Gransnet forums

Health

Mental health provision

(30 Posts)
Casdon Sat 08-Aug-26 14:05:09

The idea is good, the stumbling block is going to be a significant staffing problem, for at least the next five years, even if they up the training numbers, because there are just not enough mental health professionals available.

Dodo43 Sat 08-Aug-26 13:46:52

I, for one, am heartened by this as I have a young adult grandson living with me and my husband. He has been diagnosed with schizophrenia . I love him dearly and want to do everything I can to help and support him but I have to be honest and say that the NHS support that he receives is woefully little and I often feel very worried and isolated,as his carer ( though not officially recognised as such ) .I imagine he must feel similar.
These hubs sound like they could be a blessing.

sandye Sat 08-Aug-26 13:45:59

Brilliant idea, I have phoned the crisis team a few times when my daughter has had a manic episode and they are just not interested and she was on the books. Also it my ease some of the prison overcrowding as that's where some end up.

Foxyferret Sat 08-Aug-26 13:41:42

It’s a very good idea but I wonder where the money to fund these hubs will be coming from. It would extremely useful to people all over the country. Sorry for your relative.

Luckygirl3 Thu 06-Aug-26 10:04:38

It is good to see AB tackling this and proposing local hubs. At the moment it is so hard to get the care that is needed. A relative tried to do this in an emergency for their son and was told that they could not get involved as he was not already on their books!

The new hubs will take time to set up and the staffing will be critical, but at least AB is trying to tackle the things that have been swept under the carpet till now: mental health, homelessness, the care system, victims of crime, the rigid education system etc.

This is what a Labour government is meant to do. Some people will like it, some won't but at least he has a clear focus and is communicating.