Gransnet forums

Health

What's one health habit you've started that's actually made a difference?

(114 Posts)
za34 Thu 23-Jul-26 20:52:19

Hi everyone,
As I've got older, I've realised it's often the little changes that make the biggest difference rather than trying to overhaul everything at once.
Whether it's walking every day, improving your sleep, drinking more water, stretching, or something completely different, I'd love to hear what's had the biggest positive impact on your health.
Always looking for new ideas!

cc Sat 25-Jul-26 16:16:49

I've been going to the gym three days a week for around a year and feel much better for it. I've found that I can't do more days than this as I'm just too tired so it's counter productive. The gym is just a short bus ride away and the monthly sub is not too expensive.
Also I've been dieting for three months or so, I've not lost much weight yet (just over a stone so far) but people have noticed I look trimmer - though I suspect this is more due to the gym than the diet!
I used to have painful joints and lower back at night and some days had trouble climing stairs, but I'm looking forward to having my annual check-up to see how my blood tests and blood pressure have improved.

NanRuby Sat 25-Jul-26 16:05:40

I cut out fats and sugars and my bp went down as did my cholesterol. I also dropped a dress size. However I still crave naughty foods.

SunnySusie Sat 25-Jul-26 15:58:28

I love pre-meal nibbles whilst cooking. I was eating crisps, switched to celery sticks and carrots with a very small amount of hummus. It helps even out the blood sugar so you dont get a big spike. If you start with carbs the spike is much larger and takes longer to go away - bad for inflammation and blood sugar control in general. The celery stick/carrot/hummus combo is also good for a between meal snack and M&S do a pre-prepared version in a little pot if you are out and about. Same principle with meals. Eat the protein or veg/salad first and then the carbs.

Applegran Sat 25-Jul-26 15:46:24

Daily exercises and 16 : fasting. I think i need to cut our refined ca rbs.....

narrowboatnan Sat 25-Jul-26 15:45:55

I changed to lactose free products. Huge difference. IBS flare ups practically ceased.

justanovice Sat 25-Jul-26 15:09:44

I started doing a strength class a couple of years ago and it's really made a difference. I now have biceps😁

albertina Sat 25-Jul-26 14:59:31

I have kept moving. I broke a vertebra and recovery was long and painful. The one thing that was emphasised by medical folk was to keep moving no matter what.
That was 9 years ago and I am still moving every day. My dog helps.

Neilspurgeon0 Sat 25-Jul-26 14:45:02

Started a one or two mile speedy walk before I eat anything, first thing after awakening. This was suggested by the exercise tutor at my wife’s pre-diabetes class run by the NHS. The latest version of my iPhone Fitness App allows an ‘outdoor walk’ to run in the background which tells me my speed, distance etc and the height I have climbed - my route includes a steepish hill at the end so I get slightly breathless which is really good for cardio and over either route I climb 100 feet in 20 or 40 minutes. I have improved from a 20 minute mile to a just over 16 minute mile since March and doubled my distance without any harm. The NHS Active ten app also encourages moving more and records the number of ‘brisk ten minute’ walks I do in the course of a day - now about 6-10.

Polwal Sat 25-Jul-26 14:24:07

Me too

Jess20 Sat 25-Jul-26 14:23:18

I use interdental brushes, different sizes, between my teeth. Advised by the dentist and it certainly has improved my gums. I think bad oral health can contribute to heart disease and other systemic illnesses so it's hopefully worth the cost and effort.

Connie16 Sat 25-Jul-26 14:21:00

Walking 3 miles a day at a brisk pace has had a magical effect on my weight and shape.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sat 25-Jul-26 14:03:55

Going to the gym 5 days a week, 9 classes, weught/resistance training, circuits, zumba, pilates, tai chi., stretch and core classes. All have helped with fitness, posture, 'creaky' bits and stiffness.

Side benefits are a very busy social life, and hoping all the thinking and coordination, esp with the zumba, are helping my brain.

Also very rarely eat bread nowadays, eat lots of 0 fat Greek yoghurt and honey with various 'seedy' additions. My nails are rewarding me now by needing to be cut because they're tooling, rather than because they're brittle and breaking!

Cath9 Sat 25-Jul-26 14:01:27

Many years ago, when the kids were still with us I watched a doctor on tv recommend taking a daily Zinc tablet to prevent getting colds.
Although I don’t take them regularly I do take one as soon as I feel a cold is starting which always seems to stop the cold from getting worse.

sewandsew7 Sat 25-Jul-26 14:01:10

Yoga by the way

sewandsew7 Sat 25-Jul-26 14:00:44

Stretching exercises following a YouTube video designed for over 50s. I feel very different if I lapse

Happygirl79 Sat 25-Jul-26 13:50:11

Eating for nutrition and not calories.

Karen22 Sat 25-Jul-26 13:45:44

Ive been taking Nutrition Geeks Glycinate (magnesium) before bed and now im sleeping so much better

Mmc123uk Sat 25-Jul-26 13:43:29

Anti inflammatory diet (no white carbs or sadly nightshade veg - which were my favs 😌) and drinking more water with electrolytes .. its made such a difference to my arthritic pain & my energy levels !

nanna8 Fri 24-Jul-26 13:18:58

Only use olive oil to cook with, eat olives and use olive spread on bread. Blood pressure much lower, no need for pills . I thought it was just chance but they have actually researched and found that olive oil is beneficial.

JamesandJon33 Fri 24-Jul-26 13:14:44

16-8 fast

Chocolatelovinggran Fri 24-Jul-26 12:52:22

Georgesgran, I admire your self restraint, but I have no self control regarding wine gums.

Georgesgran Fri 24-Jul-26 11:57:47

Keeping to just the one Caramel Wafer at a time - yes, seriously!

Allsorts Fri 24-Jul-26 11:41:54

No sugar, walking each day when possible.

SpinDriftCoastal Fri 24-Jul-26 11:34:37

Drinking 2 litres of water a day and raising that to 2.5 litres if it is very hot. I feel quite ill if I do not get my daily water fix.

shysal Fri 24-Jul-26 11:11:52

Most days I do 3 sets of 12 strengthening exercises including squats, biceps and triceps curls with dumbbells, wall press ups and sitting abs.
I have walked every day for most of my adult life, so not a recent thing, but I stopped classes during Covid and nothing suitable is available now.
I no longer have OA pain in my knees, but I don't know whether that is due to squats or RA biologics.

On TV yesterday it was recommended that everyone should do 10 squats or sit to stands every time adverts appear on the TV. That could add up to a lot for some of us!