Gransnet forums

Health

Shingles

(78 Posts)
Allex50 Tue 26-Mar-24 11:29:42

I had shingles and lost three teeth as it went there (destroyed the nerve). Looking to get the Shingrix (I understand the older one is only 50% effective) to improve chances next time. Is this available on the NHS?

ExDancer Tue 26-Mar-24 11:35:55

I'd ring my GP surgery. There's quite a complicated system in place to obtain the shingles injection, based on age. I struck luck and fell into the required timeframe. I' ve had shingles twice and its not pleasant. That's very hard luck about your teeth.

Sparklefizz Tue 26-Mar-24 14:17:49

I’m so sorry to hear what a bad time you had with Shingles.

I had the first of the Shingles vaccinations this morning, second one due in 6-12 months. The nurse said it doesn’t totally prevent Shingles but the effects are much milder. My cousin caught it after being vaccinated and had no pain at all and only knew he had it because of the blisters.

Sparklefizz Tue 26-Mar-24 14:18:47

Ps. My vax was on the NHS

dogsmother Tue 26-Mar-24 14:53:10

Luckily I don’t carry the virus but if I did I’d be first inline to have vax and no mistake. It’s a miserable thing for anyone.

J52 Tue 26-Mar-24 14:56:24

I’ve had my first dose of the vax, unfortunately I experienced the worst side affects. I’m due the top up shortly, I’ll attend, but discuss whether I’ll be affected badly again. Especially as it doesn’t prevent the disease.

Namsnanny Tue 26-Mar-24 15:10:49

J52 if you dont mind me asking, what were the side effects, and were you made aware of them before you had the vac?

Primrose53 Tue 26-Mar-24 15:11:07

I had shingles recently but got to GP within the required 72 hours and got the anti viral meds and that stopped more blisters forming. I was just really tired and itchy.

TillyTrotter Tue 26-Mar-24 15:18:57

I had side effects after the second dose of Shingrix and they lasted 48 hrs. All are known , and and I was warned I might get them - temperature (shivering, then overheating), sickness and upset stomach, very sore arm (worse than when Covid jabs were given to me) and feeling faint when standing (so I stayed lying down).
After getting Shingles 3 times I feel the discomfort was worth the future benefits.

Witzend Tue 26-Mar-24 15:35:47

Today I’ve noticed the exact same throbbing ache in a kidney area that I had with the onset of shingles 7 years ago. Plus an awful lot of itching around my middle. Last time it was just before Easter, too.
And very similar circs - after I’d had a very nasty cold, plus more tired than usual after doing Gdc duty.

I’ve had the shingles jab, but I know it won’t prevent it altogether. If it’s still aching tomorrow will have to see the GP. Total PITA though 🙁.

midgey Tue 26-Mar-24 17:06:04

I didn’t know that there were two vaccinations for shingles, I have only had one.

JenniferEccles Tue 26-Mar-24 17:24:23

It’s essential to start the anti-viral medication within about 48 hours of the onset of symptoms I think Witzend for them to be effective.

Shingles is such an unpleasant thing and some poor souls continue to suffer even after the rash has completely gone.

Sparklefizz Tue 26-Mar-24 17:24:27

I was told this morning that you need the 2nd vaccination 6-12 months after the 1st, and it's up to the patient to make a note and remember to book it.

Primrose53 Tue 26-Mar-24 17:51:12

JenniferEccles

It’s essential to start the anti-viral medication within about 48 hours of the onset of symptoms I think Witzend for them to be effective.

Shingles is such an unpleasant thing and some poor souls continue to suffer even after the rash has completely gone.

It’s 72 hours.

Katyj Tue 26-Mar-24 18:10:06

dogsmother. Do you mind me asking how you know you don’t carry the virus. I haven’t had chickenpox so wonder if I should have the vaccine or not.

Sar53 Tue 26-Mar-24 18:39:30

I had the first of two shingles jabs a couple of weeks ago and had horrendous side effects, the same as TillyTrotter. I hope I don't get them with the second dose in 6 months time.
I have had shingles in the past and really don't want it again.

Witzend Tue 26-Mar-24 18:46:55

JenniferEccles

Yes, I know. But last time I had it, the first symptom (throbbing ache in the kidney area) started on Good Friday, so I wasn’t able to see the GP until the Tuesday. TBH it had never occurred to me that it was shingles - I hadn’t noticed any rash - I was worried that it was kidney cancer! So it was something of a relief when she said straight away that it was shingles.

The meds must have worked, though, since although it certainly wasn’t pleasant, it wasn’t nearly as bad as some people experience. Or maybe I was just lucky.

Witzend Tue 26-Mar-24 18:47:58

Sparklefizz

I was told this morning that you need the 2nd vaccination 6-12 months after the 1st, and it's up to the patient to make a note and remember to book it.

Nobody ever told me I’d need a second jab.

J52 Tue 26-Mar-24 19:01:23

Namsnanny

J52 if you dont mind me asking, what were the side effects, and were you made aware of them before you had the vac?

I was told the area might sting and I might have a headache, but to take paracetamol.
The injection site stung immediately, a bit like a bee sting. After an hour or so the area became very hot and red, it remained like that for several days and was sore, even more so if touched. It is amazing how many times people touch your arm!
I also had a headache, briefly, but felt very tired for about a week. I admit I did eventually Google the side affects and found that I was one of the unlucky few.
No one else that I know has had this experience after the vaccination.

Jaxjacky Tue 26-Mar-24 19:20:09

*Witzend contact 111 if in doubt, they’ll direct you.

HelterSkelter1 Tue 26-Mar-24 19:27:46

Shingrix is a 2 dose vaccination the previous shingles vaccination was only one dose.

Allex50 Tue 26-Mar-24 19:52:33

Well, as the OP I mentioned Shingrix. No one has mentioned which one they've had. Zostavax is I believe the older one and I have read only 50% effective (the one I had and it failed to prevent excruciating pain in the jaw around the teeth). Shingrix is supposed to be 97% effective BUT the may be side effects. Research it well. Interested in other views about Shingrix. Thanks.

RinseAndRepeat Wed 27-Mar-24 08:10:44

My wife and I had our Shingrix injections last year. I was laid low for a couple of days after the first one, and the effects after the second injection were even worse. Various studies suggest that this is normal. However, the benefit is 90%+ protection from Shingles in all age groups.

Interestingly, the manufacturer and the FDA/CDC recommend that the second dose should be given in the period 2 to 6 months after the first. I would be interested to know why the UK is an outlier with a 6 to 12 month policy, and what effect this might have the level of protection?

www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/hcp/shingrix/faqs.html

HelterSkelter1 Wed 27-Mar-24 12:39:54

My 2nd Shingrix in the UK was about 3 months or so after the first. Certainly not 6 to 12 months.
I had no side effects at all, but I had had shingles a few months before and probably I had not got a very strong immune system so soon after chemo finishing.

Sparklefizz Wed 27-Mar-24 12:44:55

After reading various posts here, I think the nurse yesterday gave me the wrong info about having the 2nd vax 6-12 months later.