Gransnet forums

Health

Some tv too dark to see oropertly

(12 Posts)
suey Sat 23-Jan-21 16:00:01

Does anyone else find some tv is too dark to see proprrly? I admit I love detective series and it is mainly those whose introductions are too dark, despite my altering the bright
ness settings? And programmes that folllow on from those are fine, usually.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 23-Jan-21 16:13:56

We watched a film last week which was so dark, we tried adjusting the TV which made it marginally better, but we decided that the film wasn’t worth the effort of peering through the gloom and switched it off.

Ohmother Sat 23-Jan-21 16:17:54

One of the regular gripes in this house. We think it’s to save paying for the correct background scenery. Seriously though we think it’s got worse over time. Don’t start me on the mumbling ?

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 23-Jan-21 16:20:37

Or the music that drowns out any speaking.........

Jaxjacky Sat 23-Jan-21 16:37:06

We haven’t had that problem, whether it makes a difference, I don’t know, but we do have a smart tv under a year old.

HurdyGurdy Sat 23-Jan-21 16:39:32

Yes, especially if you're trying to watch in daytime when it's light in the house. Without really thick curtains to close to shut the light out, I don't stand a chance.

I often give up on programmes because of it.

And I make good use of the subtitles due to the mumbling, and unnecessary whispering

AGAA4 Sat 23-Jan-21 16:45:36

I had this problem with not being able to see as tv too dark but
with my new smart tv I don't have that problem now.

Still have the mumbling problem though. Are actors not trained in clear speech these days?

EllanVannin Sat 23-Jan-21 16:46:56

Yes, it's the mumbling, then when you turn it up you jump out of your skin when the adverts appear grin

Ohmother Sat 23-Jan-21 16:50:56

Yep! The adverts are LOUD and clear!

Liz46 Sat 23-Jan-21 16:52:46

We sometimes have a problem with the programmes being too dark and also subtitles with a background colour almost the same so that you can't read them.

brook2704 Sat 23-Jan-21 16:57:21

What make TV is it suey? It may be a fault as we had a similar problem with a Sony Bravia TV that subsequently developed a different fault and had to be fixed in the workshop. When it was returned to us the dark screen had gone too, even though we’d not mentioned it as an issue

TerriBull Sat 23-Jan-21 17:18:17

Yes often happens, it's quite annoying along with inaudible mumbling.☹️