Yes, the grandchildren growing up and moving on hurts a little in that they don't need us so much.
I was very much a surrogate Mum to my lovely granddaughter - did the bedtime routine from when she was a babe in arms. I felt incredibly privileged to give her a bath before bed, her nightime bottle of milk and sing her to sleep while her parents worked shifts.
That was frequently my role.
I'll treasure those memories.
Now, she is a teenager and has a busy life. She's lovely though and we see her for family gatherings.
Our special bond now she is 13 is the "shopping spree" and we hit the shops and get lunch together somewhere. Yes, my purse tends to be her purse but not to any silly degree and buying her the odd treat brings me pleasure.
She's still young enough to make me a silly thank you card and post it and to want to stay with me on the odd occasion work means Mum isn't around much at the weekend.
Our times together are much less frequent than they used to be and I appreciate she'll soon have a life of her own which rarely includes me, but my consolation is that the bond is strong and without knowing it, she's brought me so much joy.
My life has expanded since retirement and not having Granny duties very often.
I suppose memories have to keep us warm as we age, and they grow up.
Things can't be the same and we have to accept they move on.
I feel so much gratitude that I played a part in her young life. I feel very lucky.