Gransnet forums

Health

What's one health habit you've started that's actually made a difference?

(113 Posts)
Truffle43 Fri 24-Jul-26 10:56:26

Drinking more water and eating more fruit and vegetables.

Cabbie21 Fri 24-Jul-26 10:33:22

I thought summer would be a good time to cut back on carbs and hope to lose some weight. I eat lots of salads and fruit but I get the runs. I can’t win.

Gin Fri 24-Jul-26 10:31:01

Giving up bread. I eat oatcakes instead. I also average to have a very low salt diet so that crusts out most ready meals

Doing back and knee strengthening exercises fairly regularly ( so easy to forget!). Attending weekly Tai Chi class

Tenko Fri 24-Jul-26 10:14:53

I have a few changes , the following two I hope will help as I get older . Standing on one leg whilst brushing my teeth and Getting up
From a chair or sofa without using my hands . It’s called sit to stand. .
Regarding diet , I’ve cut down on sugar and bread . And have less bloating and it keeps my weight stable .

Maggiemaybe Fri 24-Jul-26 10:00:52

5:2 fasting lowered my blood pressure and cholesterol. And combined with daily exercise (exercising along with various free YouTube videos), it keeps my weight just where I want it without having to stint on non fast days. My GP approves and actually follows the 5:2 himself.

Sarnia Fri 24-Jul-26 09:41:07

Being sent on a pre-diabetic course opened my eyes. Although the course has now finished I am continuing with the eating plan (it isn't a diet).
All processed and ultra processed foods are out for me. The vast majority of these foods are packed with saturated fats, salt and sugar.
I am now out of pre-diabetic range and almost 2 stone lighter.

Samsara1 Fri 24-Jul-26 09:21:44

Very little bread and reduced bloating - I love bread but I am training my brain to distrust it.

Lovemylife Fri 24-Jul-26 08:46:30

Took up yoga, which I really enjoy.
Swapping breakfast toast for yoghurt, granola and fruit means less tummy bloating later in the day. Generally eating very little bread nowadays.

JackyB Fri 24-Jul-26 08:33:50

Doing gentle exercises in bed in the morning to loosen hip joints and relieve back pain . Knees up, rocking legs from side to side, wriggling hips - I imagine my pelvis is a dice and move it on all three axes for a minute or so. I feel more active and flexible after doing this.

Also walking to strengthen leg muscles. I hope this will prevent "falls". While walking, rolling feet more exaggerated and "bouncing" on ankles, as this is the weak point.

Plevey08 Thu 23-Jul-26 21:42:20

Well I haven't chosen it myself...but being diagnosed with Coeliac Disease and having to be gluten free. It's an anti- social and isolating auto immune disease. But at least now I'm no longer suffering malabsorption and stomach pains, vomiting and diarrhea with extreme weight loss. So being gluten free has made me feel more like myself. Although I still get very tired as at this age it takes much longer for the small intestine to recover, if it ever does completely. I've stopped drinking wine too..but do miss it but thought I'd best give my guts a chance to heal. It's dull though!

fancythat Thu 23-Jul-26 21:40:14

I do several.
Most important one for me is to drink good quality orange juice. I need vit c daily for all sorts of reasons.

Next is I drink milk.
I get cramp if I dont, plus see too many people suffer from not drinking enough of it I assume.
I want good strong bones.

Dontcallmelove Thu 23-Jul-26 21:02:00

Cutting out sugar/refined carbs. No longer pre diabetic, lost weight and feel better.

za34 Thu 23-Jul-26 20:52:19

Hi everyone,
As I've got older, I've realised it's often the little changes that make the biggest difference rather than trying to overhaul everything at once.
Whether it's walking every day, improving your sleep, drinking more water, stretching, or something completely different, I'd love to hear what's had the biggest positive impact on your health.
Always looking for new ideas!