Gransnet forums

Health

Am i going mad.

(104 Posts)
etheltbags1 Sun 27-May-18 21:45:41

I need someone to tell me if I am crazy, same old subject my mother. She lives in the same street.lives independently but I do check on her every day. She is getting more awkward every day. If I make her a cuppa it had to be in a small mug, not too hot too strong or too weak. She can't eat crusty bread for her teeth, this is a disgrace to the nhs who should provide her with some better false teeth. Today i had to get extra bread as she wanted soft bread. Tonight she has fallen and as usual rang me but as shes not bleeding she will be ok, but is complaining about her hip and struggling to walk so I will have to take her to the a and e tomorrow.Gone is my day off. I've told her to give up gardening as this is how she fell. She says she won't. She won't wear trousers to protect her legs etc etc. I just scrape through my days, after work I'm so tired I just go to bed at 8 ish. I can't face doing her garden again or having to look after her b........ parrott who hates me. When she is ok I spend the time anxious about what she's up to. Recently she had her hearing check and a new hearing aid but she doesn't hear any better, again the nhs should take better care and fix her deafness, I'm sick of shouting, I'm sick of everything. I had my first holiday abroad 27 years on a cruise and I loved it. I had to let her get on with things and I felt so free. I'm trying to teach her not to be rude she swore in asda today, I was mortified. She seems not to be able to change, why are old people like this. I just want to pack a bag and drive off and never come back. I survived cancer to spend my life being abused like this. Any advice

Belgravian Sun 27-May-18 21:55:47

Well first of all I hope writing it down as helped get some of it off of your chest.

As an outsider your mother sounds like a feisty old bugger and I really hope I have the same spirit at her age!

From your point of view I can see what a tremendous responsibility you feel and the resentment at being the one to see to her.

Some people will tell you that you should put up and shut up as after all she cared for you when you were a baby and a child and it is now a case of the roles being reversed. I do understand that.

But I also understand how you feel like she is an albatross around your neck.

Unless there is another family member to share the burden then it does rather look like you have to carry on. But if you can find ways to have more time for yourself then try.

Being a dutiful daughter doesn't mean you're not entitled to let off steam and want and need time off now and again.

Who looked out for her when you were on the cruise?

flowers for you as you sound so stressed.

M0nica Sun 27-May-18 21:56:07

Seaking as an old person, I am nearly 75, I dod not think all of us are like that, but I do accept that some people do get very difficult as they grow old.

Ethel is there nothing you can do to limit how often you visit her? she presumably managed alright when you were away. Can you tell her firmly (and possibly social services) that you can only visit three days a week and there will need to be a fall back position for when you are unavailable. I seem to remember that you too have had health problems. Could you use these as a reason why you cannot provide 24/7 support.

I sometimes think that if we get really difficulty and crachity in extreme old age, I am not talking about dementia, we should be left to cope with the problems this behaviour causes us, but it is difficult when it is our parents and somehow we care about them.

etheltbags1 Sun 27-May-18 22:06:51

I went on holiday and told her she would have to look after herself, at the time she was going on the bus for light shopping, going to her voluntary work. I did a big shop then let her get on with it. Her friend fined and she was ok.She has a string around her neck if she falls to alert someone. I'm also so scared that I have too look after her. I can't take bodily functions or smells. When she had her last fall I made meals but they were never right,whatever I bought was not right. She calls me to everybody. She lived with her mother and nursed her through cancer and I'm sure she expects the same, but I need to work till I'm 66.

etheltbags1 Sun 27-May-18 22:15:50

Can I also say I was brought up by violence, my mother and I lived with my granny who was violent. I used to cringe if even looked at her, if I was cheeky I would get a punch.my granny was so scary, I wasn't allowed friends, I hadn't many toys but I was well fed and clothed. My mother was so nice, I hated her going to work, my granny bullied her too. She was my best friend until the last ten years or so when she began to be like my granny, condemning everything I did. Some of her friends have mentioned that she is tyrannical. Although she was my best friend she used to shout a lot. Even today I can't stand shouting.

SueDonim Sun 27-May-18 22:18:49

Goodness, that sounds horrific for you. sad You are not obliged to do this. What would happen if you called time on your caring duties? What's the worst that could happen? A massive tantrum? You won't be there to witness it.

You know what they say on aeroplane safety talks? Put your own oxygen mask on before helping anyone else with theirs. You need to put yourself first. flowers

OldMeg Sun 27-May-18 22:38:55

Well, she certainly knows how to pull your strings doesn’t she? What a lovely daughter you are, but possibly too lovely.

Get her a social worker. Share the load. Put her in respite care for a week and go away and have a break.

