

I was so fed up with getting out of bed every night several times to wee. Had various pills from GP but not much good. Ran out last week but took 2 paracetamol at bedtime and I sleep right through now!

cc Sat 25-Jul-26 16:20:02

(Apologies for any typos, I can't seem to edit posts today).