Gransnet forums

Health

What's one health habit you've started that's actually made a difference?

(114 Posts)
za34 Thu 23-Jul-26 20:52:19

Hi everyone,
As I've got older, I've realised it's often the little changes that make the biggest difference rather than trying to overhaul everything at once.
Whether it's walking every day, improving your sleep, drinking more water, stretching, or something completely different, I'd love to hear what's had the biggest positive impact on your health.
Always looking for new ideas!

MayBee70 Tue 28-Jul-26 17:31:19

1summer

Gran22boys

Maybee mentioned organic frozen blueberries. Don’t know if I’m allowed to mention brands but I’ve started ordering organic frozen fruit packs from a company called Pack’d. It’s all very good. We just take out a small portion in the evening for breakfast next morning.

Yes I use the Pack’d blueberries they are very good. Also they do cauliflower rice which I use instead of rice.

Maybee let me know what the frozen avocados are like I stopped eating the fresh ones as was wasting too much money on under/over ripe ones!!

I just made some avocado and egg mayonnaise with the frozen avocados. I think they’re quite good for things like that. Would have probably had to use a lot of the cubes if I wanted avocados on toast. Will probably just use them to add to smoothies etc.

mrsmeldrew Tue 28-Jul-26 16:27:43

A couple of squares of dark chocolate.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 28-Jul-26 12:51:28

I joined a local independent gym when I was 41, still go at least three times a week.

Best thing I have done for my physical and mental health.

Made new friends and reconnected with old ones.

merlotgran Tue 28-Jul-26 12:13:58

I had this app and paid for it, but a lot of the time it did not work in my local Tesco’s

That’s odd, Shinamae. It works in any supermarket for me. I’m always delighted when a product I’m expecting to get a low score shows a good or excellent rating especially if it’s something that makes economical sense if you’re cooking for one.
I certainly won’t bother with the membership fee because I know all my ‘usuals’ off by heart now. It’s great for checking out a tempting new products though.

Shinamae Tue 28-Jul-26 10:55:54

merlotgran

For anyone concerned about additives in their food and avoiding ultra processed foods, there’s an excellent app you can download called Yuka. It’s free although there is a fee if you want annual membership. You don’t need that as you can scan the barcode on all your purchases as you go round the supermarket. It has a four point rating from excellent to bad and gives detailed information additives and suggests healthier alternatives. It also saves the information which is good for future reference.
I like to think I’ve always had a healthy diet and cook just about everything from scratch especially as I’m coeliac but I do like to know exactly what’s in the ingredients I’m using.

I had this app and paid for it, but a lot of the time it did not work in my local Tesco’s 🤷‍♀️

merlotgran Tue 28-Jul-26 09:44:13

For anyone concerned about additives in their food and avoiding ultra processed foods, there’s an excellent app you can download called Yuka. It’s free although there is a fee if you want annual membership. You don’t need that as you can scan the barcode on all your purchases as you go round the supermarket. It has a four point rating from excellent to bad and gives detailed information additives and suggests healthier alternatives. It also saves the information which is good for future reference.
I like to think I’ve always had a healthy diet and cook just about everything from scratch especially as I’m coeliac but I do like to know exactly what’s in the ingredients I’m using.

Erica23 Tue 28-Jul-26 09:23:05

FriedGreenTomatoes2

My suggestion is a simple one.

I noticed that my stepfather (94) would go straight to the kitchen sink (no downstairs bathroom) to wash his hands thoroughly with soap and water every time he got home from being out.

Basically washing off the germs from outside door handles, ATM buttons, supermacado shopping trollies etc. you get the picture.

I do the same now.

It became a habit, so much so that if I forgot (at the beginning) it felt plain wrong.

How many of us, as he said, leave germs on our hands - only to say eat a biscuit with a cup of tea half an hour later, picking up that biscuit with unwashed fingers? I couldn’t not do this now!

I do this too,I can’t not do it now. If I’ve been shopping I wash my hands straight away, then wash them again when the shopping has been put away. DH does the same now too, makes perfect sense to me.

fancythat Tue 28-Jul-26 08:50:04

I have done that for years[not the trolley]

I noticed about 15 years ago, that I would get a cold about 2 days after I had been out somewhere.
Been to the garage was the worst.
Petrol pumps and doors I assume.

Beechnut Tue 28-Jul-26 00:07:46

FriedGreenTomatoes2

My suggestion is a simple one.

I noticed that my stepfather (94) would go straight to the kitchen sink (no downstairs bathroom) to wash his hands thoroughly with soap and water every time he got home from being out.

Basically washing off the germs from outside door handles, ATM buttons, supermacado shopping trollies etc. you get the picture.

I do the same now.

It became a habit, so much so that if I forgot (at the beginning) it felt plain wrong.

How many of us, as he said, leave germs on our hands - only to say eat a biscuit with a cup of tea half an hour later, picking up that biscuit with unwashed fingers? I couldn’t not do this now!

This is something that I do too. It obviously came natural to me which I didn’t really realise I was doing until Covid times.

I still spray my supermarket trolley if it’s there to use.

