Gransnet forums

Health

Shingles vaccine

(46 Posts)
argymargy Fri 31-Jul-26 16:51:54

Daddima

The ‘old’ shingles vaccine was one dose of a ‘live’ vaccine, which could give you a mild dose of shingles, but this has now largely been replaced by two doses of Shingrix, which is not a live vaccine, but also contains an adjuvant, which stimulates your immune system.
Incidentally, I read last week that some studies have shown that Shingrix may offer some protection against dementia, and a slowing down of the progression of the disease.

Yes, Daddima, the evidence is now compelling. I can't wait to get the vaccine!!

M0nica Fri 31-Jul-26 16:49:40

My mother and aunt both got shingles in their 60s, before the vaccine was available. After seeing how ill they were and the pain they were in for up to a year afterwards I would accept quite severe side effects to the vaccine rather than have shingles.

Ziplok Fri 31-Jul-26 16:20:17

Yes, the shingrix vaccine affected me and I felt quite unwell for a couple of days after each shot. However, I feel this is a small price to pay if it will protect against a more severe attack of shingles.

(It might not completely protect against getting shingles, but, as I say, protect against a more severe attack).

HelterSkelter1 Fri 31-Jul-26 16:06:46

Twiceasnice I also had had shingles but was advised to still have the Shingrix vax once a certain number of weeks had elapsed since my last dose of shingles. Can't remember the number of weeks.
I assume because you don't actually catch shingles, but it develops if your immune system is compromised for any reason, in my case following chemotherapy, which allowed the chicken pox virus sleeping in my body since childhood chicken px to develop into shingles, that you don't build an immunity however maby times you have it.
I may be wrong....often am

Daddima Fri 31-Jul-26 15:56:36

The ‘old’ shingles vaccine was one dose of a ‘live’ vaccine, which could give you a mild dose of shingles, but this has now largely been replaced by two doses of Shingrix, which is not a live vaccine, but also contains an adjuvant, which stimulates your immune system.
Incidentally, I read last week that some studies have shown that Shingrix may offer some protection against dementia, and a slowing down of the progression of the disease.

TwiceAsNice Fri 31-Jul-26 15:25:06

I have been offered this recently by my own surgery ( and for pneumonia which I had about 10 years ago )

I’m in two minds about the shingles. I have actually had shingles twice in the past. Surely that means I must have immunity already

Roswell Fri 31-Jul-26 15:01:02

I had a sore arm and nausea after the second dose but as I took know someone who had shingles very badly and then suffered with depression so I think it was worth feeling rough for a day.

Soozikinzi Fri 31-Jul-26 13:41:04

I also had flu like symptoms for 24 hours after 2nd shingles vaccine . I think.its fairly common and they do warn you about it .

HelterSkelter1 Fri 31-Jul-26 12:36:11

With any vax now I expect to have a reaction and am pleasantly surprised if I don't. I try not to have 2,on the same day and try not to have anything important lined up for the next couple of days. That saves a cancellation. Am retired so can do that easily. Make life easy is my mantra.

Sallywally1 Fri 31-Jul-26 07:51:36

It did wear off after a while. I am a pro vax person. At the hospital where I used to work it was pretty much compulsory to have the flu jab. This never affected me. I think the hospital worry about a spread to people who are vulnerable such as those with cancer who have a low immune system.

SpringyChicken Fri 31-Jul-26 07:49:33

Same here. The nurse said to expect to feel poorly after the second jab.

Vintagewhine Fri 31-Jul-26 07:46:31

I felt tired for a couple of days but mil had shingles and was ill for several weeks so I was keen to have the vaccine also there's increasing evidence that it helps to prevent Alzheimer's so another reason for having it.

BlueBelle Fri 31-Jul-26 07:43:15

Had mine some years back with the pneumonia one, one in one arm one in the other Can honestly say I never have had any reaction to any vaccine not even a sore arm. I don’t know if that’s a good thing on not soneone told me you should have a reaction ??

NannyJan53 Fri 31-Jul-26 07:33:25

I was fine after the first one, but the second did make me feel quite unwell the day after,

Aveline Fri 31-Jul-26 07:13:51

The first vaccine made my arm very sore, red and swollen. I told the nurse this when I went for the second dose and she said if I had a reaction to part one I wouldn't for part two. She was right!

SueDonim Fri 31-Jul-26 00:45:16

I had a sore arm, that’s all. I was caring for my very sick Dh so I didn’t have time to notice anything untoward, to be honest.

Farmor15 Thu 30-Jul-26 23:26:47

Me too, after 2nd dose. The day after I felt tired and lethargic, also my arm was quite sore. Ì think this reaction is quite common with shingles vaccine. I took paracetamol a few times.

Catterygirl Thu 30-Jul-26 23:22:12

I need my second one soon but will put up with the side effects. My oldest friend has been ill recently with shingles and my neighbour recently died from it.

CocoPops Thu 30-Jul-26 23:18:46

Yes, I usually feel fine after vaccines but after the shingles shot I felt very tired and my joints felt achy for a couple of days

NanKate Thu 30-Jul-26 20:02:52

I too felt very rough after the vaccine.

Sallywally1 Thu 30-Jul-26 10:16:29

I had my second dose yesterday and today have woken up feeling as if I have the flu! Anyone else had this. I had a small lie in and feel a bit better now. I’ve never had a reaction from a vaccine before. I’m 71 if that’s relevant