Make use of modern technology. Get her groceries delivered instead of taking her shopping. Get her a gardener. Put your foot down HARD.

etheltbags1 Sun 27-May-18 23:24:28

Thanks, Old Meg, I asked her to get a gardener but she won't and I can't make her. She can shop online as she did when I was on cancer treatment, the thing is that she would do anything for me, its sort of emotional blackmail, today she was pulling out weeds as she walked down my path saying that I could easily weed my garden. Grrr. Making me feel bad as I've had extra work this week to make up for my holiday as I'm on zero hours. I've been giving her little jobs to do to make her feel needed, like little sewing jobs and she foes everything and is quite happy but if I could get her to listen and make some changes..

paddyann Sun 27-May-18 23:43:28

I looked after my mum for 12 years until she died.She too was bad tempered in the last few years and I worked full time had a teenager at home ( he was 5 when I started looking after her) and a grandson who I had at my home a few times a week .She used to tell me I shouldn't be looking after him as I should spend my spare time caring for her.She was doubly incontinent,would only eat food made by me and even her doctor called her a carnaptious old devil.It s not easy ,you feel so guilty of you dont see them at least a couple of times a day and my mum used to call my cousins and tell them I never visited despite her seeing me lunchtimes and dinner times EVERY day. Well I made it through the middle of the night phone calls telling me she was paralysed ...even though she managed to open the door to me when I rushed the mile to her house and I always say I'm glad I did all I could for her as you will be when your mother is no longer here .Its tough but life often is .I found meditating helped with the stress ,might be worth a try for you or disconnect your phone for a couple of hours and take time for yourself.I really feel for you,it wont last forever though so chin up and stay positive .

crazyH Mon 28-May-18 00:02:59

Some lovely daughters here flowers

As for me, I hope I never have to depend on my children to look after me. Visiting me and doing some shopping will be ok- but doing personal stuff, no. Poor kids , they have their own lives and their own problems. They are busy and stressed enough with their daily lives ,
But as I say, my respect and admiration goes out to those who do care for their elderly parents

Belgravian Mon 28-May-18 00:29:39

I've got the opposite problem.

I live nearly 300 miles away from my parents. I visited a couple of weeks ago and stayed for five days by renting a house down there and it was hrs seeing how old and not very robust they are.

They don't like anyone doing anything for them which makes it hard. They are very wealthy which concerns me as they could be targeted and are physically vulnerable.

They have moved into a lovely flat that has the pulleys for alarms to get help but I doubt they would use them!

They do not use the internet so all communication is by handwritten letter or phone calls.

Its a sad situation for us all when our parents are elderly.

BlueBelle Mon 28-May-18 05:54:36

Oh dear this is awful for both of you but you really sound like the wrong person to be looking after your Mum NOW

When you become full of resentment surely it’s time to find a way of sharing the load I’m not being harsh because I can TOTALLY see where you are coming from but the old lady is not being awful on purpose, she’s struggling to try and keep her independence, her hobbies, her restricted bit of life She can’t help being old and perhaps we ll all be crabby, and set in our ways when our time comes you say she would do anything for you and was your best friend so she obviously isn’t a nasty person

Ok here’s some ideas get some gardener on board ASAP but tell her you want her to help this person as they love gardening but don’t have one of their own ( obviously talk this over with the gardener first) lots of women are gardeners nowadays She Needs to feel needed, wanted still useful
Set the shopping up through the internet tell her you’re working extra hours and can’t do it for the time being

Can she go to a day centre one day a week ?

The wanting to run away bit sounds as if you’re very depressed PLEASE go to the doctors and sort this out and also ask for a social worker for your Mum they will sort lots of things out for her including her hearing aids and teeth but no one will help if you don’t ask

(SueDonim you ask what’s the worst can happen if you withdraw help it’s not that easy have you ever tried it with someone you love? Ethel will be eaten up with guilt and after her mum has gone she will blame herself hideously with no chance of putting it right )
This is an awful situation for both of you please please please share the load even if she says no

silverdarlings Mon 28-May-18 07:43:38

Dear Ethel, Its all been said above, in loving ways--
Also, maybe you could learn to make loving boundaries for yourself
they would not make you a horrible person. ++

valeriej43 Mon 28-May-18 10:05:43

Just a thought,has she been checked for Alzheimers,as they can get like this,often out of character, my mother was lovely, but got very cantankerous in her [very] old age,and came out with things she would never have said before
You dont say how old your mother is,
You need to get some help, and put yourself first,she is wearing you down

jessycake Mon 28-May-18 10:07:08

This does sound like the beginning of a bit of dementia, she probably cannot help it and will be unable to change . I think you will have to just impose firm boundaries and get a social services assessment if necessary and a memory test. I have been down this rocky road twice and sometimes you have to impose some changes for your own sanity xx

NemosMum Mon 28-May-18 10:08:29

Ethel this is very likely to be early dementia. Please don't feel guilty. Think about boundaries. For example: falling down today and wanting you to take her to A&E tomorrow. Clearly, if she can wait until tomorrow, it's not an A&E matter; an 'urgent' appointment with the GP will do. Think about what is a reasonable request and what is not. How much time can you give without compromising your mental and physical health? Often the local Carer's Association will have someone whom you can talk to and help you work out what's best. They can also signpost you to all sorts of services and entitlements e.g. Attendance Allowance, Carer's Allowance. Take care flowers

Skweek1 Mon 28-May-18 10:14:17

MIL is difficult, argumentative and drives us all demented. She has all the answers to everything. I recognise that at 70 (she's 85), so do I - the trouble is we have totally opposing answers. Love her to bits, but recognise that she won't be with us for many more years, so prepared to let her win, which doesn't suit either! She's had several falls in last month but won't see doc and we're worried sick about her and DS is considering going back to live with her, as she could do with some support, but then she'd whinge that she doesn't want him cluttering up her house. Thankfully we're close enough to keep an eye on her, but still able to keep our own space - I think we'd be throwing her out of a window otherwise! So you're not alone, Ethel. Do you have a local Carers' Resource which can offer you support?