Shinamae Mon 27-Jul-26 23:16:31

I make myself a smoothie every day consisting of one banana, mixed red berries from Lidl, blueberries from Lidl,protein powder,semi skimmed milk and crushed nuts
Would like to be organic, but can’t really afford it…
(all berries frozen)

lilypollen Mon 27-Jul-26 22:56:50

Reducing the carbs. Seldom have potatoes, bread and pastry products.

MayBee70 Mon 27-Jul-26 21:33:51

1summer

Gran22boys

Maybee mentioned organic frozen blueberries. Don’t know if I’m allowed to mention brands but I’ve started ordering organic frozen fruit packs from a company called Pack’d. It’s all very good. We just take out a small portion in the evening for breakfast next morning.

Yes I use the Pack’d blueberries they are very good. Also they do cauliflower rice which I use instead of rice.

Maybee let me know what the frozen avocados are like I stopped eating the fresh ones as was wasting too much money on under/over ripe ones!!

Pack’d are the ones I got today from Tesco’s. I read that blueberries are good for us but they carry a lot of pesticide. I wash fresh ones in bicarb but can’t really do that with frozen ones. The Avocado is in chunks. Not sure how much it cost re its cost effectiveness. I think one of the many recipes I’ve scribbled down on bits of paper and then promptly lost was for a sort of mayonnaise made from hard boiled eggs and avocado. I’ve realised my dear mum used to scribble recipes on bits of paper, too. I’ll take a chunk of avocado out tonight to see what it’s like. Might find it’s only really suitable for smoothies. Annoyingly my freezer broke the other year and the one I replaced it with has a much smaller capacity. I’m so grateful for this thread because no one I know is interested in my new eating regime. I’ve tried to talk about it with my kids because I wish I’d started eating this way when I was the age they are now, but they’re not interested. I want to eat more fermented food but I read that most of the stuff in the shops isn’t very good. I sent away for some the other year which was good but it has to be kept refrigerated even before opening and I don’t have room in my fridge which is also small.

1summer Mon 27-Jul-26 20:23:52

Gran22boys

Maybee mentioned organic frozen blueberries. Don’t know if I’m allowed to mention brands but I’ve started ordering organic frozen fruit packs from a company called Pack’d. It’s all very good. We just take out a small portion in the evening for breakfast next morning.

Yes I use the Pack’d blueberries they are very good. Also they do cauliflower rice which I use instead of rice.

Maybee let me know what the frozen avocados are like I stopped eating the fresh ones as was wasting too much money on under/over ripe ones!!

Gran22boys Mon 27-Jul-26 17:15:59

Maybee mentioned organic frozen blueberries. Don’t know if I’m allowed to mention brands but I’ve started ordering organic frozen fruit packs from a company called Pack’d. It’s all very good. We just take out a small portion in the evening for breakfast next morning.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 27-Jul-26 17:06:52

My mother aged nearly 102 at death , did exactly the same FGT.

Must be a generation thing. But I am mindful to do the same. Males sense.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Mon 27-Jul-26 16:50:27

My suggestion is a simple one.

I noticed that my stepfather (94) would go straight to the kitchen sink (no downstairs bathroom) to wash his hands thoroughly with soap and water every time he got home from being out.

Basically washing off the germs from outside door handles, ATM buttons, supermacado shopping trollies etc. you get the picture.

I do the same now.

It became a habit, so much so that if I forgot (at the beginning) it felt plain wrong.

How many of us, as he said, leave germs on our hands - only to say eat a biscuit with a cup of tea half an hour later, picking up that biscuit with unwashed fingers? I couldn’t not do this now!

MayBee70 Mon 27-Jul-26 15:54:08

1summer

MayBee70

1summer

Thank you
I can honestly say it’s not been easy, but being told last year I was now classed as obese and my pre diabetes was tipping over to type 2 diabetes was a wake up call.
I am definitely not perfect and learning all the time about food, I follow one or two good nutritionists on Instagram which is very interesting. Reading labels in supermarkets is very time consuming but getting easier.
I have said on here before I want to make my own sourdough bread, that’s my next step.

I’ve changed my diet completely thanks to instagram. I got locked out of Facebook and switching to instagram was one of the best things I’ve ever done. Get lots of recipes and advice on additive free food etc. One of them said Tescos are now selling an additive free wholemeal loaf but I usually buy an Aldi Protein sourdough loaf ( again recommended on instagram). Read today on how you can replace eggs with chia seeds when baking ( I still eat cake but use wholemeal flour and add flax nuts etc). I’m a bit evangelical about instagram! Tescos are selling more organic foods too.

I can recommend a Nutritionist called Dominique Ludwig on Instagram she is very good. Great recipes.
I think Supermarkets are being to realise we don’t want loads of additives, sugar and horrible fats in our foods. I did hear Tesco is introducing additive free bread. I also like the Aldi protein sourdough but tend to buy Jason’s Wholemeal sourdough.

I like the Aldi loaf but it doesn’t make very good sandwiches..better as toast with a topping. I had slipped into the habit of eating white bread again, though, and it did wean me off that. My partner ( he does all the shopping) got me some of the frozen avocados today so I’ll try them out. And he found the organic frozen blueberries, too. It might save me a lot of money opening up unripe ones or leaving them too long to ripen.

