Gransnet forums


Carers/Attendance Allowance

(33 Posts)
Auntieflo Mon 14-Jun-21 17:15:20

I have been advised that I could potentially claim Carers/ Attendance Allowance.
Is there anybody with knowledge of filling in these forms, who would be willing to point me in the right direction please?

On the Gov. Web site, it states that the form will be date stamped from the time of application, but on phoning the 0800 line, there is a recorded message that says the office is closed and to download the form, which I have done. 29 pages!
There is a month in which to complete this.
Will it then be timed from the date of receipt by them?

Apologies if this is a bit garbled, but it is the first time I have dealt with anything like this and feel a bit overwhelmed at the moment.
Thanks in advance.

Nanna58 Mon 14-Jun-21 17:21:10

The are very daunting aren’t they? Please remember black ink , sometimes forgotten when witnesses use own pens to sign. Just read very carefully, and don’t be afraid to ring them for advice if anything is unclear, I did a coup,e of times and they were very helpful. Good luck

GrannySomerset Mon 14-Jun-21 17:30:15

AuntieFlo, Age UK or village agents if you have such a thing will help because getting the wording right makes all the difference. DH was awarded the higher rate a couple of years ago and I am about to spend the money on buying in support because I can’t manage alone any longer. Payment starts from the date the form is received so it’s worth getting on with it. The form is quite long but not impossible. I attached the letter from the consultant confirming Parkinson’s and expect you have something similar which proves the condition which is the reason for the claim.

The allowance is not taxable and can be paid into the bank account of whoever will be spending the money.

Go for it!

blossom14 Mon 14-Jun-21 17:33:37

Auntieflo I did this form with help from a gentleman at our local AgeUK office two months ago. I would try ringing your nearest Office.

theworriedwell Mon 14-Jun-21 17:34:35

Age UK were brilliant when I was applying for benefits for an elderly relative. When I went back to thank them and tell them it was all sorted they were also very genuinely pleased for me.

Attendance allowance is for the person who needs help, carers allowance is for the person helping them. There is a minimum number of hours you need to be caring and there is a limit on how much income you can have and still claim. It was round about £100 a week when I claimed so probably a bit more now.

Good luck.

Witzend Mon 14-Jun-21 17:43:10

Age U.K. are supposed to be very good at helping with this.

One thing I’ve heard many times is, always describe things on the worst day (or night), don’t gloss over or play down anything because it doesn’t apply every day.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 14-Jun-21 17:44:36

You definitely need help to fill in the AA form because as has been said, the way you word it can be critical. Age Concern is a good source of help. AA is not means tested, but Carers Allowance can be affected by other State benefits or level of State Pension you may be receiving. Do get advice.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 14-Jun-21 17:45:10

Sorry Age UK!

Elizabeth1 Mon 14-Jun-21 17:49:51

Auntyflo I’m your man/ woman please pm me I’ll give you the right pointers - if I say so myself I’m pretty good at this form filling business

annodomini Mon 14-Jun-21 19:32:16

When I was a CAB adviser, I found that clients who had filled in their own forms were all too likely to be rejected. We had developed expertise and knew what to emphasise in the applications and more often than not, with our help, they were granted AA. Age UK and CAB both have this expertise and, in appropriate cases, McMillan nurses will make the application for their patients.

welbeck Mon 14-Jun-21 19:43:07

or if you have a carers centre in your area, sometimes called princess royal centres, they might help.
if you are in receipt of state pension you will not get the carer's allowance money, but it is still important to apply for it, and be noted as a carer.
i think the claim will be dated from when you applied for the form, that is why it say you have a month in which to return it.
did you have to put your name/address in to get the form.
anyway others will know more.
nice of Elizabeth1 to offer help, very gracious Ma'am.
all the best.

dragonfly46 Mon 14-Jun-21 19:47:22

Yes Age UK filled out my parents forms free. Someone came to the house.

welbeck Mon 14-Jun-21 19:49:51

a person has to be in receipt of attendance allowance for you to claim carer's allowance in regard to the care you provide for that person.
not clear from your post which it is. ? maybe both.

JaneJudge Mon 14-Jun-21 19:51:47

just some other advice, send copies of medical evidence, letters etc, receipts of medical cost, parking fees at hospital etc etc
then when you've filled in the form, photocopy the application and the enclosed evidence and send by recorded delivery

Cabbie21 Mon 14-Jun-21 20:24:32

Attendance Allowance is very detailed but quite a straightforward form, compared to PIP, for example. The higher rate is if the person needs help at night ie when everyone is in bed, as well as during the day. Day includes getting up and getting ready for bed. My mum got it but she was one to make light of her difficulties so she had to be encouraged to tell it like it is. Some people find that quite hard and fight shy of the reality of their needs.

kittylester Mon 14-Jun-21 20:39:17

Carer's allowance is a 'replacement' benefit and there are strict rules about who can claim it.

Attendance allowance is not means tested and it's a good idea to get AgeUk to help you fill it in - they know the buzz words.

Liz46 Mon 14-Jun-21 20:45:32

I applied for Attendance Allowance when my mother had dementia and it was turned down.
I went to The Citizen's Advice and they worded it differently for me and it was granted.

62Granny Mon 14-Jun-21 21:17:24

Definitely get help to fill in the form, CAB, Age Concern of welfare Rights, which is usually attached to your local council , ask in your local library information hub if they have anybody that can help, they do more than lend books these days or if you know your local councillors ask them if they can recommend an organisation in your area.

M0nica Mon 14-Jun-21 21:23:23

I disagree with janejudge there is no need to provide any supportive evidence when making an application for Attendance Allowance.

I was a Home Visitor with Age UK when it was Age Concern aand I totally agree with annodomini, do not fill the form in yourself. You need the help of someone who understands how to word everything, knows the buzz words that if used get you the right support.

The forms are 'scored' by very low grade clerks who struggle with anything complicated or unusual. If you do get turned down, go back to Age UK and make an Appeal. The success rate on appeal is something like 70%.
Go to Age UK

62Granny Mon 14-Jun-21 21:26:27

Sorry should have mentioned it the person you are caring for is under retirement age they need to be claiming PIP and get the higher rate of the care component, for you to get carers allowance but if over 66 it is the care component of Attendance allowance. If it is PIP one that is easy to claim all you need to do is enter the persons information online and your details but you can only earn a set amount of you are still working and you won't be able to claim once you receive your state pension. I am not sure about attendance allowance sorry but know it is for people over retirement age.

JaneJudge Mon 14-Jun-21 21:30:41

Monica, when was this? or are you still involved?

As my experience is you do have to enclose further information. I do more PIP applications though in all honesty so maybe I am encouraging people to send more than is necessary

M0nica Mon 14-Jun-21 21:41:21

It was a while ago and I have never been involved with PIPS.

When I started we had to get medical certificates, but that was stopped. As you are doing it now I bow to your more recent knowledge.

JaneJudge Mon 14-Jun-21 21:50:41


It was a while ago and I have never been involved with PIPS.

When I started we had to get medical certificates, but that was stopped. As you are doing it now I bow to your more recent knowledge.

don't be daft, I didn't know whether I was over advising wrt AA smile

Pip you have to send loads of stuff and then generally complex cases get called for assessment anyway

kittylester Tue 15-Jun-21 07:20:03

I don't think any paperwork is involved in AA apart from the form itself.

grandMattie Tue 15-Jun-21 07:25:27

DH helps people to fill in those forms. Do get assistance from Age UK and try sound be able to advise you. You will need a list of medications. It takes over 6 weeks but you should get back pay from the date the form was sent out. DH recommends a physical form as the backpay is more reliable.