Apricity Mon 28-May-18 10:15:36

Ethyltbags1 I do wonder if your mother has a developing dementia with associated disinhibition. Has she always been this angry and this contrary? Is this a major change in her personality? Personal histories are important diagnostic tools.

I would suggest that your mother needs a thorough medical and cognitive assessment although I know there is probably little chance she would agree to this. The only variable is how much you can continue to be involved on a day to day basis. Sometimes you need to step back to allow the local supports and health services to step in. It sounds truly horrible for you. ?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 28-May-18 10:19:40

Feisty old bugger! My late MIL was like that. Is there a local voluntary organisation that could send round a visitor to go round for a natter (or be nattered at) who could take the heat off a bit?
If she accepts this, a disadvantage is that she will 'love her' and everyone else is awful by comparison, that was us of course and could be you. So sorry for this but it won't go on forever.

palliser65 Mon 28-May-18 10:20:01

Sending you so many supportive hugs and thoughts. Please, please go to your GP and ask for professional help for your mother. This is an impossible job for oyu and you do need to accept that. Please do not even feel one bit of guilt as the task you have is far and beyond what would be expected. This lady is not going to improve. Youe health will start to decline and in the end you'll both be in a terrible place. How onearth you work and be such a responsible and loyal daughter is amazing but stop it.

I can only speak from experience. I hadn't realsied i was becoming so very depressed until I realised I was trying to achieve the unachievable. Just step back and please get help.

peaches50 Mon 28-May-18 10:29:23

My darling mum died after a history similar to yours when I had to crawl up the stairs on my hands and knees I was so exhausted mentally and physically looking after her increasingly selfish demands. I was devoted to her but she had to go into a care home (the doctor, and police who found her wandering at night, said she would be sectioned if I didn't stop trying to do her wishes - keep her at home). I still feel guilt on the one occasion I grabbed her arm roughly to stop her standing in the middle of the road in oncoming traffic - the bruises on her frail arm haunt me still. When she's gone memories both bad and good will stay with you. It's very hard but it will pass, you must use what's out there for coping mechanisms and stop it destroying the relationship you have leaving you bitter and resentful. Practically - yes my Mum did have dementia. Please go for support - Carers UK brilliant. And the unpleasant stage you describe goes when they decline - Mum turned from a she-devil into a smiling silent angel. Good luck

focused1 Mon 28-May-18 10:44:26

Small steps . Have 1 day where you don't go . A regular day . If you feel she can't be alone all day then suggest a cleaner who will be in the house . This may get over the'carer ' situation that many assertive older folk don't want . Maybe another day a gardener so you know someone has been round . Get any medication delivered so that you can at least have regular visitors . My Dad was the same . My main problem was he refused to stop driving then disowned me for a couple of months when I threatened DVLA . There is no easy solution but subtle seems to be better .

Harris27 Mon 28-May-18 10:44:28

You need some help speak to social services who can advise.nwe struggled on with mil getting more needy every day till we were worn out.my mother is in a home after years of saying nothing wrong ( dementia) mil went into home after having carers at home six times a day and died four weeks later.natural cause. We've just had our holiday in the sun and just lay there flat out shattered. Get some help .

Esspee Mon 28-May-18 10:46:43

A neighbour and I provided help to an elderly neighbour who ended up hospitalised for 3 months. He was visited and chores done 5days a week. On his return social services set up carers to come in 4 times a day. He refused to have them shop as they charged for the service stating that we would do it and wanted it brought in daily only from Morrisons. Refused to have his medication put into blister packs despite saying he wasn't sure which he was to take. Didn't want the carers to clean the house though it is definitely needing it........etc. We decided together that we had had enough and had to withdraw support as he was so demanding. Now we feel guilt but his family (who will inherit) do little.
It is sad that your mother is like this with you and guilt tripping you to fit in with her unreasonable demands. She needs to be told that very firmly then you need to create boundaries and stick to them. It's for your health and sanity.

Sunami2 Mon 28-May-18 10:48:15

I cared for my dad, whom I loved, and was loved by, dearly, for 14 years.
He was very resourceful all his life but in his last years depended heavily on me for love, company and practical support.
It was tough emotionally and sometimes physically and my dad was often irrascible. I also worked part time as a nurse and had a husband and two children to look after...
There were occasions when life was particularly demanding and the build up of stress would cause me to wonder if I was going crazy.... I wasn't and neither are you Ethel...
My abiding memories of my dad are good ones and I'm so pleased that I supported him to the end...

There are some good tips in the responses you have received and which I won't add to but hope they and maybe mine are of some support and at the very least help you to feel less alone...

Take care and heart xX