MayBee70 Mon 27-Jul-26 14:49:52

Gran22boys

Some great ideas here but can anyone tell me how not to crave sugar. After every meal I just want something sweet.

During the pandemic, because I was worried about food supplies drying up, I started having just half a KitKat after each meal. Prior to that if I had any chocolate in the house I would often eat the whole lot in one sitting. I now find that I have to finish off my evening meal with something sweet as it’s a way of telling my brain that’s it; eating is now finished for the day. I now make myself chocolate chia puddings with flax porridge chia yoghurt maple syrup cocoa and various fruits. I wish I could stop having just a tiny bit of sugar in coffee as it all mounts up. Wouldn’t dream of having sugar in tea, though.

MayBee70 Mon 27-Jul-26 14:40:48

theworriedwell

MayBee they have for me. I started with day time ones which stopped me rushing to the toilet added the night time ones. I pay £99 for a three month supply which gives me enough for two daytime and two night time capsules a day. I was up two, or more and more often three times. Last night I slept 7hrs 45 minutes and didn't need to dash to the toilet then. I feel it's worth just over £1 a night for that. Don't know if it works for everyone but it has been a game changer for me.

I’ve got to do something. I may need a TKR and one of the things that worries me is having to get up for the loo several times a night. And yet I’m fine in the daytime. Reading the ingredients I started taking two soya capsules and a pumpkin one each day but it hasn’t really helped. When it’s time to get up I’m exhausted. Someone on instagram says we have to train our bladders to not think we have to go to the loo so often and that the mistake we make is going to the loo so often ‘just in case’ which we actually start in childhood. I spend a fortune in supplements anyway so I probably should give Jude a go. My partner gets a double discount at Boots twice a year so I could get some then.

Milliedog Mon 27-Jul-26 14:30:34

@Jan75 I was diagnosed coeliac many years ago. Its genetic for us ( both brothers, mother and one daughter).
There are a number of places where you can eat out safely. My favourite is Carluccio's (no connection with that brand). They are brilliant and serve gluten free bread. I've been eating at our local branch for years. The plate comes with a little flag saying 'gluten free'. I also eat gf at Marks and Spencer. Do try them.
My local Italian used to be great, but they must have changed the chef and last time we ate there, I had an embarrassing reaction.

Shinamae Mon 27-Jul-26 11:08:46

V3ra

Shinamae my mother-in-law was an ex-smoker who had COPD and lived till she was 98. She had inhalers but was never an active person!
Sounds like you're doing the best you can, keep it up 🙂

That’s excellent news 💐💐💐
Apparently, they are going to give me a checkup once an year
Mine is not that bad at the moment I don’t need inhalers, but as I said in my contribution up thread, I am very aware of what it might upgrade itself to….🤷‍♀️

theworriedwell Mon 27-Jul-26 10:50:05

Gran22boys

Some great ideas here but can anyone tell me how not to crave sugar. After every meal I just want something sweet.

I find cold turkey is the only way that works for me. Since I was a child I've given up sweets chocolates cake etc for Lent. The first week is very tough but it gets easier. By Easter I'm not craving sugar at all. I don't give up permanently. I'm eating chocolate and cake again but much less. By next Lent I'll be as bad as ever. Lent resets me again. I like sweet things so I do start again but after the first two or three weeks I don't crave it.

NanKate Mon 27-Jul-26 10:44:33

I walk for about 25 mins each day and have reduced my food intake.

1summer Mon 27-Jul-26 10:21:31

MayBee70

1summer

Thank you
I can honestly say it’s not been easy, but being told last year I was now classed as obese and my pre diabetes was tipping over to type 2 diabetes was a wake up call.
I am definitely not perfect and learning all the time about food, I follow one or two good nutritionists on Instagram which is very interesting. Reading labels in supermarkets is very time consuming but getting easier.
I have said on here before I want to make my own sourdough bread, that’s my next step.

I’ve changed my diet completely thanks to instagram. I got locked out of Facebook and switching to instagram was one of the best things I’ve ever done. Get lots of recipes and advice on additive free food etc. One of them said Tescos are now selling an additive free wholemeal loaf but I usually buy an Aldi Protein sourdough loaf ( again recommended on instagram). Read today on how you can replace eggs with chia seeds when baking ( I still eat cake but use wholemeal flour and add flax nuts etc). I’m a bit evangelical about instagram! Tescos are selling more organic foods too.

I can recommend a Nutritionist called Dominique Ludwig on Instagram she is very good. Great recipes.
I think Supermarkets are being to realise we don’t want loads of additives, sugar and horrible fats in our foods. I did hear Tesco is introducing additive free bread. I also like the Aldi protein sourdough but tend to buy Jason’s Wholemeal sourdough.

Doodledog Mon 27-Jul-26 05:18:39

This is an interesting thread. My only concern is that it could be gathering information to sell us something, but my cynicism may be because I, like so many of us in older age, would love a ‘quick fix’ to stave off the passage of time, and some of us can afford to pay for such things. Maybe not, though.