Gransnet forums

Health

What medicine do you remember always having in your childhood medicine cabinet?

(42 Posts)
ginny Sun 04-Oct-26 17:49:01

I remember! Witch Hazel .

ginny Sun 04-Oct-26 17:47:48

Dr.Collis Browne.
Honey , Lemon & Ipicacuana, cough syrup.
Children’s asprin , orange flavour. I think they may have been called something like Angiers.
There was also a liquid that was dabbed onto bruises but I can’t remember what it was called.

MollyNew Sun 04-Oct-26 17:41:34

Germolene
Kaolin poultice
Haliborange
Gripe water for babies
A big spoonful of cod liver oil and malt every night in the Winter

loopyloo Sun 04-Oct-26 17:40:23

Zambuk. If I grazed a knee, mother would wash it and use this ointment

NotSpaghetti Sun 04-Oct-26 17:36:28

Germoline
Olive Oil
Syrup of Marshmallow
And later - Buttercup Syrup.

MaggsMcG Sun 04-Oct-26 17:35:26

Syrup of figs. Milk of Magnesia. Germoline. Asprin. Disprin. Junior Disprin or Asprin (it was orange) and Haliborange.
TCP. Some pink throat tablets that really did a good job but I cant remember what they were called, not Strepsils.

Squiffy Sun 04-Oct-26 17:33:58

Parrish’s Food Iron Tonic was a regular in our house. It was supposed to build you up. We then switched to Iron Jelloids. Like others, a dollop of cod liver oil and malt was also dispensed - I quite liked that!

MayBee70 Sun 04-Oct-26 17:27:26

Californian syrup of figs ( I loved the taste) and Andrew’s Liver Salts. Calamine lotion; probably for chicken pox as I can’t remember getting sunburn as a child.

Sarnia Sun 04-Oct-26 17:06:25

Virol. A delicious sticky malt given by the spoonful daily. It was meant to build babies and children up after the war and rationing years. As I have never been an ideal weight it certainly did the trick with me.
Cod Liver Capsules These dreadful things took over from Virol when I was about 7. I was always scared one would burst before I swallowed it.
Californian Syrup of Figs. A large spoonful every Friday night whether I needed it or not. My parents generation were obsessed with the bowels.

tanith Sun 04-Oct-26 16:50:28

Calamine lotion

dayvidg Sun 04-Oct-26 16:50:19

Milk of Magnesia , oil of eucalyptus, Gee's linctus

kittylester Sun 04-Oct-26 16:45:03

Calpol hadn't been invented when I were a lass.

25Avalon Sun 04-Oct-26 16:39:41

Syrup of Figs, Exlax (yuck), pink ointment.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Sun 04-Oct-26 16:03:50

Possibly a name change (it happens). Funny kind of threads though as never any further discussion from the OP.

Fallingstar Sun 04-Oct-26 16:00:19

fancythat

Are you that poster the other day[maybe from the US] who started a lot of random questions posts?

No I think that was someone else.

fancythat Sun 04-Oct-26 15:57:56

Are you that poster the other day[maybe from the US] who started a lot of random questions posts?

Dreading Sun 04-Oct-26 15:53:27

Calpol