Gransnet forums

Health

Recommendations for a good body moisturiser

(22 Posts)
MarilynneT33 Sat 18-Jun-22 01:09:59

I have my 70th birthday next month and my skin is so dry but don't know what to use. I have some good foot cream with urea in it as recommended on here somewhere and I use Cyclax Moisturer Moisturiser. I used it when I was young and couldn't get it for years until I found it on Amazon. It's lovely but not greasy but not much good for the rest of me. I need something but I don't like really greasy creams. Any recommendations. Thanks

MarilynneT33 Sat 18-Jun-22 01:14:57

I forgot to add that I use the Cyclax moisturiser on my face and neck. I'm lucky that I don't have any wrinkles....yet. smile

sukie Sat 18-Jun-22 01:16:23

My dermatologist recommended Cerave Moisturizing Cream. I'm pleased with it.

MarilynneT33 Sat 18-Jun-22 01:26:47

Thanks for that Sukie. I'll pick some up in Sainsburys when I go on Tuesday.

Whiff Sat 18-Jun-22 04:14:34

When I had jaundice 5 years ago the dermatologist gave me 2 creams Dermal double gel which was very thick . I used it on my body and to wash in. And Dermol 500 lotion. Once my skin stopped itching ,was bright red and burning. She said just to use the Dermol 500 lotion which I still do everyday. My skin has never been in such good condition. I get it on prescription still but can be brought in boots and other chemists. Because it's pump action a 500ml bottle lasts 11-12 weeks.

I use it on all my body including my face. It's fragrance free, non greasy ,it looks white on your skin but quickly absorbs in.

Scribbles Sat 18-Jun-22 08:06:38

My late husband's GP recommended Aqueous Cream for his very dry skin and it did make a difference. Now I use it on my arms and legs and face.
It's not perfumed, very light and not greasy, easy to apply and quickly absorbed. You can buy it in pharmacies and online and a big tub costs less than a fiver.

MarilynneT33 Sat 18-Jun-22 12:38:36

Whiff my hubby used Dermol on prescription when he got dry skin when using chemicals at work. We still have some for hand washing in the bathroom. It's good for dry hands but not tried it anywhere else. I will have to try all your suggestions until I find one that suits.

Visgir1 Sat 18-Jun-22 13:08:48

Yes Dermol 500, brilliant product.
Body lotion and good face wash all in one tub.

hulahoop Sat 18-Jun-22 14:28:20

Aveeno is one I have used not the cheapest but you don't need a lot at a time.

Yammy Sat 18-Jun-22 15:02:33

One not to use St Tropez body moisturising gradual tan. I thought it was getting to be bare-legged time and as they are looking a bit ancient. I bought what I thought was my usual.
I used it this morning and already I am all streaky and will be in jeans for a few weeks until it fades.smile
My DH was recommended Aqueous cream by a dermatologist he never uses soap on his face and even shaves with it. He does use a sun block as well if he is out in the sun.

TillyTrotter Sat 18-Jun-22 16:00:39

I use Aveeno moisturising creamy oil with sweet almond oil - pump action.
It is not oily as the name suggests - just wonderfully smoothing and easy to rub in all over your body.
Agree with hulahoop, it’s around the £7 mark but is very good and long lasting.

foxie48 Sat 18-Jun-22 16:26:22

I use Dermol in the shower and Aveeno as a general body moisturiser and they seem to be keeping my discoid exzema at bay.

Blondiescot Sat 18-Jun-22 16:32:37

The best I've found is an aloe vera cream which I first found while on holiday in Fuerteventura. Was delighted when I discovered I can buy it on Amazon. It's very soothing and moisturising and also cheap.

grandMattie Sat 18-Jun-22 16:40:20

DH was recommended QV cream and wash. They are brilliant.

BlueSky Sat 18-Jun-22 20:38:17

A couple of years ago I started using Neutrogena Hydro Boost body lotion and it’s even better than the more expensive brands. Moisturises beautifully without the greasy feeling.

MarilynneT33 Sun 19-Jun-22 01:10:26

Just to add to my dry skin I also have a patch of psoriasis on each elbow and use Dermovate cream. I get that from my gp as it's slightly stronger than the chemist sells.

cyberjack Wed 29-Jun-22 15:40:23

Aveeno body wash and Aveeno body lotion best ever , I'm 74 and have dry itchy skin if I neglect it. Also for pure indulgence the Clarins one in the blue bottle Clarins Body Smoothing Moisture Milk with Aloe Vera, has a fabulous perfume and is really good although three times the cost.

Mine Wed 29-Jun-22 19:22:32

Love Vaseline intensive care with cocoa butter...

Patsy70 Wed 29-Jun-22 19:43:27

I’m using the Tropics range at the moment. Not cheap, but feels so good on my skin and smells divine.

H1954 Wed 29-Jun-22 19:46:18

You can't go wrong with E45; available in cream and lotion too.

Lilypops Wed 29-Jun-22 19:53:21

I always use a moisturiser on my body , Ponds cocoa butter, or Vaseline intensive care ,bit i have recently noticed a very dry scaly patch just down from my forehead to the bridge of my nose. It looks awful I
, I use an exfoliater but it comes back , Anyone else have this ?

Hollyhock1 Wed 29-Jun-22 19:53:27

I personally can't rate the Dermol 500 Lotion highly enough! For me it's cured a long term problem which I couldn't get help with during the first lockdown. I buy mine online and it's half the cost of for eg. a well known high street chemist. I use it as a shower gel, even on intimate areas as well as a leave on moisturiser. Worth a try!